+5
Jackieb
micheled
janey
Johnbelfast
katrina1987
9 posters

Go down

He keeps eating his own poo and our other dogs, is this normal Empty He keeps eating his own poo and our other dogs, is this normal

Post by katrina1987 Fri Aug 24 2012, 19:11

Well he was fine up until about 3 weeks ago and started eating his own poo and done some research and lots of sites said quite normal as they have a lot of vitamins and nutrients in there fresh poo but its all the time, if im not quick enough to pick up, its all gone and hes even know eating our other dogs Lola! Any advice please? Or tips other then picking it up quicker as hard to do with a 2 1/2 yr old and 8month old so sometimes get 20mins after hes done it, sometimes instantly if kids content. Advice please. Meant to add hes 5 1/2months old now and on good food aswell as scraps from meals and lots of chicken.

katrina1987
Regular Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Regular Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Winston (staffy), Lola (parsons terrier)
Dog(s) Ages : Winston 15 weeks and Lola almost 5
Dog Gender(s) : Winston (male) Lola (female)
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

He keeps eating his own poo and our other dogs, is this normal Empty Re: He keeps eating his own poo and our other dogs, is this normal

Post by Johnbelfast Fri Aug 24 2012, 20:30

sorry no real advice I've had the same problem on and off now for a couple of months i tried pineapples as treats a couple of times a day as ive heard it can help keep them away from their poo and for a week or so its kind of worked but he does relapse every so often. hope someone has some real advice as it does get frustrating at wits end
Johnbelfast
Johnbelfast
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Bud, ammo
Dog(s) Ages : 7 months and 4 months
Dog Gender(s) : Male

Back to top Go down

He keeps eating his own poo and our other dogs, is this normal Empty Re: He keeps eating his own poo and our other dogs, is this normal

Post by janey Fri Aug 24 2012, 21:20

Never experienced it thankfully. There are a number of things people suggest but I think the only thing to really work is being 1 step ahead and a firm no when you catch them
janey
janey
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Aug 24 2012, 21:45

agree with Janey , only seen it once with Tilly sick and no more . To my knowledge Tommy doesn't otherwise there wouldn't be so much to clean up in the garden every day.
If you do a search though there has been quite a few posts on this topic and generally it seems to be something you have to be sharp with but they do grow out of it

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Aug 24 2012, 21:47

For his own you can try feeding a bit of pineapple as for others you really just have to watch him.

Back to top Go down

Post by micheled Sat Aug 25 2012, 14:56

Callie prefers deer poop. It's so incredibly disgusting banghead
micheled
micheled

Status Status :

Female
Support total : 74

Back to top Go down

Post by Jackieb Sat Aug 25 2012, 15:02

Teach the 'leave' command !

And pick it up before they do !! That's what I have to do with my girl, I call her a poop eating monster lol
Jackieb
Jackieb
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Diesel & Tank
Dog(s) Ages : Diesel - May 2011. Tank - March 2012
Dog Gender(s) : Girl & Boy
Support total : 245

Back to top Go down

Post by Anastasia Sun Aug 26 2012, 06:52

I have been having the same issue with Nala . We tried averything and the only thing that worked was this powder my husband ordered from the states called for - bid it worked wonders .
Anastasia
Anastasia
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Nala
Dog(s) Ages : 18 months
Dog Gender(s) : Female

Back to top Go down

Post by xpamixpami Sun Aug 26 2012, 20:15

Hi i had the same problem with Oscar my pup who is 8 weeks old i have found since i started giving him treats for doing it in the right place and turning his head away from it at the same time and saying No it works also we have put him on Royal Canin puppy food which has made a huge difference .I mentioned it to the vet though the other day when he got his first Jag and she said also to try puting tabasco sauce on it and they would never touch it again.. Laughing

Pam Smile
xpamixpami
xpamixpami

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Oscar
Dog(s) Ages : 7 weks
Dog Gender(s) : male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Aug 26 2012, 21:03

Now thats a good tip xpamixpami but can you imagine if the neighbours were looking out a window into your garden as you went to garnish a fresh poo with tabasco sauce Surprised rolling on the floor

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Aug 27 2012, 01:01

Denise wrote:Now thats a good tip xpamixpami but can you imagine if the neighbours were looking out a window into your garden as you went to garnish a fresh poo with tabasco sauce Surprised rolling on the floor

We all like different condiments....... :-$

Back to top Go down

Post by Matt Vandart Tue Aug 28 2012, 11:54

What you need to do first is work out why he's eating it then you can stop it.
Not saying this happened but a common reason for eating poop is if the owner has shouted at the puppy for crapping somewhere they were not meant to and it has been way to late after the event of actually pooping.
Can you outline EXACTLY how you have been toilet training the dog please.
I can probably help you then.

Matt Vandart

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by goldie87 Tue Aug 28 2012, 12:03

I've had this same problem with Zeus ever since I've had him. Hes not as bad as he used to be because he knows he shouldnt do it, but if we leave him outside unsupervised, he won't think twice about eating it. I've tried everything in the book, charcoal biscuits, pineapple, 'stool repel' from Pets At Home and it doesn't work. He knows he shouldnt do it but he does, I'm hoping he grows out of it!
goldie87
goldie87

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Zeus
Dog(s) Ages : 12
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 164

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Aug 28 2012, 14:28

Maybe missing certain nutrients? Also, try distracting with banana.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down