help im frustrated!

+2
Nosipho
raverhayley
6 posters

Go down

help im frustrated! Empty help im frustrated!

Post by raverhayley Thu Jan 13 2011, 11:19

hi everyone!

i have a 13 wk old male staffie, we bought him only a few weeks back and had to wait to get injections done etc before he could go out.......before he was allowed outside we trained him to pee/poo on pup matts, he got excellent at it, we moved the matts near the back door to prepare him for when he could finally do the business in the garden.
Now he is allowed in the garden ( has been going out in garden a week now ) he will do the occasional toilet out there, but for some reason has now taken to peeing and pooping absolutley anywhere in the house, its like he has gone backwards not fowards...... if he wees n poos on carpet we immidiatley put him in the garden, weve even put some pup matts back down to try and start over but he ignores them now aswell.
When he goes to the toilet in the garden we praise him up etc to let him no hes a good boy, but its still not working.
Even when we take him on long walks, we try to walk him until he has gone to the tiolet,but sometimes he wont then does it on the carpet as soon as we get home!

Help!
raverhayley
raverhayley
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Bruiser
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

help im frustrated! Empty Re: help im frustrated!

Post by Guest Thu Jan 13 2011, 11:28

I think you're going to have to go back to basics! You've changed his routine & he's probably a bit confused.

I personally wouldn't bother with the mats or paper. I'd start taking him into the garden every hour or so, and waiting 10 minutes to let him have a good sniff around and hopefully relieve himself. As soon as he does, plenty of praise. You might want to try using a special word for him like 'empty' or something like that. Every time he begins to go, quickly say your chosen word & give him a fuss as soon as he does it, saying "good boy to empty (or whatever)".

Then, as he gets used to the association of the word with the act, he should start to relieve himself when you say the word, and hopefully that will be in the garden or on his walks.

If he has an accident indoors, don't tell him off, just ignore what he's done & take him outside, using your trigger word. Then clear up his accident, without him seeing, using a non amonia based cleaner. Cleaners with amonia smell to a dog like pee, so he'll want to go there again & again!

Back to top Go down

Post by raverhayley Thu Jan 13 2011, 11:44

Thanks so much for you advice, i agree is does seem as he is a little confused at the moment!

Yes im definatley going to try a key word........thanks os much Wink
raverhayley
raverhayley

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 13 2011, 11:45

Let us know how you get on.

How about some pics of your boy? What's his name?

Back to top Go down

Post by raverhayley Thu Jan 13 2011, 11:47

Hes name is Bruiser. Hes a big boy for hes age! yes i will upload a pic as soon as i can!

Yes i am putting in to place some of your ideas as soon as i return from work!
raverhayley
raverhayley

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 13 2011, 11:50

thumbs up

Back to top Go down

Post by Nosipho Thu Jan 13 2011, 16:25

Caryll wrote:I think you're going to have to go back to basics! You've changed his routine & he's probably a bit confused.

I personally wouldn't bother with the mats or paper. I'd start taking him into the garden every hour or so, and waiting 10 minutes to let him have a good sniff around and hopefully relieve himself. As soon as he does, plenty of praise. You might want to try using a special word for him like 'empty' or something like that. Every time he begins to go, quickly say your chosen word & give him a fuss as soon as he does it, saying "good boy to empty (or whatever)".

Then, as he gets used to the association of the word with the act, he should start to relieve himself when you say the word, and hopefully that will be in the garden or on his walks.

If he has an accident indoors, don't tell him off, just ignore what he's done & take him outside, using your trigger word. Then clear up his accident, without him seeing, using a non amonia based cleaner. Cleaners with amonia smell to a dog like pee, so he'll want to go there again & again!

As always fantastic advice from caryll Smile
Nosipho
Nosipho
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Skibadee, Tali, Kali-Mist, Nugget and Meg
Dog(s) Ages : 25/8/2005 - 01/10/2008 - 01/08/2012 - 23/10/2013992
Dog Gender(s) : All Girlies
Support total : 191

http://www.nosiphostaffords.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by youngkaiser Thu Jan 13 2011, 20:59

I like the name bruiser kaisers dad was called bruiser and he defo was one too lol good luck with the training he will get it in the end i was lucky with kaiser when he was a pup he picked it up quite quick
youngkaiser
youngkaiser

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Kaiser
Support total : 22

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 13 2011, 21:02

Wish Dempsey had! He was REALLY slow & a pain in the butt! We couldn't say he was really house trained till he was, I dunno, about 8 or 9 months old, I forget exactly! Thing is, though, from then on he was rock solid, never did a thing unless he had a bad tummy & couldn't hold on. Certainly never peed in the house again.

Back to top Go down

Post by gem Thu Jan 13 2011, 21:12

This is why I dont really like the puppy mats cause the pup does well then when its time to go outdoors they get confused. Like caryll says at least every hour outside lots of praise if he goes and its like starting over again a bit but he will learn
gem
gem

Status Status :

Dogs Name(s) : duke
Dog Gender(s) : dog
Support total : 83

Back to top Go down

Post by gem Thu Jan 13 2011, 21:14

Oh forgot to add my word is wee wees and they do it on command
gem
gem

Status Status :

Dogs Name(s) : duke
Dog Gender(s) : dog
Support total : 83

Back to top Go down

Post by jaykay Thu Jan 13 2011, 21:49

as caryll says every hour or so take him out and use a word associated with doing his buisness also every time he wakes up after a nap take him outside and use the word and after he has had a meal take him out again using the word giving him loads of praise when he goes and he will soon get toilet trained.good luck
jaykay
jaykay
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : macks

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 13 2011, 22:25

Caryll and others...

1. why must they not see you clean their mess up?

2. I am not saying the "wee wee" word while she is doing it.. I was saying the word, waiting 10mins while she went and then praising her...

thanksx Mel

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 13 2011, 22:45

If they see you clear it up, they often think it's a sort of game & they'll do it again just to see you clear up again!

You need to say your 'trigger' word all the time till she does it, and then use it in your praise......"What a good girl to wee wee". That way she'll associate the words with the action, and the fact that it pleases you.

Back to top Go down

Post by Fudge Thu Jan 13 2011, 23:39

I think I've got lucky with fudge as she's nearly fully house trained apart from the odd wee or upset tummy (like when we first changed her food from wet to dry) and is now about 4 1/2 months. I've only ever used paper for in her cage and before she was allowed outside she understood if she needed wee/mess then she were to go into her cage and relieve herself. Since being let outside I've just stuck to the advise of praising her alot after a wee/poo and giving her a treat, she soon got the hang of it. Bruiser will get there in no time don't worry.
Fudge
Fudge
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Fudge
Dog Gender(s) : Female

Back to top Go down

Post by raverhayley Fri Jan 14 2011, 08:30

Thanks for the advice guys, yesterday night i actully did see some improvement as he done a poo & wee in the garden and only one wee in the house! I no he will get there, he is such a well behaved pup i am so lucky to have him Smile

Im definatley going to use the trigger word all the time now, so hopefully that will help him too.
raverhayley
raverhayley

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by raverhayley Fri Jan 14 2011, 08:31

youngkaiser wrote:I like the name bruiser kaisers dad was called bruiser and he defo was one too lol good luck with the training he will get it in the end i was lucky with kaiser when he was a pup he picked it up quite quick

i think the name kaiser is pretty cool myself! Cool
raverhayley
raverhayley

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down