Frontline and Milbemax ???

3 posters

Go down

Frontline and Milbemax ??? Empty Frontline and Milbemax ???

Post by Guest Thu Jul 12 2012, 20:07

Anyone know if the 2 can be used together. I'm going to pop to the vets tomorrow and get sorted out anyway but just curious.
Tilly has been on Drontal flavour and after chats on here realised it doesn't cover lungworm, I got the drontal myself from PAH thinking she was on a good treatment, but it's not that good. After a few lumps apppeared on Tilly myself and the Vet (he wasn't sure it was a flea problem) decided to go with some frontline and she still has 2 to take.
Tommy is taking Milbemax for lung worm protection (no flea treatment) and I'd like to put Tilly on the same but not sure if the 2 treatments interact , I have to go to the vet anyway as Milbemax is only available with a prescription , like I say just curious in advance of tomorrow

Back to top Go down

Frontline and Milbemax ??? Empty Re: Frontline and Milbemax ???

Post by Guest Thu Jul 12 2012, 20:14

I don't know if they can be used together, I would suspect that they can.

Why do you want to use the Frontline anyway? Has Tommy got fleas?

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Thu Jul 12 2012, 20:15

I don't use any so not much help here Xx
janey
janey
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jul 12 2012, 20:26

Caryll wrote:I don't know if they can be used together, I would suspect that they can.

Why do you want to use the Frontline anyway? Has Tommy got fleas?

It was Tilly, she had a few little scabby lumps on her torso and took her to the vets , he wasn't sure what it was but was dissappearing at the time and we got into the discussion about flea treatment just in case as she'd been spendin a lot of time with my boys dogs so we weren't sure. In all fairness to our vet he said he doesn't normally bother with fleas as theres not a lot of money around Leek and if its a choice to be made then only one to make and thats to worm as worms can kill. I don't have money worries so told him I wanted the flea treatment anyway and so he sold it to me . 2 pipettes left so I though I may as well finish off the 6 month supply

Back to top Go down

Post by Lennons mum Thu Jul 12 2012, 20:30

I work in a vets, not a problem to be given together. Having said that I tend to space worming and flea treatment a few days apart, no reason really, just don't like bombarding my boy with treatments! I generally treat my dog with Drontal plus every 3 months, frontline combo every 2 months but every 6 months treat him with advocate for 2 consecutive months that covers lungworm, complicated I know!! but lungworm is very rare. Advocate also covers fleas and ticks so I swap the frontline for the advocate.
Lennons mum
Lennons mum
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Lennon
Dog(s) Ages : 2yrs9mnths
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jul 12 2012, 20:32

I just don't see why anyone would want to pour chemicals onto a dog that doesn't need them. Sad

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jul 12 2012, 20:37

Caryll wrote:I just don't see why anyone would want to pour chemicals onto a dog that doesn't need them. Sad

Tommy has had some treatment for mites last week as the first course of action as well now when his belly broke out into spots, that seems to have calmed now and they are dissapearing , the vet said next action would be as a suspected allergic reaction and some steroids as in his experience it's very rare that piriton has any effect (although he conceeded that sometimes it can) , the reason being more interested in a quick fix than a lenghty investigation. I am happy with him as a vet though and have no real concerns

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jul 12 2012, 20:38

Dave wrote:
Caryll wrote:I just don't see why anyone would want to pour chemicals onto a dog that doesn't need them. Sad

Tommy has had some treatment for mites last week as the first course of action as well now when his belly broke out into spots, that seems to have calmed now and they are dissapearing , the vet said next action would be as a suspected allergic reaction and some steroids as in his experience it's very rare that piriton has any effect (although he conceeded that sometimes it can) , the reason being more interested in a quick fix than a lenghty investigation. I am happy with him as a vet though and have no real concerns

Sorry I've just remembered as well Tommy's treatment was from a locum not our normal vet , sorry I was having a blonde moment

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jul 12 2012, 20:42

Try to steer clear of the steroids if you can.

Back to top Go down

Post by Lennons mum Thu Jul 12 2012, 20:45

My staffie has allergies, he is actually allergic to house dust mites! At the beginning I treated him with v expensive capsules (thank god for pet insurance!) but he has since got a lot better and I manage it with piriton. I appreciate that some ppl are concerned about chemicals but I am of the train of thought that prevention is better than cure. Years of research go into the products and actually frontline does not enter the bloodstream like other products so is not a concern in that respect. As far as steroids are concerned I have used them with my boy in short courses ie a wk but would def not want to use them as a long term fix.
Lennons mum
Lennons mum

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Lennon
Dog(s) Ages : 2yrs9mnths
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jul 12 2012, 20:47

Caryll wrote:Try to steer clear of the steroids if you can.

I did think that and if it was really bothering him I would go for the steroids for the quick fix, but if it had carried on and no great trouble I would steer him down the piriton route anyway as an option , I could have gone back this week and seen Ralph the normal vet and got a totally different diagnosis ,you know how it is, but I do trust him, we changed the date of Tilly's neutering just to guarantee it would be Ralph doing it as he always has a lot of time for her , he's just a Bull Breed , Mastiff etc kind of person

Back to top Go down

Post by goldie87 Fri Jul 13 2012, 09:21

When we got Zeus, our vets prescribed him with Frontline (to use every 2 months) and Milbemax worming tablets (to use monthly), so I'd say yeah, they can be used together!

As Lennons Mum said, I normally space them both out between a day or two as I don't want to bombard him with medication all in one day.
goldie87
goldie87

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Zeus
Dog(s) Ages : 12
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 164

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down