still mouthing :(

3 posters

Go down

still mouthing :( Empty still mouthing :(

Post by krik1690 Sun Jul 08 2012, 11:40

The pups 9 mnths and still has to nibble and bit on things including my arms legs etc putimg him out for 5 mims doesnt work and theres children about and it can be quite sore sometimes. I no he doesnt intensionsly mean to hurt as hes playing around but it hapens. what will i do. And if i gave him something else to chew on when he gets fed up he come straight to me lol
krik1690
krik1690
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : conan
Dog(s) Ages : 5 months
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

still mouthing :( Empty Re: still mouthing :(

Post by Guest Sun Jul 08 2012, 11:45

The best thing is to simply turn around and ignore him each and every time. He is seeking attention and if he consistantly recieves the opposite he will stop.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jul 08 2012, 12:15

Alsoa loud yelp when he so much as touchses your body will stop him in his tracks, this is what other puppies do.

Back to top Go down

Post by krik1690 Sun Jul 08 2012, 12:34

Done both of these but thanks anyway
krik1690
krik1690

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : conan
Dog(s) Ages : 5 months
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jul 08 2012, 12:36

consistency is the key. when you do these do you then reward for stopping?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jul 08 2012, 12:38

It just takes patience and consistancy. You could also use a bottle with change, nails or rocks inside to help discourage the behaviour. Just shake it when he starts to mouth.

Back to top Go down

Post by Jackieb Sun Jul 08 2012, 14:28

Agree with the above , patience and consistency. Even letting it go once will give him mixed messages, together with his age of 9mths hes like a stroppy teenager pushing boundaries.

With my pup, if he mouths me he gets a loud vocal correction 'AAAaaa' and I gently push him away stopping all touch....then I usually get up and just ignore him.

It does work..... cause my pup who is now 17wks today hasn't mouthed since about 11wks old !

I also believe strongly that a bored dog will be more mouthy and nippy. 2-3 walks a day, mental stimulation to redirect pent-up bad behaviour and a tasty large stagbar which really does satisfy the desire to chew !!

X
Jackieb
Jackieb
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Diesel & Tank
Dog(s) Ages : Diesel - May 2011. Tank - March 2012
Dog Gender(s) : Girl & Boy
Support total : 245

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jul 08 2012, 15:15

Jackieb wrote:Agree with the above , patience and consistency. Even letting it go once will give him mixed messages, together with his age of 9mths hes like a stroppy teenager pushing boundaries.

With my pup, if he mouths me he gets a loud vocal correction 'AAAaaa' and I gently push him away stopping all touch....then I usually get up and just ignore him.

It does work..... cause my pup who is now 17wks today hasn't mouthed since about 11wks old !

I also believe strongly that a bored dog will be more mouthy and nippy. 2-3 walks a day, mental stimulation to redirect pent-up bad behaviour and a tasty large stagbar which really does satisfy the desire to chew !!

X

Excellent advice. If he is still doing this at 9 months, I feel that there must be a bit of a lack of consistency. Perhaps someone in your house is allowing him to get away with the behaviour, therefore confusing him? If everyone was being persistent and consistent, it really should have stopped or at least eased significantly by now. Perhaps you need to sit down with everyone in your house and reinforce the rules.

I know how frustrating it is, especially when there are children are around, but he will get the message, as long as EVERYONE in the house are consistent with the rules. Good luck Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Sun Jul 08 2012, 15:16

how many times and how long for are you walking him?

Steve
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Male
Support total : 1443

https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down