Thundershirts... Has anyone heard of them and if so do they really work?

+5
Kathy
bullsmommy1
kaztaz
bobs
EmLou28
9 posters

Go down

Thundershirts... Has anyone heard of them and if so do they really work? Empty Thundershirts... Has anyone heard of them and if so do they really work?

Post by EmLou28 Sun Sep 23 2012, 01:59

Hi peeps, was just wondering if anyone has heard of a dog product called Thundershirts? They are supposed to help with anxiety, hyperactive doggys, excessive barking ect ect. Its something to do with pressure points that make the dog feel supported and relaxed. Anyway the coat/shirt is around £35 so not cheap and I was wondering if anyone has used it and if so what they thought of it and if it worked for them.
While I was out walking Maggie somebody was letting fireworks off and she totally freaked, turned tail and made her way home, so I'm thinking I'm gonna have fun around firework night I dont want to s So I'm just looking into things I can do to help her stay calm when out walking her and while shes at home. I dont really want to give her any medication if I can help it so thought I would see what experience (if any) people had with this.
Any other advice or tips to help keep Maggie happy over firework night would been great too.
Thanks guys x
EmLou28
EmLou28
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Maggie- May
Dog(s) Ages : 3
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 18

Back to top Go down

Thundershirts... Has anyone heard of them and if so do they really work? Empty Re: Thundershirts... Has anyone heard of them and if so do they really work?

Post by Guest Sun Sep 23 2012, 08:42

A few of our members have them , including me , and varying degrees of success , for us it definitely calmed Tilly for fireworks etc and had a minor impact on the car travelling , the idea is they feelk snug and secure. They don't gurantee 100% success and the only way to find out is by trying it really Smile

Back to top Go down

Thundershirts... Has anyone heard of them and if so do they really work? Empty Re: Thundershirts... Has anyone heard of them and if so do they really work?

Post by bobs Sun Sep 23 2012, 08:45

It definitely helps Sophie with her anxiety. Not as much as we had hoped but does take the edge off her nervous hyper.
bobs
bobs
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Sophie
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 13

Back to top Go down

Post by kaztaz Sun Sep 23 2012, 10:41

kaztaz
kaztaz

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : troy
Dog(s) Ages : 12 months
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 38

Back to top Go down

Post by bullsmommy1 Sun Sep 23 2012, 13:18

I must be lucky bulley never bothers with fireworks he just carrys on with his walk however our GSD will refuse to go out and tries to hide under a table, bed sofa, anything he can get to Laughing
bullsmommy1
bullsmommy1

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Bulley, major & kaiser
Dog(s) Ages : 10,13 & 5months
Dog Gender(s) : all male
Support total : 37

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Sun Sep 23 2012, 13:39

I know our member here called Vanessa has one for her dog Jethro and it has worked very well for him.

Seriously considering one for Rocky at firework time as they do bother him a lot. We also have the DAP spray too to put on his bedding which works well too.
Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by micheled Sun Sep 23 2012, 14:56

best friends got one for their lab/border collie mix, terrified of fireworks. It didn't work for him.
micheled
micheled

Status Status :

Female
Support total : 74

Back to top Go down

Post by densil Sun Sep 23 2012, 18:51

I bought 2 thundershirts - medium and large - unfortunately they didn't work for my dog, but at least they were under guarantee and I got my money back. I wanted them to calm him down when travelling in the car as he totally stresses out, but if anything he seemed to be worse. They seem to work for a lot of dogs though so worth a try.
densil
densil
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Thundershirts... Has anyone heard of them and if so do they really work? Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Densil
Dog(s) Ages : 4
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 3

Back to top Go down

Post by EmLou28 Tue Sep 25 2012, 23:44

thanks for everyones information, I think its gonna be a get one and see what it does kinda situation as it seems like its different for each dog.
Thanks kaztaz for the link I didnt realise someone had already brought up the thundershirt subject Smile I'm in two minds to get it to be honest but its a good thing that its money back g-tee if it doesnt work so i suppose im not really wasting my money if it doesnt work Smile
EmLou28
EmLou28

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Wed Sep 26 2012, 04:52

Don't forget to let us know if it works for you!
Ben
Ben

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Frosty, Piglette
Dog(s) Ages : 3, 5
Dog Gender(s) : Male, Female
Support total : 325

Back to top Go down

Post by kate32 Wed Sep 26 2012, 17:31

Got a large one for my scooby, it helps him with travelling long distance. Make sure you get them used to it first, cuddles and treats when its on, and put it on well before the fireworks start so they don't associate it with bad things. Scooby likes wearing his. Good luck
kate32
kate32

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : maisy n scooby
Dog(s) Ages : 2 n 3
Dog Gender(s) : female n male
Support total : 19

Back to top Go down

Post by EmLou28 Thu Sep 27 2012, 00:38

Will do, hope it does help her. Smile
And thanks Kate for the advise of trying it on before fireworks night didnt even think about that doh I'll also include some lovely photos of Maggie modeling it Smile
EmLou28
EmLou28

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down