Tips on moving house

3 posters

Go down

Tips on moving house Empty Tips on moving house

Post by Lisa & Kuta Mon Jan 24 2011, 04:29

So, with the birth of our first child fast approaching, we are moving into a larger house in a few weeks time. Does anyone have any good tips to make the move as stressless as possible for Kuta? We went around and had a look at the place yesterday and he had a good run around in the yard and sniffed and pee'd everywhere. The yard is about 4 times the size of our current place too so I am hoping his digging out and escaping days will come to an end as he will have heaps more room to play through the day when we're at work.
Anyway, any ideas that have helped you guys when moving house would be great, thanks.
Lisa & Kuta
Lisa & Kuta
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Kuta & Brutus
Dog Gender(s) : both Males
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Tips on moving house Empty Re: Tips on moving house

Post by Guest Mon Jan 24 2011, 10:01

you have already done the base work as it is without you noticing him running round the yard leaving his scent will help him settle in a lot quicker when there for good

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jan 24 2011, 10:08

I am sure you have done the basics like checking the fences etc.
Take with you what ever he loves the most and make sure you let him explore the whole house..
Any chance there will be someone home with him for the first week or so?
when is Your baby due? congrats by the way.
might be easier for him to adjust if there is someone there with him while he is settling in.
hope it all goes well for you.
take care and good luck with the baby xx

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jan 24 2011, 11:05

As above really. Let him explore as much as he needs to at first. He may try & pee in the house (mine did when we moved!) but a sharp "no!" will do the trick. I take it the fencing is strong & secure? You could always run some chicken wire around the base of the fence & overlapping on to the garden floor about 12" or so to discourage digging?

When the little one due? Hope all goes really well for you!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jan 24 2011, 14:06

we did the same with my last staffy when i moved house .. he came round with us, went around the house and garden made his scent in the garden and then when it came to moving in, he was the last thing we moved so that he wouldn't be left in the new house on his own whil going back and forth to and from the old house to the new, so he knew he wasn't been left in a new enviroment on his own and stressing out

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Mon Jan 24 2011, 14:58

http://staffy-bull-terrier.co.uk/movinghouse.html

Steve
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Male
Support total : 1443

https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Lisa & Kuta Tue Jan 25 2011, 06:26

Thanks guys, baby is due 26th July. We have checked out the fence, it is pretty secure. The entire front fence line is bricked so he cant dig under that. The rest of the fence is picket, we may have to put some chicken wire down but we will see how he goes. At least if he does try to dig under it, he will end up in a neighbours yard.
I will have 4 days off when we more, so it will give me 2 days at home (moving will only be on sat/sun) to spend with him in the new house. My partner is also planing on putting a runner line from the house down to the back fence so if he does play up, we can put him on that while we're out.
He will then have a good length to run.
Hopefully, the move will go well and he will settle in quickly. We may look at getting a puppy soon anyway for company, will have to think about that more though.
Thanks for the advise guys.
Lisa & Kuta
Lisa & Kuta

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Kuta & Brutus
Dog Gender(s) : both Males
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by acidrane13 Tue Jan 25 2011, 16:58

i heard that when moving, a good thing to do is before you take your dog to the new house, take him for a really long walk, (up to 3 hours if possible) with the end of the walk being the new house.

Apparently this relates back to their natural instincts, as in the wild, when changing territories, the long walk to a new territory prepares them for change.

Duno how true this is, seems to make sense though. Always worth a try.
acidrane13
acidrane13
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Tips on moving house Top_ra10

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Chase
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 4

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content