+5
micheled
Jackieb
munschk
Kathy
stella
9 posters

Go down

Struggling to get Tommy to "give paw" or say please , any good ideas Empty Struggling to get Tommy to "give paw" or say please , any good ideas

Post by Guest Wed Oct 24 2012, 19:47

Nothing seems to be working for him , best I can do is get him to slightly lift one paw off the ground and no further no matter what I've got in my hand Sad . Meanwhile Till is dancing all round him high fiving, low fiving , one paw , 2 paws and everything to try and get his treats Laughing

Back to top Go down

Struggling to get Tommy to "give paw" or say please , any good ideas Empty Re: Struggling to get Tommy to "give paw" or say please , any good ideas

Post by Guest Wed Oct 24 2012, 19:55

Can't help, Dave, I haven't taught that since I had the Border Collies!

Back to top Go down

Struggling to get Tommy to "give paw" or say please , any good ideas Empty Re: Struggling to get Tommy to "give paw" or say please , any good ideas

Post by stella Wed Oct 24 2012, 20:01

if you sat tilly and tommy together and kept getting tilly to give her paw,after a while might tommy copy her if he could see she was getting a treat for it,just an idea thinking
stella
stella
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : sasha
Dog(s) Ages : 15years RIP
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 1747

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Oct 24 2012, 20:13

already done that a little Stella Smile and he just looks completely bemused that Tilly gets a treat by putting up her paw, waving her paw , giving me the other one but he stays perfectly still and gets nothing , really think he's a bit thick , like when he knows I've got biscuits in my combats side pocket so he tries and eats them through the material instead of sticking his nose in my pocket Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Oct 24 2012, 20:15

To teach harv, once he was sat i'd tap his leg at the back until he lifted it and put it in my hand, and say 'paw' as soon as it's in my hand

Back to top Go down

Post by stella Wed Oct 24 2012, 20:17

Laughing Laughing poor tommy,he just must be a late learner!
how about when you ask him for his paw,you give it a little nudge from behind his paw??
stella
stella

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : sasha
Dog(s) Ages : 15years RIP
Support total : 1747

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Oct 24 2012, 20:19

I've got to try it whilst Tilly isn't there I think , we haven't done a lot of training with him apart from the recall and sit stuff, lead walking etc as my daughter wanted to be the one to work with him but she seems to be forgetting even though I offered her 20 quid a trick

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Wed Oct 24 2012, 20:24

Dave I really dont want to worry you, but could there be something wrong with Tommys shoulder or back which might explain why he wont do this trick ??
Kathy
Kathy
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Oct 24 2012, 20:25

I never got Lexi to do more than sit, leave and "in" or "out"

Some have it and some don't!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Oct 24 2012, 20:26

Don't think so Kathy he walks fine , runs fine , jumps , rolls over raises paws to table etc , just about everything besides actually giving a paw

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Oct 24 2012, 20:27

Hayley wrote:I never got Lexi to do more than sit, leave and "in" or "out"

Got them all covered with Tommy now and lick (instead of bite) , well that one half works Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Oct 24 2012, 20:46

Dave wrote:
Hayley wrote:I never got Lexi to do more than sit, leave and "in" or "out"

Got them all covered with Tommy now and lick (instead of bite) , well that one half works Smile

Well yeah she will kiss on command, and not kiss at all. Stops biting when you shout at her lol

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Oct 24 2012, 22:25

Have you tried using roast chicken? Loki spent two days looking at me like I was insane trying to teach him paw, then I used some chicken and, lo and behold, he knew the trick Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Oct 25 2012, 06:42

ANattyRat wrote:Have you tried using roast chicken? Loki spent two days looking at me like I was insane trying to teach him paw, then I used some chicken and, lo and behold, he knew the trick Laughing
can be proper food tarts sometimes can't they Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by munschk Thu Oct 25 2012, 15:42

Have you tried a really great smelling treat (I find salami is a winner for this) and holding it in a closed fist in front of Tommy? I find that usually a dog will sniff and try to force his nose between your fingers and when that doesn't work, they will try pawing at your hand.

I used this to teach Hiccup to paw and high five as he wasn't a huge fan of picking up his feet. The moment he pawed my closed fist then I clicked and treated (I'm sure a 'good boy' and then the treat will serve just as well if you don't use clicker training).
munschk
munschk
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Hiccup
Dog(s) Ages : 24 November 2011
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 51

Back to top Go down

Post by Jackieb Thu Oct 25 2012, 17:40

Took me ages to teach Tank too ! Must be a boy thing ?

The way that worked for him, I'd gave him sit, show him the treats say paw abd hold my hand out infront of his, then I'd physically lift his paw up and shake it saying 'paw' then give him the treat.

After a few days the penny dropped and he will give paw all the time.

Can't get him to lay down, show belly yet tho so we are working in that !
Jackieb
Jackieb
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Diesel & Tank
Dog(s) Ages : Diesel - May 2011. Tank - March 2012
Dog Gender(s) : Girl & Boy
Support total : 245

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Oct 25 2012, 17:43

I can flick him on his back for a belly rub in the blink of an eye but ask him to do it and i've no chance

Back to top Go down

Post by micheled Thu Oct 25 2012, 17:57

Took Cal 2 weeks, she was a bit slow too.

Now she reaches out and paws my leg and shows me that she's lifting her her paw up when I have food that she wants. : Smile
micheled
micheled

Status Status :

Female
Support total : 74

Back to top Go down

Post by truebaggie Thu Oct 25 2012, 19:28

Suki will give a paw,I just kept tapping her paw,mind she a greedy little pup AMD will almost do anything for a treat. Wink
truebaggie
truebaggie
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : sukie
Dog(s) Ages : 1 year old
Support total : 6

Back to top Go down

Post by karlsblue Thu Oct 25 2012, 22:44

my pups learnt quite alot from the older dog but at the same time u probly have to do it with just you and the the pup, otherwise the older one gets in the way trying to give you its paw hahah, alls i have done is tapped the back of the leg/paw and give it a treat if it done so Smile... treat, pat and praising
karlsblue
karlsblue

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : jake
Dog(s) Ages : 16weeks
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 9

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Thu Oct 25 2012, 22:45

what i did it tap the back of the leg and when they had the paw up give them a a treat

Steve

Status Status :

Male
Support total : 1443

https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Nosipho Fri Oct 26 2012, 09:31

I've trained so many dogs but my usual methods never worked with Tali so I had to try and work round her strange mindset! Maybe Tommys a weirdo like her! She couldn't work out how to give paw for so long and I would use the usual method of lifting her paw and rewarding her when she had it on my hand etc. No joy, for over a year! then by chance I found that if I get her to sit and then move the treat to the left slowly in front of her face (for right paw) then she would lean towards the treat and have to lift her paw off the floor! I then rewarded her for it and kept repeating and it finally clicked! Maybe try this method Smile
Nosipho
Nosipho

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Skibadee, Tali, Kali-Mist, Nugget and Meg
Dog(s) Ages : 25/8/2005 - 01/10/2008 - 01/08/2012 - 23/10/2013992
Dog Gender(s) : All Girlies
Support total : 191

http://www.nosiphostaffords.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down