Lead and collar

2 posters

Go down

Lead and collar Empty Lead and collar

Post by Wilko Tue Sep 04 2012, 10:13

Just a quick question, Bought Babs a collar and lead the other day and for the life of me I cannot get her to keep the collar on. She scratches until it comes off. Should I get her a collar that will not come off and hope she stops scratching before she hurts herself or just continue and be persistent until she stops?
Wilko
Wilko
Regular Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Regular Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Babs
Dog(s) Ages : 23rd June 2012
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Lead and collar Empty Re: Lead and collar

Post by Guest Tue Sep 04 2012, 10:32

Suki tried everything to get hers off as well at first. We just kept putting it on and leaving it on at longer intervals and she got used to it. Be sure to supervise though so it doesn't get caught on something.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Sep 04 2012, 10:37

Yes, just persevere. Every time you put it on her give her a fuss, some treats, have a good game with her. Same thing every time she starts to scratch at it. Just put it on for 5 minutes, take it off. Next time put it on for 10 minutes, take it off....I'm sure you get the picture!

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril baby Tue Sep 04 2012, 11:03

Wilko wrote:Just a quick question, Bought Babs a collar and lead the other day and for the life of me I cannot get her to keep the collar on. She scratches until it comes off. Should I get her a collar that will not come off and hope she stops scratching before she hurts herself or just continue and be persistent until she stops?

How I do this is to have the collar fastened so it is too big, the pup can put their head through it without any problems, I put my hand with a treat through the collar and let the pup take the treat. Gradually I don't put my hand through as much until I don't put it through, the pup has to put her nose through the collar. Gradually let her put her head through further and further until it is behind her ears.

When she is happy with this, I place the collar on her neck then take it off again. I keep doing this but count to 2 at first, then 5 then 10 and so on until my put is happy to have the collar on, then I reduce the size to what it should be.

I do this for about 5 minutes every hour, it is surprising how quickly a pup will accept a collar.

I work similer to this when teaching a dog to wear a muzzle or head collar.

Cyril baby
Cyril baby
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Lead and collar Top_ra10

Status Status :

Support total : 73

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Sep 04 2012, 11:52

Loki did this too, and I found that playing games with him and doing some training got him used to it quickly. Course, it was all new to him so when he was settled he'd still be irritated by it, but he got used to it.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Sep 04 2012, 11:59

I found that playing games and a little training worked with Bella as well. It distracted her from the collar and she got used to it quite quickly.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down