How to train a staffy to speak on command

5 posters

Go down

How to train  a staffy to speak on command Empty How to train a staffy to speak on command

Post by monsterness Sun Jun 26 2011, 17:46

Hi all how do i teach Malkie to speak on command she is only just gone 12 weeks walks great on the lead with my other cross both on 1 lead , gradually getting her to stop biting my arm because of teething now i want her to speak and before anyone says talking dog Smile .I just want her do bark if the wife is walking her and a bunch of yobs or something happens i want the dog to warn them just by barking on command she yelps at the moment Laughing not bark the only time she will is playing tug of war with her brother she will bark and growl then when playing so any suggestions welcome thanks all Big Grin
monsterness
monsterness
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Milo & Malkie
Dog Gender(s) : Milo /boy Malkie / girl
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

How to train  a staffy to speak on command Empty Re: How to train a staffy to speak on command

Post by Guest Sun Jun 26 2011, 17:54

The way I did it with my Collies & Sheps was this.........

Have treats available in every room, or in your pockets. As soon as you dog barks at anything at all, praise her and give a trigger word, ie "Good girl, speak!" and give a treat. After a few times, test to see if she has made the connection - say "Speak" and see if she does. It may take a while with some dogs, because staffs are not really loud mouths!

Once she will speak on command, you'll need to get her to stop on command.

When she is barking, let her go on. Sooner or later she will stop. The instant she stops, say "Quiet, good girl!" and treat. Plenty of repetitions will get her there!

Back to top Go down

How to train  a staffy to speak on command Empty Re: How to train a staffy to speak on command

Post by gem Sun Jun 26 2011, 17:55

Get a handfull of treats when she has your consentration and is alert and in a sitting position say speak then try to bark yourself when she tries to imitate you give her a treat even if no sound or any sound comes out eventually she will bark to treats then try without treats for a ball and she will hopefully associate the word speak with a bark. Both my 2 know how to do it this is the way I taught them somebody else may know another way but she may be a little young its the consentration you need to master it let us know how you get on good luck Big Grin
gem
gem
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Dogs Name(s) : duke
Dog Gender(s) : dog
Support total : 83

Back to top Go down

Post by monsterness Sun Jun 26 2011, 18:34

She is VERY good for her age and bright picks things up really quick 5 weeks old she would sit on command so i am trying to stimulate her all the time with different things start the young the younger the better the staffy Russell cross does it but he just done it by accident and now will do it to will poor Will Surprised Blushing
monsterness
monsterness

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jun 26 2011, 19:41

monsterness wrote:and now will do it to will poor Will Surprised Blushing

Laughing Laughing Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by Myers Daddy Sun Jun 26 2011, 20:28

taught my dog to speak in 30min both by verbal and sign language.

I just cooked myself a good dinner that could also be fed to him and made him jealous. He started barking and when he did i put my hand near my mouth and did the sign language for speak (kinda like clapping with one hand or controlling a puppets mouth) and praised him and gave him a bit of my meal everytime. Once he realized what it meant I then attached the work 'speak'. The key is only give him a treat when he barks calmly, don't feed him if he jumps at the same time because you only enforce the BOTH actions.

I find my dog picks things up faster with a hand commandment first THEN verbal after he's got it.

I taught my dog for two reasons, 1) if they know what speak is, its easier for them to understand 'NO SPEAK' 2) He now uses his bark as a 'YES' when I ask him if he wants food, potty, or water making it much easier for both of us to communicate with each other.

hope it works out whichever way you try Smile
Myers Daddy
Myers Daddy
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Michael 'MYERS'
Dog Gender(s) : male

http://www.SDVphotos.com

Back to top Go down

Post by cowboydave Mon Jun 27 2011, 00:12

Some reslly good tips and advice here. Wanted to know thismyself so will start to try t with Stanley.

Thanks every one

thumbs up
cowboydave
cowboydave

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Stanley
Dog Gender(s) : Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jun 27 2011, 08:00

I haven't taught this to Suki yet but she does know the quiet command. Food is always a great motivator though.

Back to top Go down

Post by Polly Pocket Mon Jun 27 2011, 11:17

I have been trying to get Polly to "Speak" but she hardly ever barks anyway so she just looks at me like I am an idiot, which I possibly am lol
She does "talk" when she has something in her mouth, it's not a growl more of a nag Smile
I want to get her to talk or ask in some way when she needs to go out, if the back door is closed she just sits there until she has to go Sad
It's not always possible to know where she is at all times in our house, as she has various places she likes to take herself off to when she wants to sleep, ie, in her cage in the kitchen or on her bed in our room, or the utility room tiled floor when she is hot.
Polly Pocket
Polly Pocket
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Polly, Charlie
Dog(s) Ages : 30/1/11 & 15/2/12
Dog Gender(s) : Female & Male
Support total : 25

Back to top Go down

Post by monsterness Mon Jun 27 2011, 14:59

cowboydave wrote:Some really good tips and advice here. Wanted to know this myself so will start to try t with Stanley.

Thanks every one

thumbs up
Love Stanley what a beautiful dog should be a film star Love Struck Love Struck Love Struck Love Struck Love Struck Love Struck Love Struck
monsterness
monsterness

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by cowboydave Mon Jun 27 2011, 23:47

[quote="monsterness"]
cowboydave wrote:Some really good tips and advice here. Wanted to know this myself so will start to try t with Stanley.

Thanks every one

thumbs up
Love Stanley what a beautiful dog should be a film star Love Struck Love Struck Love Struck Love Struck Love Struck Love Struck Love Struck [/quote

Thanks for that I sure he would love to be a movie star himself....... day dreaming Not sure which puppy is in your profile pic but looks like a bit of a head turner as well....... Just wanted to add that I think Staffy's are the bestest dogs and every one I see on this forum are such beautiful looking puppies and dog's........ Love Struck

Cheers
thumbs up
cowboydave
cowboydave

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by monsterness Tue Jun 28 2011, 00:14

my pup is 13 weeks and a little bitch in more ways in one but i would not swap her for the world >Smile
monsterness
monsterness

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by cowboydave Tue Jun 28 2011, 04:22

monsterness wrote:my pup is 13 weeks and a little bitch in more ways in one but i would not swap her for the world >Smile
Laughing I hear wht you are saying there, I busted Stanley chewing on the wall in the door way to the kitchen...... He only has a million toys we have bought him but would rather chew on the timber we have around the house at wits end but we got it sorted now trying out some of this spray that is ment to put them off the idea nail biting hope it works.......
cowboydave
cowboydave

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jun 28 2011, 05:04

[ Laughing I hear wht you are saying there, I busted Stanley chewing on the wall in the door way to the kitchen...... He only has a million toys we have bought him but would rather chew on the timber we have around the house at wits end but we got it sorted now trying out some of this spray that is ment to put them off the idea nail biting hope it works.......[/quote]

I use a similar product for Suki and it seems to work fairly well. She hates the taste and I can just show her the bottle amd she will cease. The only problem is that since she likes to chew everything and the product has to be reapplied every few days since it wears off.

Back to top Go down

Post by monsterness Tue Jun 28 2011, 08:07

i would need to but it by the petrol tanker full daily Surprised but then she would probably chew the tanker >Smile my little darling will look at me as if to say who me Laughing
monsterness
monsterness

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down