5 Week Old Pup

+2
Kathy
MarsADay
6 posters

Go down

5 Week Old Pup Empty 5 Week Old Pup

Post by MarsADay Mon Jul 02 2012, 21:27

Hello, we have just bought a 5 week old puppy (please wait for the explanation, I know what some may be thinking)

We were told it was 6 weeks and had its jabs, but we have just been informed it is 5 weeks and had no jobs. We took the puppy because the owners were not exactly the type to look after dogs properly and wanted to give at least one of the puppies a good life, however having found out its had no jabs and younger than expected its lead to some tricky situations.

Can anyone offer some advice on the best way to introduce him and have good communication skills so he is friendly as an adult?
MarsADay
MarsADay
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Mars
Dog(s) Ages : 5 weeks
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

5 Week Old Pup Empty Re: 5 Week Old Pup

Post by Kathy Mon Jul 02 2012, 21:32

Hi and welcome to the forum from Rocky and me.

Please have a look at the link below to get you going. They are a few new puppy owners on here who I'm sure will not be able to resist :

PS, do you have any photos Big Grin

http://staffy-bull-terrier.co.uk/basicsfornewpuppyowners.html
Kathy
Kathy
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by MarsADay Mon Jul 02 2012, 21:35

Yes his name is Mars Smile

5 Week Old Pup 2vlmiqc
MarsADay
MarsADay

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jul 02 2012, 21:35

Well firstly a 6 week old pup wouldn't have had his jabs anyway, it's 8 weeks I'm afraid !! Never mind what's done is done now and hopefully you can make something of this little fellas life , we need Denise our resident breeder here to advise you on what you should and shouldn't be doing , how's he doing on his weight and everything poor little mite.
Have you had him to the vets yet for a good checkover ?? If the breeder had that attitude you can guarantee he wasn't exactly well cared for ?? You need to take advice off the vet for a puppy wormer , poor little bugger's probably riddled.

Next step is I would report the Breeder to the RSPCA, they just should not be allowed to do this it's sickening .

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jul 02 2012, 21:37

He looks lovely Love Struck .

Sorry for my manners , welcome to the forum from me and the kids Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jul 02 2012, 21:38

Oh look at it its adorable.

As dave said, after you get your pup a good check over, a call to the RSPCA is in order - back yard breeders won't stop if noone reports them. Hopefully you have saved this little one from a life of torment and bad owners.

Back to top Go down

Post by MarsADay Mon Jul 02 2012, 21:46

Hey thanks for the advice, hello from me, my mum and little Mars Smile

I thought the first jabs were at 4, then 8 weeks, then 12. We are taking him to the vets as soon as possible, we only got him today so he's still a little timid and getting used to everything, he seems to like sleeping in that blue blanket Big Grin

We have only had him a few hours, just glad to get him away, so cant really say to much about weight yet, dotn want to move him too much, he cries for his mother as it is.

Thank you Smile
MarsADay
MarsADay

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jul 02 2012, 21:52

MarsADay wrote:Hey thanks for the advice, hello from me, my mum and little Mars Smile

I thought the first jabs were at 4, then 8 weeks, then 12. We are taking him to the vets as soon as possible, we only got him today so he's still a little timid and getting used to everything, he seems to like sleeping in that blue blanket Big Grin

We have only had him a few hours, just glad to get him away, so cant really say to much about weight yet, dotn want to move him too much, he cries for his mother as it is.

Thank you Smile

The jabs are at 8 weeks, then 10 weeks and our vet now does a 3rd one at 15/16 weeks for parvo as apparently they have found in a small number of pups they develop a resistance from their mother through the milk so the 10 week injection isn't always enough. Our vet has just started this recently as our newest Tommy is just coming up to 11 weeks but our older girl Tilly just had 8 and 10 weeks.

He will miss his mother so much at that age , maybe a nice stuffed teddy will be in order, in fact a few stuffed teddy's so he just has that huddled feeling like being back with his liitermates, feel so sorry for the little fella Love Struck Love Struck

Back to top Go down

Post by MarsADay Mon Jul 02 2012, 21:58

davemck3834 wrote:
MarsADay wrote:Hey thanks for the advice, hello from me, my mum and little Mars Smile

Thank you Smile

The jabs are at 8 weeks, then 10 weeks and our vet now does a 3rd one at 15/16 weeks for parvo as apparently they have found in a small number of pups they develop a resistance from their mother through the milk so the 10 week injection isn't always enough. Our vet has just started this recently as our newest Tommy is just coming up to 11 weeks but our older girl Tilly just had 8 and 10 weeks.

He will miss his mother so much at that age , maybe a nice stuffed teddy will be in order, in fact a few stuffed teddy's so he just has that huddled feeling like being back with his liitermates, feel so sorry for the little fella Love Struck Love Struck

Yes I got an old teddy out for him but at the minute he seems to prefer snuggling to people, I'm going to let him stay with me in my bed for a few nights to try and mimic being with his mother, its not much but its all we can do Sad
MarsADay
MarsADay

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Mon Jul 02 2012, 21:59

I have heard of people putting a ticking watch or small clock in the puppies bed to simulate the mothers heartbeat ? It maybe a comfort for one so young.
Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jul 02 2012, 22:01

we had a member just joined a few weeks ago having a similar kind of introduction to BYB but not quite to your extent , you may find the post useful to read up, pay particular attention to the posts from Denise regarding a recommended feeding plan for the little fella. Denise breeds good healthy red and whites and pieds and you can't go far wrong with her advice, I'll stop bothering you now but good luck and hope you find everything you want out of us on here, all we ask in return is don't dissapear and make sure we get some regular photo updates Big Grin

https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com/t20460-need-some-help-please

Last edited by davemck3834 on Mon Jul 02 2012, 22:02; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jul 02 2012, 22:01

Yes teddy bears are essential to make them feel comforted. my girl had a big one she loved until she got old enough to realise shed rather chew.

Back to top Go down

Post by Galadriel Tue Jul 03 2012, 07:51

davemck3834 wrote:Well firstly a 6 week old pup wouldn't have had his jabs anyway, it's 8 weeks I'm afraid !! Never mind what's done is done now and hopefully you can make something of this little fellas life , we need Denise our resident breeder here to advise you on what you should and shouldn't be doing , how's he doing on his weight and everything poor little mite.
Have you had him to the vets yet for a good checkover ?? If the breeder had that attitude you can guarantee he wasn't exactly well cared for ?? You need to take advice off the vet for a puppy wormer , poor little bugger's probably riddled.

Next step is I would report the Breeder to the RSPCA, they just should not be allowed to do this it's sickening .

Equi wrote:Oh look at it its adorable.

As dave said, after you get your pup a good check over, a call to the RSPCA is in order - back yard breeders won't stop if noone reports them. Hopefully you have saved this little one from a life of torment and bad owners.

Hi and welcome!

I'm with the two above and also don't forget to report the person to the inland revenue if they work or the DWP if they're on benefits as money made from a litter has to be declared. If you hit these people where it hurts (in the pocket as they obviously don't care about anything else) then they might think twice about doing it again. Smile

Galadriel

Status Status :

Female
Support total : 175

Back to top Go down

Post by MarsADay Tue Jul 03 2012, 10:55

Thanks guys, gonna start looking for a ticking watch now, and fetch a few more teddies out. He slept in my bed last night and kept coming to me instead of his teddies and blankets haha Smile

Also, for him to start drinking more we are thinking of getting lactose free milk, would kitten milk do the same job??

Thanks in advance Smile
MarsADay
MarsADay

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 03 2012, 11:01

I'd either get him some puppy milk, or some goat's milk. If it's goat's milk you might want to water it down a bit to make sure it isn't too rich.

You should get him to the vets asap, even if he is a little timid. They won't do anything with him yet (ie vaccinations) but he will need worming, and he should be given a once over.

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Tue Jul 03 2012, 11:02

4 week old Surprised our society is mess at the moment

Steve

Status Status :

Male
Support total : 1443

https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 03 2012, 11:09

Steve wrote:4 week old Surprised our society is mess at the moment

5 weeks, Steve. Not much better, I know. Sad

Back to top Go down

Post by MarsADay Tue Jul 03 2012, 11:17

Caryll wrote:I'd either get him some puppy milk, or some goat's milk. If it's goat's milk you might want to water it down a bit to make sure it isn't too rich.

You should get him to the vets asap, even if he is a little timid. They won't do anything with him yet (ie vaccinations) but he will need worming, and he should be given a once over.

Thank you, we are trying to get him to the vets asap, don't worry Smile

We couldn't leave him in the room he was in, just a empty box room with his mother and siblings with empty water, apparently they sold some before even us aswell :/.

It wasn't really the owners fault as he was kicked out by his girlfriend and made homeless, but we don't want them left with him either.
MarsADay
MarsADay

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Tue Jul 03 2012, 11:20

MarsADay wrote:
Caryll wrote:I'd either get him some puppy milk, or some goat's milk. If it's goat's milk you might want to water it down a bit to make sure it isn't too rich.

Thank you, we are trying to get him to the vets asap, don't worry Smile

We couldn't leave him in the room he was in, just a empty box room with his mother and siblings with empty water, apparently they sold some before even us aswell :/.

It wasn't really the owners fault as he was kicked out by his girlfriend and made homeless, but we don't want them left with him either.

the dog may have problems i hope you going be a good trainer.... you should of report him/her

Steve

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 03 2012, 11:22

MarsADay wrote:Thank you, we are trying to get him to the vets asap, don't worry Smile

I suppose the answer to that is that he should have taken both the mother & the pups to a rescue shelter. Sad They would have kept them together, properly housed & fed until the time was right for them to leave. Pups usually find homes very easily from a shelter.

Back to top Go down

Post by MarsADay Tue Jul 03 2012, 11:31

Yes he will be trained, we have had KC registered staffies in the past, two adults who went on to have puppies themselves. As soon as he is old enough he will be vaccinated, wormed and chipped.

The only concern is with him being so young, how can we calm him down, we have teddies, but no ticking watch or clock, as suggested above. Any other advice?

What;s done is done with its mother, and we will try to persuade the owner of the mother to take them to a shelter, but there is no guarantee.

5 Week Old Pup 2gybvhl
MarsADay
MarsADay

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 03 2012, 11:41

Aw, he's so sweet!

MarsADay wrote:The only concern is with him being so young, how can we calm him down, we have teddies, but no ticking watch or clock, as suggested above. Any other advice?

At such a young age, I don't think you can calm him down - one of the reasons they should stay with their siblings. Sad

It's something you'll have to ride out for the next two or three weeks until he's a bit bigger & stronger & you can start to tire him out a bit with play.

Back to top Go down

Post by MarsADay Tue Jul 03 2012, 11:54

Caryll wrote:Aw, he's so sweet!

MarsADay wrote:The only concern is with him being so young, how can we calm him down, we have teddies, but no ticking watch or clock, as suggested above. Any other advice?

At such a young age, I don't think you can calm him down - one of the reasons they should stay with their siblings. Sad

It's something you'll have to ride out for the next two or three weeks until he's a bit bigger & stronger & you can start to tire him out a bit with play.

Thanks, just something we gonna have to get through but we will persevere and treat him right Smile
MarsADay
MarsADay

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 03 2012, 13:29

He is ever so sweet. I dont blame you for taking him in. personally, whenever I get a pup, we do a detour past the vet as a matter of course. Your vet would also be in a position to advise you on how to take care of a little one this young.

Good luck.

Back to top Go down

Post by MarsADay Wed Jul 04 2012, 19:33

Thanks all, the owners have just said he is approaching 8 weeks, so we are quite confused but the vets is in order for tomorrow Smile
MarsADay
MarsADay

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jul 04 2012, 19:37

I would say that there's no way this pup is approaching 8 weeks old.

MarsADay wrote:5 Week Old Pup 2vlmiqc
MarsADay wrote:5 Week Old Pup 2gybvhl

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jul 04 2012, 19:58

Caryll wrote:I would say that there's no way this pup is approaching 8 weeks old.
MarsADay wrote:5 Week Old Pup 2vlmiqc

We are not being funny but I really believe you are being lied to by the breeder, this is my new addition Tommy at just under 5 weeks and again at 7 weeks and 2 days , the day we got him, (we picked him up from our breeder slightly early due to our own personal reasons NOT because of the breeder) do you notice a slight difference. I know all of these times and dates are correct because |I have seen all the paperwork , got copies of all the paperwork and took the photos myself.

Tommy at just under 5 weeks

5 Week Old Pup P1000817

Tommy at 7 weeks 2 days

5 Week Old Pup DSC00404

I would say at least 1 week younger but most likely 2 weeks younger than Tommy in last photo so maybe approaching 8 weeks ??? but from how far away ??? If I get on the M1 at Sheffield and drive South then technically I am approaching London but |'m still a long way off.

Please don't think we are criticising because we aren't but just trying to make you see that you have to appreciate how young this little one is and act accordingly

Back to top Go down

Post by MarsADay Wed Jul 04 2012, 22:34

Sorry I cant usually get a good picture whiles he's up, too energetic Tongues managed to get this one though?

5 Week Old Pup Vsdx8g
MarsADay
MarsADay

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Jackieb Thu Jul 05 2012, 06:08

Looks more like 6ish to me.
Jackieb
Jackieb
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Diesel & Tank
Dog(s) Ages : Diesel - May 2011. Tank - March 2012
Dog Gender(s) : Girl & Boy
Support total : 245

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jul 05 2012, 06:55

MarsADay wrote:Sorry I cant usually get a good picture whiles he's up, too energetic Tongues managed to get this one though?

5 Week Old Pup Vsdx8g

Well as you can see from my pics (with hands Smile ) can't see any way that he's anything near 8 weeks unless he's crossed with a midget jack russell or something and even then regardless of size he just doesn't look developed. Your vet should be able to give you a little guidance on injections etc as I think he is way too young for them . I would tend to ignore what the breeder is telling you , assume 5/6 weeks old and wait another 2/3 weeks before first injections

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jul 05 2012, 08:22

Fact is you have bought an underage pup off back yard breeders, if you don't report them they will be free to do this again and again. In my mind thats nearly as bad.

Back to top Go down

Post by MarsADay Thu Jul 05 2012, 16:28

davemck3834 wrote:
MarsADay wrote:Sorry I cant usually get a good picture whiles he's up, too energetic Tongues managed to get this one though?

5 Week Old Pup Vsdx8g

Well as you can see from my pics (with hands Smile ) can't see any way that he's anything near 8 weeks unless he's crossed with a midget jack russell or something and even then regardless of size he just doesn't look developed. Your vet should be able to give you a little guidance on injections etc as I think he is way too young for them . I would tend to ignore what the breeder is telling you , assume 5/6 weeks old and wait another 2/3 weeks before first injections

Thanks Smile, I've got him in the vets tomorrow for worming and a proper appointment next Thursday.

^He wasn't a back yard breeder, he wasn;t doing it purely for profit, he and his girlfriend split up and she kicked him out, so its not his fault about the pups, but yes the situation could of been handled better
MarsADay
MarsADay

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jul 05 2012, 17:32

sorry but thats a byb circumstances are irrelevant there is no way onearth he wouldbe called a responsible breeder and anything else is a byb regardless of any sob stories he might give

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jul 09 2012, 15:00

MarsADay wrote: we have had KC registered staffies in the past, two adults who went on to have puppies themselves.
5 Week Old Pup 2gybvhl

I'm sorry i'm confused i dont know Here you claimed to of bred pups. If this is the case can you not tell this pup was NOT 8 wks old at the time you purchased him.

Back to top Go down

Post by Psychadelic Mon Jul 09 2012, 15:55

I got my Oden at 6 weeks, went for his first jabs at 7 and a half weeks (as far as I know 1st vaccs @ 6 - 8 weeks). Has been all good so far, I would not worry too much. If anything take agvantage of the fact you have the pup early! He will learn quick Wink and will totally love you to bits hehe!
Psychadelic
Psychadelic
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Oden
Dog(s) Ages : 4 months
Support total : 6

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jul 09 2012, 15:59

Psychadelic wrote:I got my Oden at 6 weeks, went for his first jabs at 7 and a half weeks (as far as I know 1st vaccs @ 6 - 8 weeks). Has been all good so far, I would not worry too much. If anything take agvantage of the fact you have the pup early! He will learn quick Wink and will totally love you to bits hehe!

I'm sorry, but that really isn't good advice. A pup should not go to its new home, away from his siblingd, until at least 7 weeks, preferably 8 weeks or more. Yes, it's done & dusted & there's nothing else for it but to make the most of it, but it still isn't a good thing.

Back to top Go down

Post by Psychadelic Mon Jul 09 2012, 16:12

I agree 5 weeks is young but I really don't see it being an issue for the dogs future at all. Lots of pups have a hard start for whatever reason but with the right care they turn out fine. Puppies can be put on a formula just like real babies and considering it's a matter of a couple of weeks... I guess we all have different views.

Good luck with your pup MarsADay Big Grin
Psychadelic
Psychadelic

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Mon Jul 09 2012, 16:29

pup leaving their litter before 8 weeks will in most cases will make the dog very DA.... is that what we need more psycho staffy barking their heads off when see another dog?

Steve

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jul 09 2012, 16:31

Psychadelic wrote:I agree 5 weeks is young but I really don't see it being an issue for the dogs future at all. Lots of pups have a hard start for whatever reason but with the right care they turn out fine. Puppies can be put on a formula just like real babies and considering it's a matter of a couple of weeks... I guess we all have different views.

Good luck with your pup MarsADay Big Grin

You don't see a problem? It isn't just a 'hard start' to life. They miss out on vital interraction with their dam & siblings & have to contend with the stress of a new home at a tender age. Many pups that leave too early develop behavioural problems in later life. Whilst it does happen, it cannot be condoned.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jul 09 2012, 16:58

My boy left the breeder at 6 weeks simply because all of his siblings died by 4 weeks and at 6 weeks him and mum weren't interacting. If his siblings had lived, he would most definitely have stayed with them until 8 weeks. Luckily, we have no issues with him, but that is only because I worked incredibly hard on training and socializing him because I knew how much he'd missed out on, not having his litter mates for long. It can work out, but only if you're prepared for some serious hard work and understand that the first few months are going to be extremely difficult.

Back to top Go down

Post by Psychadelic Tue Jul 10 2012, 03:18

Clearly I will keep my comments to myself. Was only giving advice from my own experiences.
Psychadelic
Psychadelic

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 10 2012, 10:04

Psychadelic wrote:Clearly I will keep my comments to myself. Was only giving advice from my own experiences.

There was no offense intended, and I'm sorry if it came out that way.

However, there are reasons for leaving pups with their siblings until at least 8 weeks old, and although there are sometimes exceptions, that should be the age to go for.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down