Signs of bloatedness

3 posters

Go down

Signs of bloatedness Empty Signs of bloatedness

Post by Rachb26 Fri Jul 27 2012, 22:05

As the title says....

I've been feeding Saf raw rabbit quarters the last few days for her last meal of the day as I got a special deal, other meals just chicken or beef meats, bit of offal and to my minds eye she looks like shes put on a ton of weight over night. I thought rabbit was a pretty lean meat. The quarters were quite large and she loved them! Has anyone experienced this before?

She's pooping ok so not constipated. And because of the heat, she's been drinking more.

I dunno.. she just seems to have developed a 'barrel belly' shape! And I can hardly feel her ribs!? Is this something I should worry about do you think?

Only other thing is, she did grab and scoff down one of the kids sausage rolls??

Thanks in advance

P.S Saffy is starting her first puppy classes on Sunday! Yay!!
Rachb26
Rachb26
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Saffy
Dog(s) Ages : 11 months
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 22

Back to top Go down

Signs of bloatedness Empty Re: Signs of bloatedness

Post by Guest Fri Jul 27 2012, 22:10

Really hard to say without being able to see it. Here is a link on bloat as well as some of the symptoms to look for. I'm not saying at all that this is the case just simply sharing info

https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com/t16609-bloat-gastric-dilatation-syndrome?highlight=bloat

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Fri Jul 27 2012, 22:14

I don't feed raw so the only advise would be the link above. The sausage roll wouldn't have hurt though Xx
janey
janey
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jul 27 2012, 22:31

Is it just her belly that's bigger? If so, is it hard to the touch & can you hear 'gurgling' when you press your ear to it?

Is she uncomfortable or trying (but not succeding) to be sick?

Chances are the rabbit's too rich for her to eat every day & she might just have a touch of wind! I would only be really concerned if she was showing discomfort and was trying to be sick - if that's the case then you should get her to the vets asap, as they are a symptom of bloat. That's not to say she's got bloat, just that they are symptoms & shouldn't be ignored just in case.

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachb26 Fri Jul 27 2012, 22:48

Caryll wrote:Is it just her belly that's bigger? If so, is it hard to the touch & can you hear 'gurgling' when you press your ear to it? no it's soft and no gurgling noises. She's been rolling around everywhere and we've been stroking her tummy. Didn't show any signs of discomfort.

Is she uncomfortable or trying (but not succeding) to be sick?No she's otherwise as lively as ever, no signs of retching.

Chances are the rabbit's too rich for her to eat every day & she might just have a touch of wind! Yes I didn't think about that, its definitely a new addition to her diet, in that she hasn't had it before.

I would only be really concerned if she was showing discomfort and was trying to be sick - if that's the case then you should get her to the vets asap, as they are a symptom of bloat. That's not to say she's got bloat, just that they are symptoms & shouldn't be ignored just in case. absolutely! I've read the link jstaff kindly posted and will keep an eye on her.

The bloat I'm seeing is more around her ribs and not so much on her tummy area. But I could only describe as 'bloat' because I didn't know what else to call it!

But for future reference, is bloat something that comes on quickly or do you have symptoms over a long period of time??

Thanks for your replies
Rachb26
Rachb26

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jul 28 2012, 05:22

It's almost always quite rapid. It isn't a common condition but neither is it rare; it is however very dangerous & should always be taken seriously with strip to the vets.

It doesn't sound like she has bloat though. Just a bit overfed!Big Grin Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachb26 Sat Jul 28 2012, 09:24

Caryll wrote: It's almost always quite rapid. It isn't a common condition but neither is it rare; it is however very dangerous & should always be taken seriously with strip to the vets.

Thanks for that! Will deffo be aware of the symptoms.

It doesn't sound like she has bloat though. Just a bit overfed!Big Grin Big Grin

No she's still the same today, I think she's just got fat! And you saying Saffy is overfed is soo strange to me! Naturally, she's not got a big appetite and I'd be lucky to get 2 full meals down her neck! Unless it's meaty bones Laughing But she has been eating more since I've been walking her. I just didn't think they could pack on that much weight in such a short space of time...Dont know whether its a good thing or not!
Rachb26
Rachb26

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jul 28 2012, 10:01

she's probably one of those dogs that 'uses' their food well, so very little of it goes through undigested. What do you feed her?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jul 28 2012, 10:03

I wasn't being rude btw, it didn't come out the way it was intended!

Don't forget that rabbit is a very rich meat & it will probably pack on weight faster that some others.

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachb26 Sat Jul 28 2012, 10:48

Caryll wrote:she's probably one of those dogs that 'uses' their food well, so very little of it goes through undigested. What do you feed her?

I agree, aside from the odd funky poop, her stools are small firm and black but regular. Which from what I read is typical on a raw diet.

Normal diet is chicken chunks or beef steaks for 1st and 2nd meals with a couple of slithers of liver and kidney in the 2nd meal. Though it's rare for her to eat her 1st meal but I offer it. Sometimes I give her some pork loin if it's on offer.

3rd meal is usually either chicken necks chunks, chicken thighs or wings or if I can get it, a meaty lamb shank (very rare tho).

I also give her a whole raw egg to play with in the garden and eat 2-3 times a week. She will slurp a bit of egg but will eat alot of the shell.

She doesn't like fish. So I just put 1/2 teaspoon of fish oil in her 2nd meal.

But like I said her preference is to eat 2 meals a day. And she generally doesn't eat all I give her except her evening meal which has bones. To be honest I do worry sometimes she's not eating enough. Because going by the 'raw guidelines' she isnt eating what she should. But common sense tells me she is getting enough.
Rachb26
Rachb26

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachb26 Sat Jul 28 2012, 11:00

Caryll wrote:I wasn't being rude btw, it didn't come out the way it was intended!

Don't forget that rabbit is a very rich meat & it will probably pack on weight faster that some others.

Oh no I didn't think that at all! Big Grin I just meant it's weird to hear it because it's not really something that I'd think about because on the whole she hasnt got a huge appetite. But it's true! She's got fat! Which is why I posted because the thought just didn't enter my brain! Saffy getting fat Laughing bless her haha.

You know I didn't think rabbit was that rich. I thought lamb, venison etc. Were pretty rich meats. But yeah I guess it is! I think I will keep it in her diet but limit it, because she really enjoys rabbit and it's nice to have a variety.

Rachb26
Rachb26

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jul 28 2012, 11:35

Most 'game' meet is rich. Venison is a strange one because although it's rich, it's also pretty hypoallergenic so dogs can eat it if they're intolerant of other meat. Unless you're an EBT called Dempsey who is intolerant of venison as well. Rolling Eyes

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jul 28 2012, 15:55

I will say i have seen 5 dogs over a week and a half on another forum get bloat so it is most definitely something to watch for

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachb26 Sat Jul 28 2012, 17:14

ella wrote:I will say i have seen 5 dogs over a week and a half on another forum get bloat so it is most definitely something to watch for

Oh no! That's awful! I they're on the road of recovery!
Rachb26
Rachb26

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachb26 Sat Jul 28 2012, 17:17

Caryll wrote:Most 'game' meet is rich. Venison is a strange one because although it's rich, it's also pretty hypoallergenic so dogs can eat it if they're intolerant of other meat. Unless you're an EBT called Dempsey who is intolerant of venison as well. Rolling Eyes

What do you mean intolerant? As in allergic? I'm sure you said before yours are on raw? What does Dempsey eat Caryll?

I'm nosey Tongues
Rachb26
Rachb26

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jul 28 2012, 17:40

Rachb26 wrote:
ella wrote:I will say i have seen 5 dogs over a week and a half on another forum get bloat so it is most definitely something to watch for

One sadly did die, but the others are on the mend slowly. But it's something people should be aware of.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jul 28 2012, 17:42

Rachb26 wrote:
Caryll wrote:Most 'game' meet is rich. Venison is a strange one because although it's rich, it's also pretty hypoallergenic so dogs can eat it if they're intolerant of other meat. Unless you're an EBT called Dempsey who is intolerant of venison as well. Rolling Eyes

What do you mean intolerant? As in allergic? I'm sure you said before yours are on raw? What does Dempsey eat Caryll?

I'm nosey Tongues

Dempsey is on raw yes but he's a funny bugger Wink

An intolerance isn't the same as being allergic, intolerance can cause a number of things, i.e loose stool, itchy skin, dry fur. Whereas an allergy can be fatal if the allergy is that bad. Not common but does happen.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jul 29 2012, 01:28

ella wrote:
Rachb26 wrote:

I'm nosey Tongues

An intolerance isn't the same as being allergic, intolerance can cause a number of things, i.e loose stool, itchy skin, dry fur. Whereas an allergy can be fatal if the allergy is that bad. Not common but does happen.

Yes, he is a funny bugga!

He can't eat any poultry (apart from turkey in small doses) as it goes right through him to make very nasty bum gravy! Ella's right, it isn't an allergy, it's an intollerance. His gut just can't cope with it for some reason.

Dempsey eats mainly beef & lamb with some pork & turkey. He has the occasional rabbit (without the fur - my preference, not his!). I have been know to slip him the odd chicken wing, but any more than one a month causes problems! Big Grin I got hold of some ostrich a few weeks ago & that went down well, but that was for his birthday - in the UK ostrich is very expensive! Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachb26 Sun Jul 29 2012, 14:05

ella wrote:
Rachb26 wrote:

One sadly did die, but the others are on the mend slowly. But it's something people should be aware of.

That's so sad and yeah it's important to at least be aware of it. Considering it seems to be a fairly common medical emergency, I'm surprised there isn't more info available in my vets practice! It seems to me, the sooner it's caught the better.
Rachb26
Rachb26

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachb26 Sun Jul 29 2012, 14:09

ella wrote:
Rachb26 wrote:

I'm nosey Tongues

Is it common for dogs to be intolerant to dog kibble? Because of the additives etc. Because my MIL staff has always seemed to suffer from minor skin conditions on and off. She's 4 now and on Wainwrights which I thought was grain free.

I'm trying to get her to switch to raw Tongues
Rachb26
Rachb26

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachb26 Sun Jul 29 2012, 14:19

Caryll wrote:
ella wrote:
Rachb26 wrote:

I'm nosey Tongues

Yes, he is a funny bugga!

He can't eat any poultry (apart from turkey in small doses) as it goes right through him to make very nasty bum gravy! Ella's right, it isn't an allergy, it's an intollerance. His gut just can't cope with it for some reason.

Dempsey eats mainly beef & lamb with some pork & turkey. He has the occasional rabbit (without the fur - my preference, not his!). I have been know to slip him the odd chicken wing, but any more than one a month causes problems! Big Grin I got hold of some ostrich a few weeks ago & that went down well, but that was for his birthday - in the UK ostrich is very expensive! Laughing

Beef and lamb are more tastier than chicken anyway! Haha

Poor Dempsey! But also poor you having to be on guard just incase he scoffs something he shouldn't. I can imagine it's no picnic when or if he does. It surely must give him a terrible belly ache too. Poor lad.

Totally agree about the rabbits fur! It's bad enough seeing what the cats drag home let alone watching Saffy annihilate something furry...... I dont want to s

On that front - ignorance is bliss! Laughing
Rachb26
Rachb26

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jul 29 2012, 17:52

Yep intolerance to kibble or something in kibble is extremely common.

Haha my two love the fur on food! especially rabbit or goat Rolling Eyes

Back to top Go down

Post by Galadriel Sun Jul 29 2012, 18:55

Rachb26 wrote:
ella wrote:
Rachb26 wrote:

I'm nosey Tongues

Is it common for dogs to be intolerant to dog kibble? Because of the additives etc. Because my MIL staff has always seemed to suffer from minor skin conditions on and off. She's 4 now and on Wainwrights which I thought was grain free.

I'm trying to get her to switch to raw Tongues

It is pretty common for dogs to have food intollerances, especially as people tend to feed the same thing over and over. If all I ate was wheat, I'd soon develop a wheat intollerance.

Environmental allergies are much more common though so if it's just skin problems, it's more likely to be a reaction to something in the environment like dust mites. Reactions to storage mites are quite common too and they can be found in kibble.

Even if the allergy/intollerance is environmental, diet can exacerbate it, especially one which contains grain. Wainwrights isn't grain free, it actually contains a lot of rice (min of 40%!) that's the dry one. The wet Wainwrights is much better with 5% brown rice.

I'd encourage her to try raw but if she isn't up for it then it'd definitely be worth trying a grain free commercial food.

Last edited by Galadriel on Sun Jul 29 2012, 18:56; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Typo)

Galadriel

Status Status :

Female
Support total : 175

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachb26 Sun Jul 29 2012, 19:00

ella wrote:Yep intolerance to kibble or something in kibble is extremely common.

Haha my two love the fur on food! especially rabbit or goat Rolling Eyes

I will research it a bit and then give her what I find. That's all I can do. But to tell you the truth I think she most likely wouldn't do raw as it would cost just the same amount as kibble but 'less mess and hassle'
But each to their own!

Thanks for that Ella and Caryll for the advice about bloat. And Galadriel for the allergy stuff. I do appreciate it Big Grin

P.S Galadriel: just curious... is that your real name or is it out of LOTR?
Rachb26
Rachb26

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Galadriel Sun Jul 29 2012, 19:04

Haha, no it's not my real name, it's nicked from LOTR - I'm a big Tolkien fan Big Grin

Galadriel

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachb26 Sun Jul 29 2012, 20:06

Galadriel wrote:Haha, no it's not my real name, it's nicked from LOTR - I'm a big Tolkien fan Big Grin

I wouldn't say I'm his biggest fan but I was a fan before the films came out!

Fav book The Silmarillion Smile
Rachb26
Rachb26

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Galadriel Sun Jul 29 2012, 20:26

Rachb26 wrote:
Galadriel wrote:Haha, no it's not my real name, it's nicked from LOTR - I'm a big Tolkien fan Big Grin

Yeah the LOTR book is a lot better than the films but that's usually the way! Although I have grown to like the films too but only after I stopped comparing them to the book!

Galadriel

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachb26 Sun Jul 29 2012, 20:50

Galadriel wrote:
Rachb26 wrote:

Yeah the LOTR book is a lot better than the films but that's usually the way! Although I have grown to like the films too but only after I stopped comparing them to the book!

Me too! Ugh I'm terrible for that! Although I will never like the 3rd film! And I wished they had put old Tom Bombadil in somewhere. But saying that he should be in the Hobbit film coming out.
Rachb26
Rachb26

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Galadriel Mon Jul 30 2012, 09:50

Rachb26 wrote:
Galadriel wrote:
Rachb26 wrote:

Me too! Ugh I'm terrible for that! Although I will never like the 3rd film! And I wished they had put old Tom Bombadil in somewhere. But saying that he should be in the Hobbit film coming out.

Laughing I'm with you! Will you be watching The Hobbit when it comes out?

Galadriel

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down