dont know what to do for the best

3 posters

Go down

dont know what to do for the best Empty dont know what to do for the best

Post by bruno5 Fri Aug 05 2011, 20:42

Hi everybody, I am new here. I have a 6 year old beautiful American Staffie named Bruno. I got him when he was 2 yrs old, and for the four years Ive had him, hes been like my baby, the best dog anyone could have. I have had minimal behaviour problems with him in the past, he is very good to obey orders etc..However in the past month, he has become really aggressive towards children which is really worrying. He is fine and then out of nowhere he lunges at them with his teeth out etc. Its really upsetting as I have just found out that I am pregnant. I am terrified at the prospect of him hurting another child and even attacking my baby when it is born.

Im not sure if re homing him at this age is a good idea and it would just break my heart to put him to sleep, the thought of both are distressing at the moment. What do you think is the right thing to do?

Thanks for listening, Ill try upload a picture of my beautiful boy now.
bruno5
bruno5
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : bruno
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

dont know what to do for the best Empty Re: dont know what to do for the best

Post by janey Fri Aug 05 2011, 20:54

Hey and welcome. What a tough situation to be in. Is there any reason you can think of that could trigger this behaviour? Maybe a trip to the vets, have a health check done, before you re-home, wouldn't even consider the other then maybe there could be an undelying problem? Is he on lead or off?
janey
janey
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by bruno5 Fri Aug 05 2011, 21:29

There was nothing at all that triggered it, he just had a huge walk,he was on the lead and when i stopped to talk to my neighbour for a sec, he just lunged at her kid out of the blue, the kid wasnt provoking him or anything! yes I think I will bring him to the vet alright. Id find it hard to rehome him unless I knew if it was to a good owner, theres such a risk if he got into the wrong hands. Ah hes sitting curled up on my knee here, spoiled rotton Smile Hopefully Ill get to the bottom of it.
bruno5
bruno5

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Aug 05 2011, 22:27

Thats the thing really a month ago he might of had a sensitive ear and a kid near by screamed when playing etc and it could of hurt his ear so now he associate the children with this pain, have him checked over because he might just be under the weather and simply doesn't want younge playing boisterous children around him etc.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Aug 05 2011, 23:22

If he's always been good with children up till now, then something must have triggered it. A dog doesn't suddenly change character at that age for no reason.

Think back. Has anything happened near children that has spooked him or made him angry?

Was there anthing going on at the time that could have made him irritable/angry? Or is he ill?

I'd certainly get him health checked by your vets, but there must have been something to trigger the change in character.

Back to top Go down

Post by bruno5 Sat Aug 06 2011, 13:28

Ive since been talking to my neighbours about it and apparantly, the kids at the back of my house have been provoking him and throwing things at him over the wall Sad I had no idea as I have been in work.

Makes sense now why he is so wary of children now. Still doesnt solve my problem though, I wish I had the time and more importantly money to invest in re adjusting him.

Thanks for your replies. Ill get back to you and let you know what solution I came to when I get one! The previous latter is no longer an option as if anything Ill get him a nice home with people who have time to sort him. He really is worth it.

bruno5
bruno5

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Aug 06 2011, 14:28

I am so sorry to hear that your neighbors children have been harassing your poor boy! I'm sure other members will have suggestions as to how to help him get over his fear of children.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Aug 22 2011, 01:35

I would report your neighbours and threaten them with court for allowing their children to do such things, have them fork out the bill for a behaviourist, thats what i would do that is totally unacceptable, maybe when they get the message they will soon teach their kids how to behave.

Back to top Go down

Post by Nosipho Tue Aug 23 2011, 14:44

I wouldt threaten them with court this will just put people's backs up and make them not want to help you. Go round to your neighbours who have the children and sit down with them, explain everything to them that you said in your original post. It definately sounds like these kids have upset your boy and its not fair, you shouldnt have to put up with that.

You are going to need to spend lots of time on this issue, how unfair that some naughty kids ruined things for you especially as you are expecting. Bruno needs to be around some kind and calm children so he can get his confidence back with them, this will take a lot of time. A good plan might be to find a good citizen dog training group or similar, ring them and tell them about your situation first, you need to make sure they have enough experience to help! Good luck x
Nosipho
Nosipho

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Skibadee, Tali, Kali-Mist, Nugget and Meg
Dog(s) Ages : 25/8/2005 - 01/10/2008 - 01/08/2012 - 23/10/2013992
Dog Gender(s) : All Girlies
Support total : 191

http://www.nosiphostaffords.webs.com