Would you say a Staffy X Pitbull a dangerous dog?

+17
CARRIELOU
Rachel33
stevi3
Staffiesrus
Buster's_Mum
snappy
HManuel
Bella-Boo74
Chantel
George
Gazagem
roxyrocket
shakespearesdog
Steve
janey
Taz
lukeey
21 posters

Go down

Would you say a Staffy X Pitbull a dangerous dog?

Would you say a Staffy X Pitbull a dangerous dog? Pbucket4%Would you say a Staffy X Pitbull a dangerous dog? Pbucket 4% 
[ 3 ]
Would you say a Staffy X Pitbull a dangerous dog? Pbucket24%Would you say a Staffy X Pitbull a dangerous dog? Pbucket 24% 
[ 19 ]
Would you say a Staffy X Pitbull a dangerous dog? Pbucket72%Would you say a Staffy X Pitbull a dangerous dog? Pbucket 72% 
[ 57 ]

Total Votes : 79

Would you say a Staffy X Pitbull a dangerous dog? Empty Would you say a Staffy X Pitbull a dangerous dog?

Post by lukeey Tue Mar 13 2012, 01:25

hey guys ive had a few people come up to me while i have been walking Taz and they say, be carefull near Police with that dog because they can take it off you, and some people saying that he is dangerous and scary, and some have dragged there kids and other dogs away from him.

its really annoying when i no what Taz is like.
(hes a good dog harmless thing)
lukeey
lukeey
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Taz
Dog(s) Ages : 2yrs
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 5

Back to top Go down

Would you say a Staffy X Pitbull a dangerous dog? Empty Re: Would you say a Staffy X Pitbull a dangerous dog?

Post by Taz Tue Mar 13 2012, 02:55

No I wouldn't - I'm a great believer in it being the other end of the lead - generally speaking.

But - the Pitbull Terrier (PBT) is banned under DDA in the UK - this Link is the guide that shows how enforcers would asses a dog they think looks like a pit type - Is your dog full staff ?

http://www.defra.gov.uk/publications/files/dogs-guide-enforcers.pdf

if you Make sure your dog is well trained and behaved in public then nobody has a valid reason to suspect your dog of being dangerous or out of control and intimidating - which can apply to any breed.
Taz
Taz
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Would you say a Staffy X Pitbull a dangerous dog? Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : 'lil Miss Taz Devil Demoania ~ TAZ
Dog(s) Ages : 31:05:2011
Dog Gender(s) : She's a lady, a tinker, a beauty, an a real b!tch
Support total : 27

Back to top Go down

Would you say a Staffy X Pitbull a dangerous dog? Empty Re: Would you say a Staffy X Pitbull a dangerous dog?

Post by janey Tue Mar 13 2012, 09:23

Taz wrote:
if you Make sure your dog is well trained and behaved in public then nobody has a valid reason to suspect your dog of being dangerous or out of control and intimidating - which can apply to any breed.

Couldn't agree more!
janey
janey
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by lukeey Tue Mar 13 2012, 09:46

hes his trained up to be a good dog and to answer your question Taz my Taz is a Staffy X Cross Pit but he mainly staffy i would say
lukeey
lukeey

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Tue Mar 13 2012, 09:53

I would miss out the 'pit' bit entirely, you just have a staffy x!
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by lukeey Tue Mar 13 2012, 10:06

i am just going to say hes a Staffy X from now on lol see what people say and do then
lukeey
lukeey

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Mar 13 2012, 10:13

i would also just say you got a staffie x as its very very unlikely there any pit in there.
(not directed at you)a lot of people will say there pups have pit in them as they think they will get rid of the pups easy if people think there getting a status dog

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Tue Mar 13 2012, 10:19

yea warren is right it's very unliky you have a pitbull x only a select few will have a real pit in the uk you may have a staffy X type, but type doesn't mean you have a real pitbul it's a dog that as similar look at a pitbull

Steve

Status Status :

Male
Support total : 1443

https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by shakespearesdog Tue Mar 13 2012, 10:26

No dog breed is born dangerous or nasty whatever the breed. It is a myth there Pitbulls have a different mental make-up and will one day 'turn' or are more aggressive then any other breed. They are just dogs the same as any other and make very good pets. There are some breeds of dog that are naturally suspicious and more prone to biting-but no dog attacks for no reason. Generally, world wide, the most common human to dog attacks are performed by golden retrivers, jack russell terriers, springer spanials, siberian huskeys and chowchows.
It's also very unlikely that your dog has American Pitbull Terrier in him. I wouldn't go around telling people he is part pitbull, all it takes is one dog hating policeman and he can be seized and destroyed regardless of how well behaved he is.
Its hard to tell just from your avatar picture but he looks nothing like a pitbull, just a big staffy.

shakespearesdog
Banned
Banned

Status Status :

Female
Dog(s) Ages :
Support total : 55

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Mar 13 2012, 10:41

lukeey wrote:hes his trained up to be a good dog and to answer your question Taz my Taz is a Staffy X Cross Pit but he mainly staffy i would say

Please don't mention the 'pit' side of it to anyone! That will automatically make it a pit bull 'type' and could be seized! As already said, though, it's unlikely it was actually a true pit bull.

shakespearesdog wrote:No dog breed is born dangerous or nasty whatever the breed.

That isn't quite true. There are dogs born with a vicious genetic trait - it does run in families! I know it's unusual, but it can happen.

Back to top Go down

Post by roxyrocket Tue Mar 13 2012, 11:16

jstaff wrote:Depends on the handler. Any large dog has the potential to be dangerous if not trained properly.

I totally agree with this comment except I would say 'any dog' not just 'large dog'
roxyrocket
roxyrocket

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Roxy
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 27

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Mar 13 2012, 11:19

Herman's Human wrote:viciousness is a human trait. dogs can reflect this trait when they are subjected to it by the humans responsible for them. compounding the problem is the injustice of blaming the dog. at wits end

Yes, but there are pups born from nasty parents who were born from nasty parents! Viciousness (aggression, whatever you want to call it) can and does run in the family. Nowadays it's quite rare because people tend not to breed from vicious dogs, but it can happen.

Back to top Go down

Post by Gazagem Tue Mar 13 2012, 11:22

When i first left school i worked in a kennels that had siezed pits in it and out of 14 dogs 8 were pts only because the owners were not agrreing to the dda (i know its a stupid law but if it ment me having my dog back i would follow it to the letter)
2 went back home to live with young kids and the rest just went back to their owners (not sure if they had kids)
Out of those 14 only 1 was dangerous and the reason he was in kennels for 3 years and had gone a bit crazy when out on walks (he was one of those pts as he was deamed unsuitable to go back home)

Even if your boy is a staff x pit please dont say he is you might just loose him or at least go theough many years of pain where he is in a kennel and you are seperated from him
Gazagem
Gazagem

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Skye
Dog(s) Ages : 4
Support total : 146

Back to top Go down

Post by shakespearesdog Tue Mar 13 2012, 11:42

Yes, but there are pups born from nasty parents who were born from nasty parents! Viciousness (aggression, whatever you want to call it) can and does run in the family. Nowadays it's quite rare because people tend not to breed from vicious dogs, but it can happen.
Yes that is true but its unusual nowdays so I didn't mention it. Puppies do inheriate their mother and fathers personalities-they proved this with the silver fox domescation experiments in Russia.
Thats why if you buy a puppy its important to meet both parents and possibly the grandparents as well to see what they are like. Of course how you raise the pup has a huge amount to do with it but if a pup is born with a baseline nervous personality it will always remain a bit nervous.
No human aggressive dog should be bred from and its best not to breed from dog aggressive parents but of course it does happen, more with the later then the former nowdays.

shakespearesdog
Banned
Banned

Status Status :

Female
Dog(s) Ages :
Support total : 55

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Mar 16 2012, 11:52

pixie79 wrote: Don't you wish you could just tell people to mind their own business and sod off?!
it's crossed my mind :-<

Back to top Go down

Post by George Tue Mar 20 2012, 21:26

I think any dog in the wrong hands could be a potentially dangerous dog and peoples misguided fear of so called dangerous dogs can make it even worse.
At our local park all dogs are allowed off the leed for a run once they're kept close to the owner. The west highland terriers and jack russels are petted and played with by anyone they pass but as soon as a local breeders staff shows up its all dogs in the cars and kids are picked up off the grass. One woman was walking along the hedgerow and hadn't seen the staff. She came upon it and started to run. Of course the dog thought this was a great game and ran along side her. She started to scream when she couldn't get into her car quick enough as the dog sat on the ground wagging his tail with his tongue hanging out of the side of his mouth. This happened so quickly and was so innocent but that woman because of her irrational fear of these dogs had a horrible experience and all she wanted was to go for a walk.
Just goes to show how peoples imagination will make opinion of our beloved breed worse.

George
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Support total : 3

Back to top Go down

Post by Chantel Tue Apr 17 2012, 11:48

We had a staff x pitt, rest his little soul, and he did not have a single dangerous bone in his body. He was loving to everyone, I cannot remember a single moment he ever barked or growled at another dog or person. He would most likely have licked someone to death out of sheer happiness. To me, it all depends on the owner. If you're going to treat your dog badly or use harsh training methods, you're going to end up with the obvious result of having an aggressive dog, and in the end, the dog will be blamed. Its not fair, but unfortunately its the way things go.
Chantel
Chantel

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Maska & Loki
Dog(s) Ages : Maska 1 year and a bit & Loki 6 months
Dog Gender(s) : Male & Female
Support total : 127

Back to top Go down

Would you say a Staffy X Pitbull a dangerous dog? Empty Dangerous??? People are ignorant and dangerous not animals!

Post by Bella-Boo74 Fri Jul 06 2012, 12:04

I have always had staffies but come on really what is wrong with Pitbulls? Having worked in the field for a long time its People that need educating! Look at Ceaser Milan he has Daddy that educates people and problematic canines. People are ignorant to the breed. I love my Staffie but I also love Pitbulls. People cross the road when I am walking my dog and she is smiling and wagging her tail! [b][center]
Bella-Boo74
Bella-Boo74
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Bella Boo Boo's
Dog(s) Ages : 2
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Fri Jul 06 2012, 12:45

pitbulls are banned in the uk

Steve

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Fri Jul 06 2012, 21:19

no body saying pitbull are dangerous dog but they are banned in the uk

Steve

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jul 06 2012, 21:21

No bad dogs just bad owners

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jul 07 2012, 13:33

Nope a pitbull is not a dangerous dog I've met many in America and not one was 'dangerous'

Back to top Go down

Post by HManuel Tue Jul 10 2012, 11:01

my grandparents used to breed beagles (not quite the same) but they always stood by the saying "theres no such thing as a bad dog, just bad people"

obviously some dogs will be born with chemical imbalances that may cause them to act out but i feel this is a very true statement!
HManuel
HManuel

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Pablo, Lola, Rolo
Dog Gender(s) : 2M 1F

Back to top Go down

Post by snappy Mon Aug 06 2012, 11:35

ANattyRat wrote:Is it illegal (in the UK) to have a Pitbull cross, or is it just a purebreed Pitbull that's banned? Such a shame, they're gorgeous dogs, and always seem incredibly loving and loyal Sad

The pitbull terrier is a banned dog in UK but it is not recognized as a breed and the DDA goes by TYPE so how your dog looks is more important than what it actually is & how it behaves.

However I am led to believe in my area/county I am able to neuter, microchip & tattoo a registered pitbull type voluntarily under the DDA but the dog can not be assessed until it is 9months old.
snappy
snappy

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Buddy
Dog(s) Ages : under 1 yr
Dog Gender(s) : male

Back to top Go down

Post by Buster's_Mum Mon Aug 06 2012, 12:52

Pit bull type is banned in the UK - so any dog of any breed that has certian measurements and looks.

They can be put on an exempted dogs register (I think it's called, but I read so many things I could've got that bit wrong confused ) but I don't think you can put your dog on there voluntarily. First your dog would have to be seized, be assessed, then go through court and hopefully put on there. The dog would then need to be microchipped, neutered, insured and wear a muzzle and lead anywhere in public.
Buster's_Mum
Buster's_Mum

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Buster, LuLu (chinese crested)
Dog(s) Ages : 10 months, 3 1/2 yrs
Dog Gender(s) : Male, Female
Support total : 9

Back to top Go down

Post by snappy Mon Aug 06 2012, 23:01

Index of Exempted Breeds Big Grin

Last edited by snappy on Wed Oct 03 2012, 01:01; edited 1 time in total
snappy
snappy

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Buddy
Dog(s) Ages : under 1 yr

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Aug 06 2012, 23:06

Snappy , although your personal experience is great , this is not advice that the forum can endorse. The rules are the rules and whether we accept it or not we must play by them otherwise we just bring more attention to our breeds.

Back to top Go down

Post by Staffiesrus Tue Aug 07 2012, 07:47

I dont think there are too many pure bread pitbulls in the UK and not too many pit bull crosses for that matter!

Staffiesrus

Status Status :

Male
Support total : 42

Back to top Go down

Post by stevi3 Fri Aug 17 2012, 17:05

I am a firm believer that it is all about how the dog is brought up, treated and socialised with other animals when at a young age. My uncle has a pitbull Dog and a Staffordshire bull terrier Bitch hear in Ireland, very friendly intelligent loyal dogs. He also has 3 young children 2 girls at the age of 5 and 7 and a boy at 14 never any problems. =}>-
stevi3
stevi3

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Blaze
Dog(s) Ages : 2 years 6 months
Dog Gender(s) : Dog
Support total : 10

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachel33 Fri Aug 17 2012, 17:27

I've met plenty of "pitbulls" in my job and sadly most are actually pts simply because they're of the correct measurements, and for no other reason than that. I actually almost lost my own dog, and it took three dog wardens to look at her before they agreed it was a waste of time as she's clearly too small...... It is extremely rare to meet a pure bred pit bull or even pit cross in the UK, people will breed a staffy with a slight slant to their eye and claim it to be a pit bull and sell the puppies with the name on them.

Sadly, i've met two owners claiming to have pit bulls in the past week, the first stated that her dog has never been to the vets because she's too scared that he will be taken away from her, and then asked if i'd cross my staffy bitch with her dog Rolling Eyes the second was very happy to boast that his dog had killed 9 cats and 2 other dogs and then tried to steal a dog from her kennel...These are the types of owners that we're up against.

I've met and worked with some awfully aggressive "pit bulls" and I've worked with some really lovely "pit bulls." No one can claim that the breed isn't dangerous because they ARE extremely dangerous in the wrong hands! Either way, it's best not to brag about this sort of thing. The person stating openly that he owns a pit bull generally doesn't...
Rachel33
Rachel33
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Bug (Biscuit)
Dog(s) Ages : 7 ish
Support total : 1012

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Fri Aug 17 2012, 17:49

real pits are rare, pitbull type are all over the place you can crossbreed a number of breeds to get a dog that look a bit like pit witch will be call a pitbull type..

Steve

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachel33 Fri Aug 17 2012, 17:56

Yeah you're right Steve, just don't really understand how people can base their judgments on pit bull's from these dogs as they've not got any of the real pit bull gene in them..just a similar look
Rachel33
Rachel33

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Bug (Biscuit)
Dog(s) Ages : 7 ish
Support total : 1012

Back to top Go down

Post by CARRIELOU Sat Aug 18 2012, 00:05

Re: Would you say a Staffy X Pitbull a dangerous dog?

Ironically we had the same problem with our dog also a X Pit and also called Taz!!!

He was breed for fighting and when we rescued him he was a year old nothing but skin and bones and full of cigarette burns. His owner had died and he had been alone in his home for 6 months with a corps and surviving only on his feces.

Over the years he never took to any other animals so other pets were not an option.
My children constantly nagged for puppies, kittens, birds etc. But they were always told no because Taz.

Because he was a rescue dog and his medical history was unknown no one would insure him and over the years he has cost us thousands in vet fees including a £5000 bill for ripping apart a kennel after a leg operation.
In December 2011 he had just turned 13 and diagnosed with kidney disease, arthritis, his legs were starting to go and he was loosing his will to live. So I decided after researching on the web to bring a puppy into his life. My partner was adamant he would never take to him but I believed he would give him a new lease of life. Cesar Milan stated on his web if a pup is brought home it must stay. You are the dominant one not the dog giving in means giving your dog the dominate roll. It took 1 week where the pup was in a cage after that Taz proved my partner wrong!!!
Over the next 6 months we watched Taz as he became the playful boisterous dog he always was and sooooo much happier.

When I fell pregnant with my daughter he was 4 and my partner worried he would not take to her as he had been our baby for 2 years. After her birth I sent home the towel she was wrapped in after delivery and when she came home I stripped her naked and allowed him to sniff her from head to foot. From that day he was where ever she was. And even at 6 months when she went into her own room he slept at the foot of her cot. No one could touch her unless we gave him the "Taz its ok" say so. And he was the same with my son the year later.

So the answer to your question---- No!!! However, his temperament will reflect on your ability as his master!!! A dog will only behave in a way to please his master. If you do not want him to be dangerous he will not be!! We took a fighting dog and turned his into a family pet I wouldn't exactly call that a dangerous dog!!!
[img][/img]
CARRIELOU
CARRIELOU

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : BLU AND BAILEIGH
Dog(s) Ages : BLU - 10 MONTHS, BAILEIGH - 6WKS
Dog Gender(s) : BLU - DOG, BAILEIGH - BITCH
Support total : 3

Back to top Go down

Post by Darkangel666 Wed Aug 14 2013, 11:01

my dog is a staffy x pitbull and hes the biggest sook u coould ever meet
i had one lady recon that not one ounts of pitbull in him and yet i still have ppl move quickly away from him Sad
Darkangel666
Darkangel666

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Turbo
Dog(s) Ages : 10 months and 8 days

Back to top Go down

Post by geekchic51423 Sun Aug 18 2013, 17:54

hi

Of course not, staffy's are loyal and are one of the most loyal types of dogs I have read that quote numerous times.

They can look intimidating but for now cross the pit bull out he is obviously being cared for and is gorgeous.

As long as you are caring for him right he should be fine, happy and loyal

hope I helped x Big Grin Smile

geekchic51423

Status Status :

Relationship Status : Prefer to not say
Dogs Name(s) : ella
Dog(s) Ages : 7 weeks
Dog Gender(s) : girly female

Back to top Go down

Post by EsmeTheStafford Mon Sep 16 2013, 13:18

Absolutely not shame on you Massive APBT lover and supporter. In fact, no breed of dog is dangerous. With the right owner and right knowledge on that specific breed then that single dog will be the best dog you'll ever own. Pit's are fantastic and insanely loving dogs. If the UK allowed them (which most of us are working towards) then I'd go out and get one tomorrow:x 
EsmeTheStafford
EsmeTheStafford
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Esme, Shiloh, Henry
Dog(s) Ages : 2yr, 14wk, 8yr
Dog Gender(s) : Bitch, Male, Male
Support total : 9

Back to top Go down

Post by SaraG Thu Oct 10 2013, 13:07

My boy is often mistaken for a pit bill - like yours, people cross the road with their children and dogs .
I was once stopped by the police because they saw him in the car!! He had his seatbelt on and was sitting nicely in back seat. Luckily the officer was satisfied he was ok and let me go on my way.
My vet has told me now my boy is too big to be within the pitbull measurements so that is a relief.

SaraG

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down