Thundershirt

+2
Kathy
densil
6 posters

Go down

Thundershirt Empty Thundershirt

Post by densil Fri Sep 07 2012, 12:43

Just got a thundershirt for Densil - mainly to help calm him down when visitors arrive as he tends to jump up and get hyperactive, but also to calm him down when travelling in the car. I ordered the medium size, but it only just about meets in the middle and doesn't look right so thinking of changing to the larger size. Did exactly what they said by putting a treat on the shirt first before putting in on him, but when it is on he rubs himself on the floor and furniture trying to get it off!
densil
densil
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Thundershirt Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Densil
Dog(s) Ages : 4
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 3

Back to top Go down

Thundershirt Empty Re: Thundershirt

Post by Kathy Fri Sep 07 2012, 13:13

Sorry but I dont have an experience of them, only go by what others here have said about them. I know Vanessa uses one for her dog Jethro with success.

I'm sure he will get used to it after a while, must feel strange to have it on for a bit.
Kathy
Kathy
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Sep 07 2012, 14:04

When we put Tilly's on her she just dozy and drifted off to sleep.

Back to top Go down

Post by bobs Sun Sep 09 2012, 11:30

Shaz here. I wish Sophie would doze off in hers. rolling on the floor

We got Sophies because she is a very anxious and hyper dog. The first one we ordered, we did her proper measurements and like you, it was waaaaaaaaaaaaaay too small. Returned item and ordered the next size up which is a snug but perfect fit. I will see if I can find a link to a picture of her in hers as I am too much of a computer numpty to post one directly Crying or Very sad

https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com/t23170-my-dog-is-friendly-grrrrrrrrrrrrrr-no-it-s-b-well-not

About three quarters of the way down on the first page. The coat is a little 'short' in the length but fits snugly around her tum Big Grin
bobs
bobs

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Sophie
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 13

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Sun Sep 09 2012, 12:30

I think thats the idea, for it to fit snuggly applying a very gentle pressure as if the dog is being held by you, a bit like cuddling a child, I can only guess, to comfort it when stressed.

I really hope it works for you and Sophie.
Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by bobs Sun Sep 09 2012, 12:40

Shaz here. A neighbour has been looking at them for her giant poodle who gets stressed in thunderstorms. She currently sits on the sofa with said scared dog and puts a blanket over the dogs head Laughing Laughing Laughing

If it works......................................... Blushing
bobs
bobs

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Sun Sep 09 2012, 12:55

Laughing Ohhh to be a fly on the wall sometimes Big Grin
Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by bobs Sun Sep 09 2012, 13:52

We could start a thread asking what (kind and legal Surprised ) people get up to with their pooches in private? Laughing Laughing Laughing
bobs
bobs

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by densil Sun Sep 09 2012, 14:29

bobs wrote:Shaz here. I wish Sophie would doze off in hers. rolling on the floor

We got Sophies because she is a very anxious and hyper dog. The first one we ordered, we did her proper measurements and like you, it was waaaaaaaaaaaaaay too small. Returned item and ordered the next size up which is a snug but perfect fit. I will see if I can find a link to a picture of her in hers as I am too much of a computer numpty to post one directly Crying or Very sad

https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com/t23170-my-dog-is-friendly-grrrrrrrrrrrrrr-no-it-s-b-well-not

About three quarters of the way down on the first page. The coat is a little 'short' in the length but fits snugly around her tum Big Grin

Thanks - had a look at the pic. The problem with Densil's shirt was the bit under the tum - it only just managed to meet. Hopefully the large one will turn up in the next few days as I can't wait to try it with him in the car.
densil
densil
Thundershirt Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Jackieb Sun Sep 09 2012, 20:41

I bought a Medium for my girl when she was about 10mths. It fitted her snugly but, overall didn't do anything for her. She was hyper, super anxious and nervous.
She still is but the difference is I can manage her behaviour now with simple commands. The Thundershirt was more something else for her to worry about and she used to roll about and pull at it to try n get it off.

My girls biggest problem was, me. My lack of confidence, health issues/restrictions that she picked up on and reacted to. Its been a struggle to get her to walk even but we have nailed it now Smile

So, see how u get on with it but it's only a fraction of what's needed xxx
Jackieb
Jackieb
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Diesel & Tank
Dog(s) Ages : Diesel - May 2011. Tank - March 2012
Dog Gender(s) : Girl & Boy
Support total : 245

Back to top Go down

Post by densil Thu Sep 13 2012, 08:51

Well the large thundershirt arrived yesterday. Fitted better than the medium, but seemed a lot bigger. Had a job to get it to wrap snuggly because there was so much more of it, and also a bit worried as it is longer in the body and is a bit near his nether regions so have to make sure it doesn;t rub.

As regards the miraculous effect it seems to have on some dogs, no such thing with Densil. As soon as I put it on he went to the door to go out for a walk. So I put his harness on and I must admit he didn't wriggle about so much and was a bit calmer. However, out on his walk didn't seem to make any difference - he still pulls when he sees cats/dogs. As soon as we got home and I took his harness off, he was rubbing himself all over the furniture and walls, obviously trying to get it off.
Will put it on him every day for next few days and then test him with it in the car to see if he calms down then.
densil
densil
Thundershirt Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by jshrew Thu Sep 13 2012, 23:10

What size chest is Densil?

Ledger is becoming a nervous wreck before car journeys (reacting as soon as I put on my work uniform or put his collar on when he is at my parents) he also has a really bad night last night when the local Chinese had an improptu firework display so seeing as rescue remedy and adaptil is having little effect a thundershirt is next on my shopping list.

Ledger is a 25" (63cm) chest but about 19kg at the moment and depending on which online store you look at depends on whether a medium or a large is reccomended
jshrew
jshrew
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Moderator

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Ledger and Maple
Dog(s) Ages : 7 and 2
Dog Gender(s) : Male and Female
Support total : 209

Back to top Go down

Post by densil Fri Sep 14 2012, 06:45

Densil is 25/26 chest (20kg)and I got the original thundershirt from pets at home. Haven't got the package in front of me but I think the medium goes up to 26 chest. The large is 24-32 chest. Think the problem is that medium doesn't quite fit as it is up to the max, and the large has a bit too much material in the body length. I have tried putting it on as close to his neck as possible but it seems to ride down with the harness on. Still going to keep trying it for a few more days sto see how it goes- after all they are covered by money back guarantee.
densil
densil
Thundershirt Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by jshrew Fri Sep 14 2012, 19:35

thanks I might see if I can find a P@H that stocks them to try one on him first
jshrew
jshrew

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by densil Sat Sep 15 2012, 15:13

I've decided to send both thundershirts back. The medium one only just fit - the flap was just secured. The large one had too much material when I wrapped it around there was nowhere for the flap to stick too. I have tried the medium one the last couple of days when out walking and have now noticed a slight redness on his tummy near his private part. The only difference I noticed that he was calmer when I tried to put his harness on. May have to look around for something similar.
densil
densil
Thundershirt Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Sat Sep 15 2012, 15:25

There does seem to be a lot of trial and error involved with this kind of thing. Sorry to hear the thundershirt didn't work for you. Have you thought about the Adaptil, DAP collar. See the link below sounds quite pricey but this place has free P&P

http://www.medicanimal.com/product/~adaptil-collar/~product_id=103099
Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by densil Sat Sep 15 2012, 18:40

Used the collar and the spray - don't think it makes any difference to him when he's in the car
densil
densil
Thundershirt Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by jshrew Sat Sep 15 2012, 20:27

Ledger is the same with the spray and rescue remedy he does settle down during the journey but it is becoming a nightmare to get him into the car he digs his heels in and shakes and it starts now when I put his lead on when Im at my parents to come home!

its a fine line between praising/reassuring him when I do get him in the car and further encouraging the behaviour and it is just my car as he happily gets into my dads but then dad only takes him on walks from the car I take him to my parents then leave him to go to work!

And the stubborness is only to get him in the boot space he will happily get onto the other seats and into his harness (though he still pants and shakes terribly when travelling) and I know this is what he wants so it very rarely happens when I am driving

A big step but I only got this car so he would have room to be muddy and out the way as in my last car he got so wound up one night when fireworks were going off and somehow despite being in his harness stretched a paw forward and released my seatbelt! but I am sorely tempted to just trade it in for something that is more economical and cheaper to run overall
jshrew
jshrew

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by densil Sun Sep 16 2012, 07:27

We have to have 2 people in the car whenever we take Densil out. He sits in the back seat in his car harness - but the design of my car means the seatbelt clip holders stick out at the top of the seat. Many times he has just stood on it and set himself free, so my husband has to sit in the back with him otherwise he would end up in the front with me. We have no trouble getting him into the car, but he shakes and pants all the time. if we stop he will start sqeaking and when we arrive at our destination he is climbing all over us trying to get out of the car.
densil
densil
Thundershirt Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Gazagem Sun Sep 16 2012, 09:16

Maybe a foldable crate will suit him better in the car I used to know a lady who had a retriever that would howl non stop when out in the car till she put it in the boot in a crate and covered the sides so it would just lay down and sleep as it was dark
Gazagem
Gazagem

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Skye
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 146

Back to top Go down

Post by densil Sun Sep 16 2012, 15:29

Unfortunately my car is not big enough to get a crate in, but he has travelled in a crate when he went back to the dog shelter - they told me he cried all the way.
densil
densil
Thundershirt Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down