Ways of teaching the "Speak" Command

5 posters

Go down

Ways of teaching the "Speak" Command Empty Ways of teaching the "Speak" Command

Post by Christos Tue Aug 28 2012, 16:12

Sooo I've read the topics about the Speak command but I really can't make Hector bark Tongues The only time he barks is when other dogs walk in the street under our balcony (he is DA... confused) but I don't really think that would be a great moment to say "Speak" and praise him. I am afraid that he might think I praise him because he barks at the dogs and he is angry, not because he Spoke. So what I ask you is if you have any other ideas or ways to make him bark in a non-aggrissive way so i can praise him and teach him the command.
Greetings from Greece Smile
I apologise for any grammar mistakes but I'm not a native speaker!
Christos
Christos
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Hektor
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Ways of teaching the "Speak" Command Empty Re: Ways of teaching the "Speak" Command

Post by goldie87 Tue Aug 28 2012, 16:26

The 'speak' command was one of the easiest that I taught Zeus.

I got a treat in my hand and put my hand high up enough so he can't get the treat, but low enough so he can see it.

I kept saying the word 'speak', while he was looking at the treat, he got frustrated because he didn't know what to do to get the treat but everytime he barked, as I kept sayin 'speak', he got the treat.

It didn't take him long to realise that speak means bark and it works everytime, it didn't even take me half an hour to teach him that.

Last edited by goldie87 on Tue Aug 28 2012, 16:27; edited 1 time in total
goldie87
goldie87
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Zeus
Dog(s) Ages : 12
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 164

Back to top Go down

Ways of teaching the "Speak" Command Empty Re: Ways of teaching the "Speak" Command

Post by Guest Tue Aug 28 2012, 16:27

Don't worry about your english - it's very good!

You don't need to reward him for 'speaking', but you do need to reward him for 'quiet'. So, when he barks, just keep saying "speak!", over & over again. As soon as he stops, say "Quiet" (or whatever word you want to use) and praise/treat him.

After a few repetitions he'll start to associate the two words with the actions.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Aug 28 2012, 16:34

I would have to say that staffies would be one of the harder dogs to teach this to as they are not very barky. But if you find something that makes him bark use it!

When i taught my lab to bark it was by getting his toy and squeaking it until he barked then he got the toy.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Aug 28 2012, 16:47

Speak was one of the easiest things to teach the boys, harvey is very barky when playing so i just said speak everytime he barked and he soon twigged on Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Tue Aug 28 2012, 17:37

Never really got why you would need the speak command?
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Christos Tue Aug 28 2012, 17:46

Thank you all for the answers! Hektor is a really silent dog except when other dogs walk by!
BUT, he is totally obsessed with balls so I got one and started playing with him as usual, but didnt gave it to him until he barked (i was telling him to speak all the time). I repeated a few times and I will do it again tommorow! Lets see how that goes! Smile The only weird thing is that he barked in an extremly high pitched voice! Tongues

Hello Janey! Well I dont really "need" the speak command, as I dont really need the "paw" command, but i've teached him the latter. why? because training is always good no matter what you train them to do (obviously i dont mean training them to chase cats and stuff, but normal training). So when he sits I go near him and say "paw" and he high fives me. Not that usefull right? Smile but did it hurt him to know that? I dont really think so ^^
Christos
Christos

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Hektor
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Aug 28 2012, 19:19

janey wrote:
Thinking the same

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Tue Aug 28 2012, 19:26

I like it that Moo is quiet, and wouldn't encourage her to bark, even on command, but each to there own Smile
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Aug 28 2012, 19:37

It can be useful for a dog that is barky. My lab was and teaching him to only do it on command helped me stop him when he was barking at a dust mote. But i don't think teaching a non-barker to bark is necessary..

Back to top Go down

Post by Gazagem Tue Aug 28 2012, 23:22

Both mine speak Skye is a non barker but she uses her vioice if she wants the garden if I'm not watching her
Buster is a barker but is quiter once I taught him to speak
Gazagem
Gazagem

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Skye
Dog(s) Ages : 4
Support total : 146

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Aug 28 2012, 23:49

janey wrote:

I'd like both of our 2 to use it to let us know when they want the toilet as they say nothing , only time I can get Tilly to speak is when she has her boomer ball.
Tommy will sometimes sit in my room and speak to me whilst proudly displaying his lipstick which I find a little disturbing Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by Galadriel Wed Aug 29 2012, 06:52

janey wrote:

I like it that Moo is quiet, and wouldn't encourage her to bark, even on command, but each to there own Smile

Once you put something on cue, it usually decreases in frequency; teaching 'speak' is a good way to deal with problem barking...

Galadriel

Status Status :

Female
Support total : 175

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down