Panosteitis (Growing Pains)

Go down

Lightning Panosteitis (Growing Pains)

Post by georgiegem Sat Aug 04 2012, 10:10

Hi All,
Heston is suffering from Panosteitis, although not officially diagnosed by a vet. I have now been to the vets 3x for 3 separate limping occurrences and by the time we get there he has warmed up enough not to show the limps at their most severe (Early Morning & Evening). The vet has suggested giving him painkillers/anti-inflamatries and doing an exploratory X-ray, but I have so far declined on the basis that drugs will only mask the problem and it is not guaranteed to even show up. I am concerned that he is in a 3rd cycle of lameness in 3 months, each limb apparently recovering after 2 weeks of keeping him as quiet as i can, for it then to flare up in another limb 2 weeks after etc etc.

I am now looking into alternative therapies to treat him and was wondering if anyone had any advice on homeopathic treatments/vitamin supplements/physical therapy for dogs? He is already on food from The Natural Dog Food Company in Salmon, which is organic/human-grade/holistic certified. I have also been grooming/massaging him every evening, as I think it may help to at least relieve some of his pain when its at its worst.
georgiegem
georgiegem
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Heston
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 5

Back to top Go down

Lightning Re: Panosteitis (Growing Pains)

Post by Guest Sat Aug 04 2012, 10:13

How old is Heston now? Is he limping on front or back legs? If it's back, then I suppose it could be the onset of hip problems, but HD isn't a bad problem in staffs at the moment.

Back to top Go down

Post by georgiegem Sat Aug 04 2012, 10:19

Front Right 2 times and now Back Left, which only presents when he first gets up for 20 minutes and again in the evening. In the evening it goes on for much longer as he naps more. He sleeps on a large beanbag with a vet-bed on top, not on the floor. Sad

Oops I forgot to answer you 1st Question! He is approaching 11 months and is un-neutered.
georgiegem
georgiegem

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Aug 04 2012, 12:12

It could be "growing pains" but at 11 mths his already got his height.

Do these limping episodes appear after exercise?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Aug 04 2012, 12:49

Yes, I would have thought that he's a little old for growing pains.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Aug 04 2012, 12:50

Honestly it isn't something i would diagnose. If possible, next time you catch him limping, pop him in the car and go right to the vets and don't let him walk before he gets seen and the limping might still show itself.

Back to top Go down

Post by georgiegem Sat Aug 04 2012, 13:17

Thanks for the advice everybody, we're going to film it happening and go back to the vets. We live on Exmoor so all the vets around our area are more geared up to farm/equine/gun-dogs- Every time i go i get an earful about him being un-neutered and they are a pain-killer/anti- inflam happy. Maybe a new vets may be in order fully diagnose him and figure out how to best treat him i dont know

I have just walked him and watched his gate very carefully...there is the occasional skip, mostly on the left hind quarter, but no limping now we're back from our walk. It is only after waking (particularly in the AM/Evening) and has a cyclic pattern of flaring up, healing, then moving limb
georgiegem
georgiegem

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Aug 04 2012, 13:24

Might sound strange but measure the length of the limbs. Lexi has a funny gait on her back right leg, and it is always the one she stands with it behind instead of square and it looks a little longer to me. I had a friend who has a poodle and one leg is about 2 inches shorter than the other one and she has a biiig waddle. But just one leg being off will effect all the others and the back etc.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Aug 04 2012, 14:15

A back leg skip sounds more like a knee problem - patella luxation. If that's the case then an xray will be needed & poss. an operation. Sad

Last edited by Caryll on Sat Aug 04 2012, 14:56; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : not used to my new phone yet!)

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Aug 04 2012, 14:52

Was gonna say the same Caryll ... Skipping suggests he has a knee problem going on.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down