Lead training difficulty

+2
Chantel
Tonimac
6 posters

Go down

Lead training difficulty Empty Lead training difficulty

Post by Tonimac Mon Jul 30 2012, 06:03

I "rescued" an 8mth old male staffy/kelpie and have had him for 2 days. He fits into our loving family wonderfully but follows me (the Mum) Everywhere. I don't mind but he always trips me up, walking just in front of my feet or standing/sits just in front of my feet. Also on a lead he weaves in front of me and I although I keep jerking him (gently) to the left side of me he again weaves in front of me.

Any ideas how I can get him to walk to my left and stay to my left? Are "choke chains" still used in training (quick little tugs, not chokes).

Thanks

Tonimac
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Lead training difficulty Empty Re: Lead training difficulty

Post by Chantel Mon Jul 30 2012, 08:22

I don't know about anyone else on the forum, but I'm not keen on choke chains. Athough Staffs are hardy and strong, they need a soft and positive approach. This might not work for everyone, but Maska was a demon with a collar and lead, until we switched him over to a harness - the harness almost changes his whole posture of walking, because it seems like he became proud. I also found that I have more control with the harness, because you can pull back on it, keeping the dog at your side, until he gets what you want him to do, without choking the poor thing.

Please also bear in mind, you've only had him for two days, and although he is 8 months old, you can't be certain what sort of training he's had. Go back to basics, and start training as if it's the first training session. Also, the dog is still getting used to you and the unfamiliar surrounding, which can be stressful for them. Give him time to settle and make sure to practice patience.

Good luck
Chantel
Chantel
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Maska & Loki
Dog(s) Ages : Maska 1 year and a bit & Loki 6 months
Dog Gender(s) : Male & Female
Support total : 127

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Mon Jul 30 2012, 09:02

Hi and welcome to the forum from Rocky and me.

I wouldn't use a choke chain either, just NO.

As said above you may want to try a harness for walkies. There are many different types to choose from have a look in Pets at Home too, see if you can try some on in there. Also look at the Amazon website there are hundreds on there.

You may also want to try a Canny Collar which is effective in stopping dogs pulling on the lead if you dont want the harness. These are also available at Amazon but again you may want to try one on in a shop first.

Well done for rescuing.
Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jul 30 2012, 09:02

I would strongly advise against a choke chain for any type of training. If you want him to stay on your left you could try keeping his focus on a treat held in your fist or a squeaky toy to keep his attention. You could also use a broomstick or other tool held in front of him so that he can't pass or move to the other side.

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Mon Jul 30 2012, 09:03

Hi & Lead training difficulty Welcome

Welcome to the staffordshire bull terrier niceboard. We are pleased you have decided to join us, and hope you enjoy your stay. We hope to see plenty of pictures of your staffordshire bull terriers or any other breed you may have in your household Smile

If you would like to enter your dog(s), puppy(s) or another pet(s) you may have into our Monthly Competition, voting starts on the 20th of every month, if you are lucky your dog maybe placed on our Hall Of Fame page on our website.

Just one last thing before you look around could you please just have a quick look At This Poll, we would love to know how you found us.

Here are some links that will get you started with the website:-

Lead training difficulty Icon_arrow Please read the Forum Rules before you start posting.
Lead training difficulty Icon_arrow Here are a List of Tutorial & FAQs that will help you around the forum.
Lead training difficulty Icon_arrow You can ask for Help here if you are having trouble doing something on the forum.
Lead training difficulty Icon_arrow How to update your Profile information
Lead training difficulty Icon_arrow If you have any ideas to improve the forum please let us know Your Feedback Here.
Lead training difficulty Icon_arrow We have a Website with alot of information if you would like to view it.
Lead training difficulty Icon_arrow Make a Donation to help us to keep improving our forum and website.
Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Mon Jul 30 2012, 09:20

Hiya and welcome from me and Moo, can't really add anything but echo the advise already given. Thank you for rescuing and please give him time to settle in Smile
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Galadriel Mon Jul 30 2012, 09:46

Hi and welcome!

I'd skip the lead jerking and don't even consider a choke chain. Have a read of this - http://clicktreat.blogspot.co.uk/2012/06/is-it-harmful-to-attach-aleash-to-your.html?m=0

And consider a front clipping harness like this - http://www.xtradog.com/shop/harnesses/fleece-dog-harnesses/new-style-xtra-dog-walking-harness-m-size.html

Luring him into place like jstaff mentioned is a good way to go as is stopping as soon as he moves across your path then waiting for him/luring him back into position before setting off again. He'll soon realise it's much more rewarding to walk nicely by your side if you're consistent.

Does he sway infron of you sniffing? If so then it's a good idea to put the sniffing on cue and then you can use it as a reward for walking nicely.

I recommend you buy a book called When Pigs Fly by Jane Killion as it's a great introduction to shaping behaviour Smile

Galadriel

Status Status :

Female
Support total : 175

Back to top Go down

Post by Jellytot Mon Jul 30 2012, 10:31

Ralph is at puppy training at the mo, and the technique we are being shown, is to use a treat to get the dog on your right heel, then to hold the treat there, down by the side whilst you walk. Start off by giving the treat quiet regularly, then when the dog is getting used to walking by the side, increase the amount you give.

It’s working with Ralph
Big Grin
Jellytot
Jellytot
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Ralph
Dog(s) Ages : 3
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 73

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jul 30 2012, 11:06

Definitely try a front fastening harness.

Back to top Go down

Post by Tonimac Mon Jul 30 2012, 13:09

Thank you very much for your appreciated advice.
My first day away at work, and I have come home to a relaxed, happy Milo who has already settled like he has lived here forever. He is a kind, gentle soul with a willingness to please like I have only ever seen in another staffy I once "rescued".

I would love to share this story - Honky was an entire (white) female and when I was having hormone therapy some years ago to be able to have children, she started giving milk. I couldn't believe it and was advised by the vet this was typical of the breed regarding Pack status, her getting ready to help with the "litter". WOW!!! Unfortunately she eventually gave in to old age.

Back to subject, I will definately try a harness and the TTouch approach looks very humane and effective, along with treats for coaxing.

One question, when training my dog at the time (must say 20 years ago) "heal"was always on the left, has it changed to the right or is it personal preference?

Thanks again for the advice.

Tonimac

Status Status :

Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down