typical devil dog staffy dangerous mutt

4 posters

Go down

typical devil dog staffy dangerous mutt Empty typical devil dog staffy dangerous mutt

Post by patchofthedale Fri Sep 07 2012, 19:55

This was my perception of the Stafford terrier, following the media hype that criminalized the dogs, regardless of their upbringing. If you're a Staffy, then you are a danger to children, grandmas and most probably would eat a baby. I have had the dog two days, as I was after a companion, being out of work and living on my own. My partner(complicated, but hopefully us both and the three kids will be together as a family unit before the year is out) suggested this breed, based on childhood experience. I was naturally very dubious, however decided to give it a bash.

Patch doesn't seem to be a full breed staffy, he has a bit of the dalmatian about him it seems. I would estimate he is between 1 and 2, based on his overall size. The lady i got him from explained he had no temperment issues and he had been good with her children. To her credit, he settled in reasonably well last night(confusing my bed with the dog bed a few times, however he was asked to get down and to bed and to his credit the wee fella did(for an hr or so). I have sat in the room today and repeated the same instructions, keeping him in the hallway and he has decided to call the hallway home. First thing this morning i took him for his first big walk with me, 30 mins as I am new to dog walking, however he thoroughly enjoyed it and when off the leash approached other dogs in a friendly manner(exception being a rottie that tried to take his face off, though why a dog with that temperment was off the leash in the first place I do not know, the local area has a lot of children about at that time in the morning).

The only difficulty that I have experienced with him is persuading him to come home, i.e. through the front door. He walks ahead of me on the road back from the walk and he waits at the front door, then for about twenty minutes refuses to come in. Tonight was better than lunch time, at lunch he had decided to bark at me whilst i was trying to persuade him to go in to the house. Any help or tips with this would be appreciated. He hasn't been aggressive, it felt like he was saying "no chance, im staying out to play"

Thanks in advance

Paul

typical devil dog staffy dangerous mutt Patch11
patchofthedale
patchofthedale
Regular Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Patch
Dog(s) Ages : 1 to 2 yrs old
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

typical devil dog staffy dangerous mutt Empty Re: typical devil dog staffy dangerous mutt

Post by janey Fri Sep 07 2012, 20:03

Hi & typical devil dog staffy dangerous mutt Welcome

Welcome to the staffordshire bull terrier niceboard. We are pleased you have decided to join us, and hope you enjoy your stay. We hope to see plenty of pictures of your staffordshire bull terriers or any other breed you may have in your household Smile

If you would like to enter your dog(s), puppy(s) or another pet(s) you may have into our Monthly Competition, voting starts on the 20th of every month, if you are lucky your dog maybe placed on our Hall Of Fame page on our website.

Just one last thing before you look around could you please just have a quick look At This Poll, we would love to know how you found us.

Here are some links that will get you started with the website:-

typical devil dog staffy dangerous mutt Icon_arrow Please read the Forum Rules before you start posting.
typical devil dog staffy dangerous mutt Icon_arrow Here are a List of Tutorial & FAQs that will help you around the forum.
typical devil dog staffy dangerous mutt Icon_arrow You can ask for Help here if you are having trouble doing something on the forum.
typical devil dog staffy dangerous mutt Icon_arrow How to update your Profile information
typical devil dog staffy dangerous mutt Icon_arrow If you have any ideas to improve the forum please let us know Your Feedback Here.
typical devil dog staffy dangerous mutt Icon_arrow We have a Website with alot of information if you would like to view it.
typical devil dog staffy dangerous mutt Icon_arrow Make a Donation to help us to keep improving our forum and website.
janey
janey
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

typical devil dog staffy dangerous mutt Empty Re: typical devil dog staffy dangerous mutt

Post by janey Fri Sep 07 2012, 20:06

Hiya and welcome from me and Moo, Patch is gorgeous, How long have you had him? We have another pooch here called Winston, another staff/dalmatian lol. Mines a hyena x tee hee!
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Sep 07 2012, 20:06

Hi there! Maybe you could put a little introduction here...

https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com/f7-new-member-introductions

As you've only had him for a day, I'd say he's a. getting used to you & your home and b. pushing his luck!

He'll probably need a bit more exercise than that at his age - 45 minutes to an hour, twice a day is the usual - and yes, I daresay he wanted to stay out! Wink

Next time, try taking some treets or a squeeky toy with you & when you open your front door throw the treats or toy into the hallway. Hopefully he'll follow!

Mind you, you really shouldn't be walking him off lead down the road - you only need one thing to spook him & he could be under a car before you know it. Sad

Back to top Go down

Post by patchofthedale Fri Sep 07 2012, 20:17

Hi janey and the zoo at home lol, had him two days, well last night and today, he seems to be coming along. I got the feeling he wasnt looked after anywhere near as well as he shd have been when i went in to the house to collect him which was sad.
patchofthedale
patchofthedale

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by patchofthedale Fri Sep 07 2012, 20:18

I'm very new to dog walking and the general procedures. I walked him this morning first thing at about 8 and brought him in just after half past, i then took him to the park at lunch time and just there between 7 and eight, he has had around two and a half hrs entirely today, im going to routine it for him as best as poss as i understand a routine will be important to him.Tonight i took out a rope toy that I got him and he loved playing fetch, came back quite the thing. I ignored him on the way back in from the walk after he had refused to come in and he followed me upstairs. When he sat at the top of the stairs in the hall for me i rewarded him with a dog treat. I hope I'm on the right path lol

Re roads, I am going to need to keep him on the leash i think between the house and the woods that we go to walk to and also house to the park as he seems to find himself being distracted by birds and going for a wee visit to the neighbours' garden, every neighbours garden and chasing their cats which isn't fair on the cats. For me its all about trying to be a responsible owner, which is why i spent a good while today reading up on behavioural traits and ways that I can interact with him.

The biggest challenge I will face no doubt shall be when the kids come up, i do not want them encouraging him to jump on people or on furniture, so i think i will need to set boundaries early.
patchofthedale
patchofthedale

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Fri Sep 07 2012, 20:19

Give it time, its all so new Smile
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Fri Sep 07 2012, 20:25

Hi and welcome to the forum from Rocky and me.

Just give him time and space to fit in, I'm sure he will settle into a routine in no time.
Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by patchofthedale Fri Sep 07 2012, 20:28

I'm a big disliker of the puppy for christmas behaviour that some people seem to go with, For me taking a dog home that needed a home was a much more sensible idea than approaching one of the many "breeders", I use the term loosely as there are so many now who are complete charlatans, trying to replicate the genuine, good and proper breeders without anywhere near as much effort, care and organisation being put in to the process or aftercare. I have only realised today how much the staffordshire terrier likes to play, I have never ever seen a dog as energetic as this wee one in all my life.
patchofthedale
patchofthedale

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by patchofthedale Fri Sep 07 2012, 20:30

Thanks Kathy, he has been quick at learning some things today that I honestly felt would HAVE to take weeks to work on, he is respectful when I ask him to wait as i prepare meals. Im not very happy about the diet i have him on, I think a swap to the raw food will be coming following a sliding introduction over the next week or so, these processed pet foods in the can from what I have read and the opinion I have developed after reading what everyone else has written to and fro re the pros and cons on the various diets, I feel this would work well for him.
patchofthedale
patchofthedale

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Fri Sep 07 2012, 20:32

I totally agree as I think most here do also, I would never have another breed and will always rescue. Just give Patch a bit of time and for you both to get into a routine, oh and some more pics would be nice Big Grin
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by patchofthedale Fri Sep 07 2012, 20:38

thanks for yhe friendly advice, I have a lot to learn and I certainly wont shy from being a good learner, good owner -- good dog, the first thing i learned on here earlier today when i started looking
patchofthedale
patchofthedale

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Sep 07 2012, 20:41

patchofthedale wrote:Thanks Kathy, he has been quick at learning some things today that I honestly felt would HAVE to take weeks to work on, he is respectful when I ask him to wait as i prepare meals. Im not very happy about the diet i have him on, I think a swap to the raw food will be coming following a sliding introduction over the next week or so, these processed pet foods in the can from what I have read and the opinion I have developed after reading what everyone else has written to and fro re the pros and cons on the various diets, I feel this would work well for him.

He sounds a real treasure! Love Struck

Re: the food; if you want to go raw, have a look through these sites as they'll help you to decide what & how to feed...
https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com/t14787-raw-diet
http://rawfed.com/myths/preymodel.html
http://rawfed.com/myths/preymodel.html

If you want to feed commercial complete food, then I'd go for the dry food, not the canned. Canned food is about 70 - 80% water! Choose a dry food that has its first ingredient as meat, and as little in the way of additives & fillers as possible.

Back to top Go down

Post by patchofthedale Fri Sep 07 2012, 20:46

My instinct through lack of experience was "dog food, in a tin, supermarket" and my good little friend has spent all day breaking terrible wind, which I believe is connected in some way to the food. After researching the types of food available I felt awful and that I had given him the equivalent of prison food when I'm his new owner. Steep learning curve, I found the links above through a previous post and I was impressed at the wealth of information available and believe that if I feed him this way then at the very least I can see what he is getting in his diet, rather than "supamush 500% extra free" "may contain traces of meat"
patchofthedale
patchofthedale

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Sep 07 2012, 21:48

Glad to hear you changed your opinion Smile Loki is my first Staff but I can already see what clingy, loving little things they are. Brilliant dogs provided they're treated well. It's great that you're doing all the research though, Patch is obviously going to have a great life with you. I can't really give any advice, everyone's already covered it, but I wish you the best, and keep us updated with his progress and pictures Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Sep 07 2012, 22:05

You can also use a long lead of 30 meters or so. This lets him have room to roam but allows you to get him back in areas you need more control. Keep some treats or a squeaky toy on you to get his attention as well.

Back to top Go down

Post by micheled Fri Sep 07 2012, 22:12

I think he sounds great given that it's only the first few days!
micheled
micheled

Status Status :

Female
Support total : 74

Back to top Go down

Post by patchofthedale Fri Sep 07 2012, 22:20

guys you've all been wonderful i really appreciate the honest and good advice on here, its been superb. I washed his bed for him in order to ger him used to my smell and have given him an old towel to lie with which he has made his own. Big test comes when the kids come up to see me, I have a 1.5yr old who loves dogs and a 6 and 7 yr old, the 6 yr old is wary of dogs which I hope i can change and my eldest daughter is neither here nor there, she will probably go on the cuteness factor. I have started ensuring he isnt allowed in the room that I am eating in when I am eating and he eats only in the kitchen, I understand food and small children can b an issue with some food possessive dogs
patchofthedale
patchofthedale

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by patchofthedale Fri Sep 07 2012, 22:26

I was terrified of these dogs for such a long time, many will know esp from the UK (not sure what the situation is in Europe and the states) thugs use these dogs amongst others as "status" and have them gnarling and snapping away, this is what is fueling these ridiculous media hype outbursts. There is no reasoning for a dangerous animal, but Im guessing nine times out of ten the owner has the responsibility for how the animal conducts its self and it can be prevented through the use of correct training and not assaulting the animal.
patchofthedale
patchofthedale

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Fri Sep 07 2012, 22:29

Much like a child, they are what there owners are. Simple Xx
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down