17 week old pup and one year old baby PLEASE HELP

3 posters

Go down

17 week old pup and one year old baby PLEASE HELP Empty 17 week old pup and one year old baby PLEASE HELP

Post by Coco Mon Jul 09 2012, 16:40

He there we just got Coco a 17 week old pup who from what i can gather has not had the best start .. we where told she was house trained but isnt although thats not reay a big issue .. but her and my daughter and terrible together the dog is getting better but once my daughter is crawling on the floor shes all over her jumping and licking and its realy freaking my daughter out ... I got the dog because im a stay at home mum and thought i had the time but i want to get the sorted asap cus its not fair on the dog to be in the kitchen most of the day ... because shes 17 weeks already and not had any training yet (starting lessons next week but need somthing to see my through till sat) shes really stubbon and wont listen to anything i say ... thanks in advance x
Coco
Coco
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Coco
Dog(s) Ages : 6 months
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

17 week old pup and one year old baby PLEASE HELP Empty Re: 17 week old pup and one year old baby PLEASE HELP

Post by janey Mon Jul 09 2012, 16:42

Hi & 17 week old pup and one year old baby PLEASE HELP Welcome

Welcome to the staffordshire bull terrier niceboard. We are pleased you have decided to join us, and hope you enjoy your stay. We hope to see plenty of pictures of your staffordshire bull terriers or any other breed you may have in your household Smile

If you would like to enter your dog(s), puppy(s) or another pet(s) you may have into our Monthly Competition, voting starts on the 20th of every month, if you are lucky your dog maybe placed on our Hall Of Fame page on our website.

Just one last thing before you look around could you please just have a quick look At This Poll, we would love to know how you found us.

Here are some links that will get you started with the website:-

17 week old pup and one year old baby PLEASE HELP Icon_arrow Please read the Forum Rules before you start posting.
17 week old pup and one year old baby PLEASE HELP Icon_arrow Here are a List of Tutorial & FAQs that will help you around the forum.
17 week old pup and one year old baby PLEASE HELP Icon_arrow You can ask for Help here if you are having trouble doing something on the forum.
17 week old pup and one year old baby PLEASE HELP Icon_arrow How to update your Profile information
17 week old pup and one year old baby PLEASE HELP Icon_arrow If you have any ideas to improve the forum please let us know Your Feedback Here.
17 week old pup and one year old baby PLEASE HELP Icon_arrow We have a Website with alot of information if you would like to view it.
17 week old pup and one year old baby PLEASE HELP Icon_arrow Make a Donation to help us to keep improving our forum and website.
janey
janey
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

17 week old pup and one year old baby PLEASE HELP Empty Re: 17 week old pup and one year old baby PLEASE HELP

Post by Guest Mon Jul 09 2012, 16:52

Oh, my. Who did you get the pup from, and why oh why didn't you see what she was like with young children before you got her?

Firstly, you're going to have to strictly supervise the pup whilst your daughter is in the same room. If necessary, leave a collar on her so that you can re-direct her away from your daughter.

Start training her now, don't wait for puppy classes to start. Teach her to 'sit' and to 'stay' and then use those commands to advantage when she's near your daughter.

What are you feeding her & what sort of exercise does she get?

P.S. Welcome to the forum! Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jul 09 2012, 17:07

my advice is...........follow Caryll's advice Smile

welcome to the forum , try not to get too stressed and hope you get things straight Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jul 09 2012, 17:20

Hello, and welcome to the forum.

At 4 months, your new pup can easily be trained but like Caryll says, that must start now. As your daughter is too young to understand boundaries, you must teach your pup what the boundaries are, especially with regards to your daughter, and NEVER leave them alone together, not even for a minute.

Whenever your pup begins to jump on your child, a loud ah ah, and give her a timeout. You must be consistent, each and every time.

Also please remember that your pup isn't trying to hurt your daughter, she just sees her as a playmate, and you must step in to help her realise that she isn't.

Back to top Go down

Post by Coco Mon Jul 09 2012, 18:09

Thanks everyone and i dont blame the pup at al bless her she just wants to play i feed her plain dry food as suggested by the women im starting dog lessons with and she is taked on 2/3 15-20 min walks a day . Im doing pretty much all the above so thats reasurring wen she jumps and my daughter i put her in the kitchen for 10 min then try again. When we got her we where told she had spent alot of time around a 7 month old baby but maybe she wasn't as loud as my daughter thanks again everone for the help x
Coco
Coco

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jul 09 2012, 18:30

Hi and welcome. Good advise has been given. To be honest, I think you may benifit from calling in a professional to advise you.

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Mon Jul 09 2012, 18:43

Hi and welcome to the forum from Rocky and me.

you are going to need to be very patient and consistant. Please have a look at the info sheet below for some great advice. Sorry dont have a young puppy or children:

http://staffy-bull-terrier.co.uk/staffiepupsandyoungchildren.html
Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jul 09 2012, 19:23

Coco wrote:Thanks everyone and i dont blame the pup at al bless her she just wants to play i feed her plain dry food as suggested by the women im starting dog lessons with and she is taked on 2/3 15-20 min walks a day . Im doing pretty much all the above so thats reasurring wen she jumps and my daughter i put her in the kitchen for 10 min then try again. When we got her we where told she had spent alot of time around a 7 month old baby but maybe she wasn't as loud as my daughter thanks again everone for the help x

Which dry food do you give her?

If she was around a 7 month old, it's quite possible that they were never on the floor at the same time, and Coco hasn't been able to adjust to a little scamp crawing around! Big Grin If that's the case, then you're starting from scratch, but as long as you're consistent she will soon learn.

Back to top Go down

Post by Coco Mon Jul 09 2012, 20:02

not sure what it was called as i no longer have the bag but it was some stuff with no adatives or added sugars xx
Coco
Coco

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jul 09 2012, 20:06

Just wondered if the food was making her a bit hyper, but if there were no additives, then it probably isn't the case.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jul 09 2012, 22:32

Hi and welcome from us and Suki. Excellent advice already given just remember to supervise her around your child and stay patient and consistant

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down