Rudyblue
taramartynandbuster
bexyboo
11 posters

Go down

hi, newbie looking for advice  Empty hi, newbie looking for advice

Post by bexyboo Sat Jul 14 2012, 15:46

First i should say Hi!! wave

Im not a Staffy owner (Yet) but we are planning on getting one next year once we have moved. i used to believe all the rubbish that the news papers wrote but since meeting our neighbours staffy we have totally fallen in love with the breed. He is a big softy an his amazing with their little kiddies! ive read up everything i can find about the staffordshire bull terrier and they are perfect for our little family Love Struck
Anyway, this is where im a little stuck! ive been looking at rescues and all of their pup/young dogs/adult doggys can only be rehomed with children over 8! after doing ALOT of research with this breed i know there are so many needing home so we wanted to rescue. we have a 1 & 2 year old so they wouldnt let us broken heart

would you get a rescure (Of any breed) with young children? or should we just go ahead and look for a decent breeder for next year?

Thanks for reading xxx wave
bexyboo
bexyboo
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Bella
Dog(s) Ages : 4 months
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

hi, newbie looking for advice  Empty Re: hi, newbie looking for advice

Post by Guest Sat Jul 14 2012, 16:00

Hi & hi, newbie looking for advice  Welcome

Welcome to the staffordshire bull terrier niceboard. We are pleased you have decided to join us, and hope you enjoy your stay. We hope to see plenty of pictures of your staffordshire bull terriers or any other breed you may have in your household Smile

If you would like to enter your dog(s), puppy(s) or another pet(s) you may have into our Monthly Competition, voting starts on the 20th of every month, if you are lucky your dog maybe placed on our Hall Of Fame page on our website.

Just one last thing before you look around could you please just have a quick look At This Poll, we would love to know how you found us.

Here are some links that will get you started with the website:-

hi, newbie looking for advice  Icon_arrow Please read the Forum Rules before you start posting.
hi, newbie looking for advice  Icon_arrow Here are a List of Tutorial & FAQs that will help you around the forum.
hi, newbie looking for advice  Icon_arrow You can ask for Help here if you are having trouble doing something on the forum.
hi, newbie looking for advice  Icon_arrow If you have any ideas to improve the forum please let us know Your Feedback Here.
hi, newbie looking for advice  Icon_arrow We have a Website with alot of information if you would like to view it.
hi, newbie looking for advice  Icon_arrow Make a Donate to help us to keep us improving our forum and website.

Back to top Go down

Post by taramartynandbuster Sat Jul 14 2012, 16:10

hi my folks rescued a dog when my sister and i were quite young, not quite that young mind, and we never had to many problems, the problem with rescue dog is you can never tell what they've been through, and once you get them home they will have honeymoon period where they are still getting used to there new home and you wont be able to tell how they are going to act untill after that. i wouldn't say it's a bad idea strictly but deffo need to take along think about it and never leave children and dog together unsupervised. i imagine you will struggle to find a rescue center willing to rehome to a family with such young children.

taramartynandbuster
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Dogs Name(s) : buster
Dog(s) Ages : 5.5
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 6

Back to top Go down

Post by Rudyblue Sat Jul 14 2012, 16:24

I would only get a pup from a rescue centre with your children being so young,you can raise it in your own environment to suit your family,as the other post says you won't know what a dog has been through otherwise,so I wouldn't take the risk with the kids unless it's a pup

Rudyblue

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Denzil
Dog(s) Ages : 1
Dog Gender(s) : Male

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Sat Jul 14 2012, 17:11

Hiya and welcome from me and Moo Smile
janey
janey
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Sat Jul 14 2012, 17:20

Hi and welcome to the forum from Rocky and me.

Rescue centres do sometimes have young puppies in so it maybe worth having a look on some of their websites. Dogs Trust, Battersea Dogs Home for example and I'm sure there are others. Also have a look at these on our Rescue forum:

https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com/f71-staffordshire-bull-terrier-rescues-adoption
Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by bexyboo Sat Jul 14 2012, 19:39

hi thanks for the warm welcome Smile
Thanks for the advice we will get a puppy but from what ive seen the rescues near us dont get alot of pups in. i'll talk to afew breeders and see if they are planning a litter for next year.
I guess its all a "wait and see" game Smile

Thanks again Bex xx

P.S All your SBT's are gorgeous!!! Love Struck
bexyboo
bexyboo

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Pollyanna Sat Jul 14 2012, 20:40

Hello from me and Lils. I got Lily from a rescue a couple of months ago and she's a little sweetie and the smallest Staffie in the world but she is still 14kg which is quite heavy if you are the age of your children. I have a 16month old grandson and she can knock him flying if we aren't careful - she doesn't mean to but she is just so boisterous and she always gives him an earwash. I also have a 5 year old grandson and he has to brace himself when they come to visit. You never really know their background when from a rescue and for all I know she many never have been with children before. She is getting better and I am sure she we will keep on improving but you have to ask yourself if you have the time and patience as well as managing two little ones. The rescue I got her from would not rehome with children under 8 either but make an exception for visiting children. I think you may be better off with a puppy from a reputable breeder where they can gauge the temprement of the pup. They are lovely animals though and so full of character - I have always had rescues but this is my first Staffie.
Pollyanna
Pollyanna
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
hi, newbie looking for advice  Top_ra10

Status Status :

Dogs Name(s) : Lily
Dog(s) Ages : 2?
Dog Gender(s) : Girlie
Support total : 39

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jul 14 2012, 20:51

bexyboo wrote:hi thanks for the warm welcome Smile
Thanks for the advice we will get a puppy but from what ive seen the rescues near us dont get alot of pups in. i'll talk to afew breeders and see if they are planning a litter for next year.
I guess its all a "wait and see" game Smile

Thanks again Bex xx

P.S All your SBT's are gorgeous!!! Love Struck

Hi and welcome from me and the kids Big Grin So what area of the country do you live , you've not put a lot of information in your profiler to help us along Sad

Back to top Go down

Post by Jackieb Sat Jul 14 2012, 20:58

Hiya, I have 4 kids age 5,8,10,12

We have 2 blue staffys, a girl aged 15mths and boy aged 18wks. We had them from puppy aged 8wks.

IMO I'd go for puppy hands down. Dint get me wrong, rescuing a staffy is awesome and I appluad anyone that does it, but personally, with a young family I would go for a Good breeder, KC registered pup, that can grow with u as a family.
Jackieb
Jackieb
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Diesel & Tank
Dog(s) Ages : Diesel - May 2011. Tank - March 2012
Dog Gender(s) : Girl & Boy
Support total : 245

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jul 14 2012, 21:58

Hi and welcome from us and Suki

Back to top Go down

Post by jshrew Sat Jul 14 2012, 22:28

Hi and welcome from Ledger and me.

Have a hunt around and get your face known at some local rescue centres by volunteering to walk the staffys, they don't get many pups in but one near me unfortunately does have a regular intake of bitches that are pregnant but they also have a list of suitable homes wanting a pup
jshrew
jshrew
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Moderator
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Moderator

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Ledger and Maple
Dog(s) Ages : 7 and 2
Dog Gender(s) : Male and Female
Support total : 209

Back to top Go down

Post by Galadriel Sun Jul 15 2012, 07:24

Hi and welcome!

If your local rescue centre won't allow you to rehome because of your young kids and you decide to buy from a breeder, make sure you buy from a good, responsible breeder and not a BYB.

Make sure mum and dad are health tested (for L2HGA, HC, PHPV & PPSC, pups should also be screened for PHPV) and the breeder should be breeding for health, temperament and type. Get in touch with the breed council and/or your local breed club and they will help you.

Galadriel

Status Status :

Female
Support total : 175

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jul 15 2012, 08:48

Galadriel wrote:Hi and welcome!

If your local rescue centre won't allow you to rehome because of your young kids and you decide to buy from a breeder, make sure you buy from a good, responsible breeder and not a BYB.

Make sure mum and dad are health tested (for L2HGA, HC, PHPV & PPSC, pups should also be screened for PHPV) and the breeder should be breeding for health, temperament and type. Get in touch with the breed council and/or your local breed club and they will help you.

100% agree with everything Galadriel says , but 1 thing is not all the breeders that are good and responsible are registered with local breed clubs and the breed council etc though it is a very good starting point, for instance when they are just starting out , mine was relatively new and only their 2nd litter though they had staffs for the last 20 years. Quite a few of our members have experience of buying from UK breeders (as that's where we assume you are living) and can possibly make recommendations to you just let us know what area you live in (please update your profile)

Back to top Go down

Post by bexyboo Sun Jul 15 2012, 10:25

Pollyanna wrote:Hello from me and Lils. I got Lily from a rescue a couple of months ago and she's a little sweetie and the smallest Staffie in the world but she is still 14kg which is quite heavy if you are the age of your children. I have a 16month old grandson and she can knock him flying if we aren't careful - she doesn't mean to but she is just so boisterous and she always gives him an earwash. I also have a 5 year old grandson and he has to brace himself when they come to visit. You never really know their background when from a rescue and for all I know she many never have been with children before. She is getting better and I am sure she we will keep on improving but you have to ask yourself if you have the time and patience as well as managing two little ones. The rescue I got her from would not rehome with children under 8 either but make an exception for visiting children. I think you may be better off with a puppy from a reputable breeder where they can gauge the temprement of the pup. They are lovely animals though and so full of character - I have always had rescues but this is my first Staffie.

Hi hun, i know what you mean but i guess when we get a puppy (next year) our little ones will be 2 & 3, most of my family have dogs - 2 springer spaniels and 1 cavalier king charles spaniel so our little ones are used to being around dogs and pups. i'm sure your staffie will learn to be more gentle around your grandson's
Yeah i have the time and patience to add a pup to our family im a stay at home mum while my hubby goes out to bring home the bacon Wink so she would'nt be alone much at all Big Grin . xxx

[/quote]Hi and welcome from me and the kids Big Grin So what area of the country do you live , you've not put a lot of information in your profiler to help us along Sad [/quote]

hi hun, sorry i didnt know where to do my profile i'll take alook lol. we're in essex Smile xx

Dave wrote:
Galadriel wrote:Hi and welcome!

Thank you, i'v messaged afew breeders but i have'nt found one planning a litter for next year yet ive had a quick look at the KC site but i ddont belive they are always the best breeders. i'll just keep looking xx.

100% agree with everything Galadriel says , but 1 thing is not all the breeders that are good and responsible are registered with local breed clubs and the breed council etc though it is a very good starting point, for instance when they are just starting out , mine was relatively new and only their 2nd litter though they had staffs for the last 20 years. Quite a few of our members have experience of buying from UK breeders (as that's where we assume you are living) and can possibly make recommendations to you just let us know what area you live in (please update your profile)[/quote]

Hi hun i will do my profile in a sec, we're form essex, so we have Wagtails rescues, rspca ect xx
bexyboo
bexyboo

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Polly Pocket Thu Jul 19 2012, 13:02

Both of our Staffies have come from our local rescue centre as puppies, Polly was 9 weeks and Charlie was 8 weeks.
Both of them are great with all children we have met and all of the small children belonging to my daughter's friends which love to come visit to play with them.
We do keep a close eye on them all, the children have to be gentle with no eye poking or ear pulling etc and the dogs aren't allowed to rush around and get too excited otherwise it would be kiddie skittles in here.
It might be worth talking to the people who run your local rescues, that way they will be able to tell you their own policies.
Polly Pocket
Polly Pocket
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Polly, Charlie
Dog(s) Ages : 30/1/11 & 15/2/12
Dog Gender(s) : Female & Male
Support total : 25

Back to top Go down

Post by Staffy lover Thu Jul 19 2012, 13:55

Pixee is from the Blue Cross, why dont you have a look on there too, they can have pubs sometimes. Now we took on Pixee not knowing any history as she was found a stray. 6 months down the line, and we just love her to bits. We have found her to be very wary of certain people, but is getting better. Her recall was terrible, but much better now. She didnt know how to play with toys, didnt seem to like you touching her, but now loves hugs, licks you to death, always wants her stomach rubbed, bless her. And paws you for fuss. My son is 19, so I had no worries. We all had to meet her a few times, take her out to play etc before they let you take her home. Now she is my first staffie, hence the reason I joined this lovely brillant forum. I have grown up with dogs all my life, and I will say this, a staffie is nothing like any dog I have had. They are people dogs, they love you, but are very strong and can get very excited. They have those loogy hour where they just get so full of engery and start running round the house just so happy. They need more walks and playtime than any other dog I have known. So time and patient is needed there for them. Also you will get certain people giving you funny looks cos they see you with what they think, sadly, a killer dog. They the ones that need telling. But you have to learn to hold your head up high and ignore them. I do, I often smile or just ignore them. Pixee is the best dog I have had so far. They are very clever dogs too. So you do need to be careful in choosing a rehomed staffie, for the very reason, I would hate to see it has to be rehomed again cos of your kids being very young.
Staffy lover
Staffy lover

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Pixee
Dog(s) Ages : 4 ish
Dog Gender(s) : Bitch
Support total : 214

Back to top Go down