No Staff for a while

4 posters

Go down

No Staff for a while Empty No Staff for a while

Post by Deebee Fri Jun 15 2012, 15:16

I joined the forum because I was hoping to rescue a Staff and I was looking for some info. Now we won't be getting our Staff for a while.

We were in the park with my Boxer who was on her lead and there was a woman there who had no control over her dog and we had a ba experience with her dog. My dog has always been really friendly and sociable but now she is really scared of other dogs except for our Bichon. We've got a trainer and she said that my dog is obviously really scared but she is hopeful that we'll be able to desensitise her to other dogs. A Staff and Rottie ran up to her before we had a chance to move away and she was more relaxed with them than any of the other dogs we've met. The trainer said the Staff and Rottie were really friendly and confident and so my dog felt less fearful.

It breaks our hearts to see our dog so scared but we're just really hoping that she will feel confident again in time. Thanks for the advice we've received and I'll keep reading the forum because I still hope to have a Staff one day.

Deebee
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dog(s) Ages : 5 years & 4 years
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

No Staff for a while Empty Re: No Staff for a while

Post by janey Fri Jun 15 2012, 15:23

Sorry to hear that, what happened with the other dog? Its a shame this has ruined it for you for now.

Maybe in time her confidence will grow again, stupid people don't realise what there actions can cause!

Please stick around, I'd like to hear how you get on >Big Grin<
janey
janey
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Fri Jun 15 2012, 15:25

Agree with Janey. Sometimes the timing is just all wrong. I am sure your boxer will recover but like you say, best to wait until confidence returns. Let us know how you are getting on!
Ben
Ben

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Frosty, Piglette
Dog(s) Ages : 3, 5
Dog Gender(s) : Male, Female
Support total : 325

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jun 15 2012, 15:32

What a horrible thing to happen.

I really hope that she picks up quickly & goes back to the way she was before.

Back to top Go down

Post by Deebee Fri Jun 15 2012, 17:01

Thanks so much, really kind of you. I'll definitely let you know how we get on.

It's such a shame because our dog now has to wear a muzzle. Really hope the muzzle is only temporary but the trainer says it's needed for now. So many people let their dogs run up to us even though we ask them to call their dog away and explain why.

Deebee

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Fri Jun 15 2012, 17:04

There's just no telling some people, and there actions have been detremental on you Sad
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Fri Jun 15 2012, 18:12

Sounds like you have made a very unselfish decision on leaving it for a while. You must consider you own dog first and make sure of their welfare. Well done and hope you can soon be in the position again to consider another dog.
Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jun 15 2012, 18:20

Best of luck and hope it works out for you

Back to top Go down

Post by Deebee Sat Jun 16 2012, 15:15

janey wrote:

There's just no telling some people, and there actions have been detremental on you Sad

They really have. I don't really mind when dogs run up and the owner is actually trying to call their dog away but it's the owners that don't bother. I asked someone to call their small dog away and explained about my dog's fear and the owner said no! They said, "if your dog's scared it will be good for her to meet my dog". Their little dog was running around my dog's legs and my dog reacted.

We'll just keep trying our best to help my girl feel confident again. Thanks again everyone.

Deebee

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jun 16 2012, 17:26

Deebee wrote:It's such a shame because our dog now has to wear a muzzle. Really hope the muzzle is only temporary but the trainer says it's needed for now. So many people let their dogs run up to us even though we ask them to call their dog away and explain why.

Has the trainer said why a muzzle is needed? Is she very bad with all dogs?

Deebee wrote:They really have. I don't really mind when dogs run up and the owner is actually trying to call their dog away but it's the owners that don't bother. I asked someone to call their small dog away and explained about my dog's fear and the owner said no! They said, "if your dog's scared it will be good for her to meet my dog". Their little dog was running around my dog's legs and my dog reacted.

What a load of old tosh! If your dog's scared, you need to be able to say who she meets & who she doesn't, and under what circumstances! Rolling Eyes

Back to top Go down

Post by Deebee Sat Jun 16 2012, 18:38

It's difficult because it's not every dog, she was quite relaxed with the Staff and Rottie but their owner was making such a fuss of her and I think that helped to distract her a bit. But with most other dogs, big or small, she reacts. Even if the dog is a distance away she shifts all her weight forward and if the dog gets closer she lunges and she sometimes gives a growl. I really don't like her wearing the muzzle but I guess it's for the best for now.

It's a huge difference in her and the trainer said it could take a long time to desensitise her. I've no experience with trying to desensitise a dog before and I'm just really hoping she will improve. She's not enjoying her walks anymore even though we try and make it fun for her.

Deebee

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Deebee Sat Jun 16 2012, 20:47

Caryll wrote:

Forgot to mention in my post above, I'm hoping the muzzle doesn't make things worse and make her feel more restricted.

Deebee

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jun 16 2012, 21:30

Deebee wrote:It's difficult because it's not every dog, she was quite relaxed with the Staff and Rottie but their owner was making such a fuss of her and I think that helped to distract her a bit. But with most other dogs, big or small, she reacts. Even if the dog is a distance away she shifts all her weight forward and if the dog gets closer she lunges and she sometimes gives a growl. I really don't like her wearing the muzzle but I guess it's for the best for now.

It's a huge difference in her and the trainer said it could take a long time to desensitise her. I've no experience with trying to desensitise a dog before and I'm just really hoping she will improve. She's not enjoying her walks anymore even though we try and make it fun for her.

I often think that a muzzle can make matters worse. Unless the dog is 100% DA then I wouldn't use one.

Deebee wrote:
Caryll wrote:

Forgot to mention in my post above, I'm hoping the muzzle doesn't make things worse and make her feel more restricted.

It's a problem. Personally I'd try to desensitise her without a muzzle to begin with.

Back to top Go down

Post by Deebee Sat Jun 16 2012, 22:20

Caryll wrote:

It's a problem. Personally I'd try to desensitise her without a muzzle to begin with.

I agree with you. The trainer said it's classic fear, we don't believe it DA. The trainer wants the muzzle because of other dogs running up to our dog.
I keep her on a 10m longline lead because she can sometime approach other dogs, she stops before she gets close to them but she does posture. I didn't think I would have to muzzle her as long as she is always on her lead. I'll talk to the trainer about it again because she knows we're not sure about it.

Deebee

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content