Kathy
janey
Nathan
bexyboo
12 posters

Go down

New status dog? Empty New status dog?

Post by bexyboo Sat Jul 21 2012, 12:18

hey, Am i the only one seeing a massive boom in the Chihuahua breeding?
All i ever seem to keep coming across is Chihuahua's... chihuahua cross pug... Chihuahua cross Jack russell puppies? they are all over facebook! an then when you ask them if they are KC reg or had health tests they use the excuse *This litter wasnt planned* but then they are advertising another litter a few months later?
Hmm... are these gonna be taking up alot of the dog kennels next?
What do you think?
Xxxx
bexyboo
bexyboo
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Bella
Dog(s) Ages : 4 months
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

New status dog? Empty Re: New status dog?

Post by Nathan Sat Jul 21 2012, 12:34

I was thinking the same the other day but around here and especially in watford there seems to be a boom in jack russells! I've seen quite a few kids hanging around the streets with them recently
Nathan
Nathan
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Marley and Laska
Dog(s) Ages : 30/08/2011 Marley 03/05/12 Laska
Dog Gender(s) : Male Marley Female Laska
Support total : 626

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jul 21 2012, 12:41

It has been going on for some time, but i think the breed has suffered horribly because of this Paris Hilton thing. Chihuahuas are a small dog anyway, but they were never intended to be "teacup" which such bulbous heads. And all these smaller breeds that have horrible problems anyway are being crossed and it just irritates me SO much.

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Sat Jul 21 2012, 12:42

Not yet here thankfully, but I guess it won't be long before a new fad is breed. Sad
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by bexyboo Sat Jul 21 2012, 12:48

Sad you get them everywhere here.. all over gumtree, facebook ect. they are selling for £350 + its mad. poor dogs Sad
bexyboo
bexyboo

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Bella
Dog(s) Ages : 4 months

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Sat Jul 21 2012, 12:53

Havn't noticed them here yet either, but I guess it's only a matter of time.
Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachb26 Sat Jul 21 2012, 12:56

Chiwawas (can't be bothered to spell it) have always been popular round my way. Any small dogs tbh. Alot of elderly.

But I have found you can't move for Blue Staffs! Honestly its like they are a symbol of 'wealth' because people charge silly prices for them. I looked through my local free ads for a second crate and nearly every puppy ad for sale was blue staffs. All for £800-£1000 + without papers. Not health tested etc.

Btw I'm not trying to be offensive to blue staff owners, they are gorgeous! my point is that breeders round my way, have jumped on the old money making wagon. Much like the Chiwawawa point made originally. Each puppy/dog are special in their own right regardless of colour/breed/size.

Rachb26
Rachb26
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Saffy
Dog(s) Ages : 11 months
Support total : 22

Back to top Go down

Post by Buster's_Mum Sat Jul 21 2012, 14:31

I have seen them being crossed alot, but it is getting silly now, there are hundreds on the for sale pages. I have seen a few round here, but not many. The worst thing is when I see people carrying them around all the time. They are dogs - they have legs! I believe it creates so many problems as they are babied. LuLu is the sort of dog that people carry about. The only time I ever carried her is when she was a pup before she had her jabs, then I took her for walks while holding he so she could still see the world. Besides then she has always walked. I will not pick her up if a bigger dog comes along, and she is allowed to walk in mud etc. She does have a couple of jumpers that she only wears in the winter because she is hairless and NEEDs them.

As for the blue staffs, I agree! People are charging silly money for one bacause they are apparently rare! Makes me laugh, when I was looking for a staff I had a job to find any other colour! I did finally manage to find my perfect boy - who just happens to be blue, lol, but he was no where near the prices that alot of people wanted.
Buster's_Mum
Buster's_Mum
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
New status dog? Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Buster, LuLu (chinese crested)
Dog(s) Ages : 10 months, 3 1/2 yrs
Dog Gender(s) : Male, Female
Support total : 9

Back to top Go down

Post by Rudyblue Sat Jul 21 2012, 17:16

Aye,chiwawas,jack a poos,jack a doodles the list goes on.huskys are becoming really popular on the estates up here the places you used to see lads with staffs are now replaced with huskys

Rudyblue

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Denzil
Dog(s) Ages : 1
Dog Gender(s) : Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Galadriel Sat Jul 21 2012, 18:19

I tend not to look at the add pages but I've not seen any Chis in our local rescue.

Still lots of Staffs, Staff crosses and JRT types there although starting to see quite a few Huskies, Mals and Akitas now too Sad

Galadriel

Status Status :

Female
Support total : 175

Back to top Go down

Post by Jackieb Sat Jul 21 2012, 19:13

Yea I've seen a boom in 'blue or lilac' handbag dogs dome upto £1000 in price !!

Mad tbh ! And pug x staff wtf is that gonna look like !!

Jackieb
Jackieb

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Diesel & Tank
Dog(s) Ages : Diesel - May 2011. Tank - March 2012
Dog Gender(s) : Girl & Boy
Support total : 245

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jul 22 2012, 07:24

God I hate handbag dogs. No offence to anyone here who owns them but they drive me insane! There's loads around here and for some reason, they all hate Charlie. We'll be walking along, minding our own business, and the stupid bloody things will be yap yap yap at him. More often than not, they are in the arms of some old biddy who then says to her stupid barking rat 'there there baby, I won't let him hurt you' angry At which point I can't help but tell them that it is their little angel that is barking and growling at my nasty beast who is just looking at their dog like its gaga, not reacting in any way. And yep, I know its the fault of the humans that baby their dogs and give them little dog syndrome, but my dog shouldn't have to suffer for it! And its even worse when they're actually on their own four legs and off the lead. Some stupid small fluffy thing came running up to Charlie yesterday barking and growling and snapping at its face. Charlie just gave me his 'wtf?' face while I picked the thing up and handed it back to its owner who just strolled along while it was going mental, not hurrying himself -what a moron! If Charlie had defended himself, he would have ripped the rat apart and he would have been the one in trouble angry

Sorry, rant over, and I'm really sorry if I've offended any small dog owners, I'm sure most here with small dogs don't treat their dogs like babies and let them attack other dogs.

Back to top Go down

Post by Galadriel Sun Jul 22 2012, 07:56

shontelle wrote:God I hate handbag dogs. No offence to anyone here who owns them but they drive me insane! There's loads around here and for some reason, they all hate Charlie. We'll be walking along, minding our own business, and the stupid bloody things will be yap yap yap at him. More often than not, they are in the arms of some old biddy who then says to her stupid barking rat 'there there baby, I won't let him hurt you' angry At which point I can't help but tell them that it is their little angel that is barking and growling at my nasty beast who is just looking at their dog like its gaga, not reacting in any way. And yep, I know its the fault of the humans that baby their dogs and give them little dog syndrome, but my dog shouldn't have to suffer for it! And its even worse when they're actually on their own four legs and off the lead. Some stupid small fluffy thing came running up to Charlie yesterday barking and growling and snapping at its face. Charlie just gave me his 'wtf?' face while I picked the thing up and handed it back to its owner who just strolled along while it was going mental, not hurrying himself -what a moron! If Charlie had defended himself, he would have ripped the rat apart and he would have been the one in trouble angry

Sorry, rant over, and I'm really sorry if I've offended any small dog owners, I'm sure most here with small dogs don't treat their dogs like babies and let them attack other dogs.

I know what you mean, the most badly behaved dogs round here that display the most agressive behaviours are the small ones and so many people think it's funny and make stupid remarks like 'he thinks he's a Rottweiler' angry

What the owners fail to realise is the effect their dogs' behaviour has on other dogs and the fact it makes them much more likely to become the victim of an attack. And where would the blame lie? Not on the poor little pooch that started it but came off worse that's for sure.

If it's not acceptable for a 60kg dog then it's not acceptable for a 6kg dog either!

Galadriel

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Rudyblue Sun Jul 22 2012, 09:44

Totally agree with the above 2 posts,I get that a lot with these sort of dogs and the owners attitude.it's ok for their dogs to snap and yap as "oh it's just what dogs do"when you tell them,but how the attitude would change if my dog snapped back and seriously damaged their dog.I think because of there size they just think it's acceptable as they can't do real damage so they just think it's fine for them to snap and bite etc.

Rudyblue

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Galadriel Sun Jul 22 2012, 10:24

Rudyblue wrote:Totally agree with the above 2 posts,I get that a lot with these sort of dogs and the owners attitude.it's ok for their dogs to snap and yap as "oh it's just what dogs do"when you tell them,but how the attitude would change if my dog snapped back and seriously damaged their dog.I think because of there size they just think it's acceptable as they can't do real damage so they just think it's fine for them to snap and bite etc.

The thing is, they can do real damage and that's something people often forget.

Here's just one example of where a Pomeranian killed a baby - http://articles.latimes.com/2000/oct/09/local/me-34015

I know of a handful of people who's big dogs have suffered puncture wounds at the teeth of little 'ankle biters'.

One American survey found Dachshunds to be the most agressive dog:

"AFTER ALL the media hype and spurious scientific studies claiming that Pit Bulls, Rottweilers and Mastiffs are the most dangerous dog breeds, new research form America has apparently found Dachshunds are the world’s most aggressive breed of dog. The study shows that that one in five dachshunds have bitten or tried to bite strangers, and a similar number have attacked other dogs; one in 12 have snapped at their owners.

Known as sausage dog in the UK or ‘wiener dogs’ in the USA for their elongated bodies, Dachshunds have not, until now, had a fearsome reputation, although they were originally bred to hunt badgers in their setts. However, they topped a list of 33 breeds which were rated for their aggression, after academics analysed the behaviour of thousands of dogs.

Incredibly, Chihuahuas, an even smaller breed, were ranked the second most hostile, regularly snapping or attempting to bite strangers, family and other dogs. Another small favourite, the Jack Russell, was third.

The study, published this week in the journal Applied Animal Behaviour Science, involved researchers from the University of Pennsylvania questioning 6,000 dog owners. Breeds scoring low for aggression included Basset Hounds, Golden Retrievers, Labradors, Siberian Huskies. The Rottweiler, Pit Bull And Rhodesian Ridgeback scored average or below average marks for hostility towards strangers. Greyhounds rated the most docile."

From http://www.ourdogs.co.uk/News/2008/July2008/News110708/dda.htm

All dogs have teeth and all dogs can kill and maim in the wrong hands. It's one of the reasons I despise BSL so much.

Last edited by Galadriel on Sun Jul 22 2012, 10:26; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Typo)

Galadriel

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Rudyblue Sun Jul 22 2012, 11:10

Oh I know what you mean,what I'm trying to say is a lot of people I've met with these little snappy dogs think that because of ther size they just let them do what they want to bigger dogs,my old dog used to get this every time the mother inlaw used to visit with the jack russel,snapping at the face,gums bleeding of it etc because he wouldn't retaliate to smaller dogs,in the end I just barred it from visiting.but we all know what the out cry would be if we let staffys behave like this

Rudyblue

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Gee Sun Jul 22 2012, 11:12

New status dog around my end for chav's and for idiot people that want to look hard is the American Bull Dog.

Gee

Status Status :

Male
Support total : 34

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jul 22 2012, 13:08

not a lover of handbag dogs myself either , however , many people are and these , JRT's , yorkies etc certainly are well suited to older people that want the company but couldn't handle the control and exercise requirements of medium to large breed dogs, and I am not saying these dogs dont require any work by that statement Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathan Sun Jul 22 2012, 13:25

Rudyblue wrote:huskys are becoming really popular on the estates up here the places you used to see lads with staffs are now replaced with huskys

Thats really sad, Huskys have the same loving nature as staffs but need a hell of alot of excercise of they will tear the house down. I can see many of these ending up as rescues as well Crying or Very sad they also have a tendancy to run off, and keep running and running and running so if they think these are off the lead dogs around town they are in for a big surprise.
Nathan
Nathan

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Marley and Laska
Dog(s) Ages : 30/08/2011 Marley 03/05/12 Laska
Dog Gender(s) : Male Marley Female Laska
Support total : 626

Back to top Go down

Post by EvilGenius Tue Jul 24 2012, 11:38

I have this argument with my sister. She has a JR and while him and Thomas hang out and get on well, he has NO obedience and is a complete wind-up merchant! But he gets away with it because he is so small.. Grr!

And as for the Husky fad.. Its very sad. Where Staffs are generally pratty happy-go-lucky, Huskies are way more strong willed and like axam102 just said, they need serious exercise. They are working dogs and they need strong boundaries and consistent training. Yes they are beautiful and intelligent and in the right hands, wonderful dogs but i can see it all ending horribly. Stupid sheeple!!!
EvilGenius
EvilGenius
Regular Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Regular Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Thomas

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 24 2012, 11:48

Round here (nr kings lynn, Norfolk) theres a massive boom in buying Husky puppies, mum said 14 have been registered at her vets alone in the past month Surprised
Problem is after owning 2 huskys I know how much they need exercise like Nathan said a hell of a lot and many of these people cant even be bothered to walk dogs.
On my cul-de-sac alone theres 10 houses including mine and only 2 dont have dogs, most are staffies but few Terriers, mongrels but Ive only seen 1 of them walked in the last 6mths and he was only walked the once!!
Its seems here dogs are for putting in ur garden and thats about it Sad

Back to top Go down

Post by jshrew Wed Jul 25 2012, 21:10

The park is becoming over run with barking rats either there are a hell of alot of dogs that have never been walked or a fair few of the polish kids have got a pocket pet for the start of the school holidays (and knowing that is what one of my neighbours has done I fear the latter) banghead I just counted 6 dogs (5 of which I'd never seen before) in a group of about 20 kids (the usual groups) the last 2 approached the group as we were leaving the park and snapping had to be held by the collar by their owners who after they passed (while Ledger sat quietly at my feet) went off giggling saying something in polish.
jshrew
jshrew
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Moderator
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Moderator

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Ledger and Maple
Dog(s) Ages : 7 and 2
Dog Gender(s) : Male and Female
Support total : 209

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down