Whining

3 posters

Go down

Whining Empty Whining

Post by Tessa Sun Oct 28 2012, 04:42

Hi again, everyone!

Amado has been doing fairly well. There is something that's been driving me mad though. He whines constantly. It sounds like he want's something, but I can't figure it out. When he has to go potty, he sits, looking at the door and whines. When he's hungry, he stares at his food bag and whines. I realize those ones are normal. But when he's sitting next to me not doing anything, he's still whining. If he's on the floor playing by himself, still whining. Or he'll stare at me and whine and won't stop even if I play with him... Sometimes I just look at him and say "What do you want?!" But of course he doesn't answer me. The only times he's not whining is when he's sleeping or chewing on something. What should I do? at wits end
Tessa
Tessa
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Amado
Dog(s) Ages : 16 weeks
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 6

https://www.facebook.com/amado.richardson

Back to top Go down

Whining Empty Re: Whining

Post by Guest Sun Oct 28 2012, 07:46

How old is he now? I take it that he's happy, lively & healthy?

What do you feed him & how often? What sort of exercise does he get?

Back to top Go down

Post by goldie87 Sun Oct 28 2012, 12:02

Zeus is the same, he always whines whenever you leave him, cant seem to get it out of him!
goldie87
goldie87
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Zeus
Dog(s) Ages : 12
Support total : 164

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Oct 28 2012, 12:32

When Tommy feels like he is being ignored he will constantly sit by my side and yeowl until he gets some attention Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tessa Sun Oct 28 2012, 23:27

He is 15 weeks today. He's very active and responding well to training. Seems completely healthy, nothing was wrong when I got him his second round of jabs at the vet. I feed him Natural Balance Sweet Potato and Fish dry food. I was wanting to try Fish4dogs, but it's not available here and this is the closest I could find. I also give him about a tablespoon of plain, unsweetened yogurt every day. I've been feeding him 4 times a day, a total of about 2.5 cups of food per day based on the suggestion of the brand.
Natural Balance Sweet Potato and Fish

During the day, I try to play with him for a while every hour or two. We play tug of war, fetch, training for about 15 minutes a day, running up and down the stairs several times a day, we go for a 20 minute walk once or twice a day depending on weather, sometimes he swims in our pond...

He wants to sit right at my side all the time. I do work at my computer, so I have to sit here a lot. But sometimes he will be next to me whining even while I'm giving him pets and attention. Then he'll start getting more and more rowdy even when I an just calmly petting him. I feel like I play with him lots all day. Just how much does he need? I've taken to putting him in his room when I need to actively work, otherwise he will whine and pounce on me to the point where I can't get anything done. But since his room is attached to mine, only separated by a little fence, I hear him whining the while time he's in there and it's still very hard to work. He will be quiet for about 5 minutes if I give him a bit of raw hide, but I don't want to have him eating those all the time. I try to save them for when I need to leave the house.
Tessa
Tessa

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Oct 28 2012, 23:35

It sounds like he's just attention seeking, which is quite common in pups that are going through teething, which I would imagine he is?

I wouldn't give him rawhide (certainly not unsupervised) as they can chew off large-ish pieces that swell in the stomach & can cause a blockage.

If you put him behind a gate or in another room & he whines, you must just try to ignore him - it'll drive you nuts for a while, but he will get used to it after a while. When he's in another room, try leaving a radio on softly - a talk station is best - just to keep him company.

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomos 2 Sun Oct 28 2012, 23:43

To be honest , I think he has probably associated whining with getting what he wants Sad , sometimes I think they are so much like children. All I can suggest is give him time alone for very short periods, build it up gradually, making sure he's got toys and chews, turn your music up so that your not tempted to give in and give him loadsof fuss when you get back to him. Its just a suggestion but I do hope it works for you! Smile
Thomos 2
Thomos 2

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : enzo & enya
Dog(s) Ages : 6months
Dog Gender(s) : male & female
Support total : 70

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomos 2 Sun Oct 28 2012, 23:45

Laughing Carryl, I was writing that at the same time as you!
Thomos 2
Thomos 2

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : enzo & enya
Dog(s) Ages : 6months
Dog Gender(s) : male & female
Support total : 70

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Oct 28 2012, 23:46

Thomos 2 wrote: Laughing Carryl, I was writing that at the same time as you!

Snap! Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by Tessa Mon Oct 29 2012, 00:05

I didn't know that about rawhide...

It seems like he's been teething the entire time I've had him. Very mouthy and always eager to chew on things. He's been mostly good about chewing on things I give him and not the furniture.

Except for the first two weeks I had him, I've been leaving him in his room when I have to do something that he can't be with me for. Whether it's 5 minutes or an hour, he just whines the entire time. I always ignore him when he's doing it and try to only let him out of his room once he stopped whining, but most of the time he just doesn't stop. He'll cry himself to sleep, and that's when I go in to get him. I've had him for 8 weeks now, how long will it take him to get used it it?

He'll whine when he knows he's going to be fed or given treats, but I make him sit and be quiet for a bit before giving it to him. I try to ignore him whenever he's whining, but since he just whines constantly, I don't want to completely ignore him all the time. It feels like a catch 22.
Tessa
Tessa

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down