Any dog had a reaction to gloss paint???

3 posters

Go down

Any dog had a reaction to gloss paint???  Empty Any dog had a reaction to gloss paint???

Post by bobs Sun Aug 12 2012, 15:49

Afternoon all. Sophie's mum here. As most of you know Sophie is hypersensitive to most foods. She also has stress related alopecia (the vet after doing skin scrapes and tests couldn't find any other cause) on her tum and looks like a little pink piggy underneath.

We have been decorating recently. Mainly emulsion but when we came to glossing the skirting boards we ran into further problems with Sophie. Not a huge amount of gloss used, but clearly enough to upset her.

The first time was on Thursday lunchtime. We had something delivered and because it was a bulky item put her in her crate whilst delivery men were here. She went to bark but had the most horrible coughing fit.

This went on throughout the afternoon. I had to pop out briefly for about 20 minutes early evening. We had ventilated the house as much as possible during the day.

One of the people I saw whilst out is a pro dog trainer. I described Sophie's symptoms and she said it sounded suspiciously like kennel cough. I looked up the symptoms and they were identical.

http://www.kennelcoughhelp.com/kennel-cough-symptoms.php

I was only out briefly but Sophie was still coughing like mad when I returned. I phoned the emergency vet who said if she was fit and well generally and it was kennel cough she would probably sort herself out but to give her a spoonful of Benylin.

Bob brought some home from work and it worked like a dream. Whilst she hated taking it, it really worked. By the next day, she was barely coughing at all. If it had been kennel cough, the symptoms would have lasted much longer.

We have now gone out and bought low odour, quick drying gloss just to suit the pooch Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

Just wondered if anyone elses dog has been affected by paint or any other strong odours. I am asthmatic so don't like the smell but can tolerate it if the room is well ventilated.
bobs
bobs
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Sophie
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 13

Back to top Go down

Any dog had a reaction to gloss paint???  Empty Re: Any dog had a reaction to gloss paint???

Post by Taryn Sun Aug 12 2012, 16:02

no... but romeo has a bad reaction to every mosquito that bites him, his fur falls out!
Taryn
Taryn

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Romeo
Dog(s) Ages : 27.09.2011
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 207

http://tehotassundynamiitti.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Any dog had a reaction to gloss paint???  Empty Re: Any dog had a reaction to gloss paint???

Post by Taryn Sun Aug 12 2012, 16:04

poor sophie, she's always in the wars isnt she
Taryn
Taryn

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by bobs Sun Aug 12 2012, 16:15

She seems to be in the wars for some reason or other. Having said that, we will do absolutely everything in our power to keep her fit and healthy and she will always have a loving home for the whole of her life.

When she was 13 weeks old she developed demodex which was closely followed by a leg injury (she simply jumped up to greet someone and fell back awkwardly).

If we weren't so committed to her with those, and her dietry and skin problems we know some would have given up on her. She could have been on her third or fourth (or worse) home by now.

She is a pain in the backside but we love her so much Love Struck Laughing Laughing Laughing

Last edited by bobs on Sun Aug 12 2012, 16:17; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Spelling)
bobs
bobs

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Sophie
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 13

Back to top Go down

Post by Taryn Sun Aug 12 2012, 18:12

see, thats what owning and loving a dog is all about Love Struck
Taryn
Taryn

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by jshrew Sun Aug 12 2012, 18:21

Ledger sneezes with some strong smells and did when I recently redecorated the front room and glossed the skirting, he also will not go anywhere near smoke he will often sneeze when we pass someone who is smoking and if someone has a bbq/bonfire near the park he will just plain refuse to go in that direction
jshrew
jshrew
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Moderator
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Moderator

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Ledger and Maple
Dog(s) Ages : 7 and 2
Dog Gender(s) : Male and Female
Support total : 209

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down