+2
Cyril baby
Juno
6 posters

Go down

Which food? Feeding problem :( Empty Which food? Feeding problem :(

Post by Juno Fri Aug 31 2012, 10:34

Good day dir mams and sirs,

I have 11 months old female Staffbul which doesnt like granules... I dont know what to do, she eats them only if shes extremelly hungry, circa after 2 days, if she would be and adult I wouldnt bother with that probably, but when she is in development, I cant afford doing that... I dont have time as a medical worker to cook for her every day. When I brang her from the kennel, she ate Clinivet granules, shes stopped eating them, so we tried Orijen (she didnt like them as well), which made her belly full of gases, then I switched to Acana grain free (grasslands, pacifica), which is good for her belly, shes got nice poop and look, but she resigns to eat it... after one month I coocked pork bones with meat and this non salty water with meat smell I am putting with granules, but she still resigns... Then i tried Lakse Kronch salmon oil to put inside granules, she ate it 2 days and doesnt want it again... Any suggestions? I give her 85%Kronch salmon biscuits only (right now im giving ther only biscuits, so she doesnt get any proteins from lakse kronch biscuits) and only when Im training her (2-3 times per week), shes not spoiled at all. She is very muscular, has a lot of movement, weights 14,5kg, shes having everything, love, treatment, long walks, new possibilities, she must be very happy dog without any psychic problems to not to eat, but I am not happy, as this invisibly damages her cartilages and joints, which could come out after year or two... I know, that when Id buy Royal Canine, Eukanuba and other granules, she would love it... cause it is made to taste and smell well for dogs, but the content inside is really bad... So i want to feed her with the best granules possible (I know, that not every dog likes this or that and so on)... In czech republic where I live we have also possibilities for those superpremium granules: Arden Grange, Artemis, Fromm (very hard to get, but possible), Taste of the Wild (hard to get, but possible), First Mate, Orijen, Acana, Kronch and then all commercial granules... Could You help me pls with Your experience please? I loved Acana, cause it smells great, its good for her poop and energy and as well beta caroten made my gold staffie just extremelly colorful, but she doesnt Big Grin. Thank You for the advice.
Juno
Juno
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Which food? Feeding problem :( Empty Re: Which food? Feeding problem :(

Post by Guest Fri Aug 31 2012, 11:20

Here's a list of recommended dry foods

http://staffy-bull-terrier.co.uk/dryfood.html

If she is in good health she won't let herself starve. You can experiment with different foods to see if you can find a good one she will eat every time. If not put the food down for 10-15 minutes and than pick it back up and wait for the next feeding. I know it sounds means but sometimes they are just being picky.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Aug 31 2012, 11:38

I agree with jstaff, if you keep swapping & changing she'll become verry fussy.

Choose the food you want her to eat & stick with it. Put it down, leave it for 10-15 minutes and then take it up. When she's hungry she will eat. Don't worry about damaging her growth, you won't. The odd meal missed at her age really won't hurt her.

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril baby Fri Aug 31 2012, 16:09

Try soaking her food for a few hours before feeding her or mix some sardines, mackeral or tuna in, this will often encourage a dog to eat.
Cyril baby
Cyril baby
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Which food? Feeding problem :( Top_ra10

Status Status :

Support total : 73

Back to top Go down

Post by x0gawjus0x Tue Sep 04 2012, 10:03

I use wainrights now and vinnie loves it, when he doesnt fancy just plain boring biscuits, i grate a bit of cheese and put it in the microwave for 15 secs and its all gone within 2 minutes.

Try just adding something little in with it like an egg or fish oil or cheese or dog gravy anything like that im sure shed eat that up quick enough x
x0gawjus0x
x0gawjus0x
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Vinnie
Dog(s) Ages : 10/05/2012
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 6

Back to top Go down

Post by Galadriel Tue Sep 04 2012, 10:09

I'm with jstaff and Caryll, pick a good food that agrees with her like the Acana and apply a bit of tough love Smile

Galadriel
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Support total : 175

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Tue Sep 04 2012, 11:41

I have to echo the others views here, choose a food and stick with it. The more flicking around you do the more fussy she will become.
Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Sep 04 2012, 17:26

Tough love is definitely the way to go!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Sep 04 2012, 18:53

agreed as above , be tough , a healthy dog will not starve itself

Back to top Go down

Post by mrsxg Wed Sep 05 2012, 14:00

Totally agree with the others, tough love and YOU choose the food.
Lola is on Harringtons and she didnt eat it for a while and when I took it away she realised that when its down, if she doesnt eat it, she doesnt eat it!
mrsxg
mrsxg

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Engaged
Dogs Name(s) : Lola
Dog(s) Ages : 6yrs
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 28

http://[url=http://pitapata.com][img]http://pdgf.pitapata.com/re