thinking about getting another dog but small dog...

5 posters

Go down

thinking about getting another dog but small dog... Empty thinking about getting another dog but small dog...

Post by emmaa Mon Jun 11 2012, 23:15

ive got a 18month old female staffy, i used to have another girl dog who was also a staff. however im now wanting another dog but a small dog, such as a yorki or a dachshund. i was just seeking advice to see if this would be a good idea. i was thinking about getting another bitch. my staff is friendly with other dogs, however since my other female staff died, shes only really been with male dogs out on walks such as my boy friends husky or my other friends boxer, so shes not really been with other small female dogs.

i just want to know if anyone has tried having a staff with a small dog and if they are ok together?
emmaa
emmaa
Regular Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Lexi
Dog(s) Ages : 1years old
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

thinking about getting another dog but small dog... Empty Re: thinking about getting another dog but small dog...

Post by Guest Mon Jun 11 2012, 23:25

I would personally get a male if your going to get another dog.
I don't think it matters what breed of dog you get, it's still a dog.
If I was to get another I would concentrate more on who Blue gravitated too. If your getting a puppy however I know thats not really possible

Back to top Go down

thinking about getting another dog but small dog... Empty Re: thinking about getting another dog but small dog...

Post by emmaa Mon Jun 11 2012, 23:32

hmmm, i really dont know what to do. its like i really really want another dog like a small dog. but i think its easier and you have a better bond with a dog when there's only 1 dog. if that makes sense. its like my heart says get another 1 but my head says dont be stupid lol
emmaa
emmaa

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by emmaa Mon Jun 11 2012, 23:33

i wish i could just bring a puppy home and see how she reacts to another dog. the only thing with my dog she loves her toys and is abit of a brat with them... so im not so sure what she will be like, when it comes to toys either "/
emmaa
emmaa

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jun 11 2012, 23:38

You just need to be careful about the size differnence. i know some staffs are fine with smaller dogs but even play is very rough and they can really hurt a little dog. you might get a small dog and find you have to seperate them when you are not in the room to make sure the small one isnt harmed by play.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jun 11 2012, 23:39

I am always thinking of getting another but I change from one thing to another all the time. I thought of getting an older dog who is balanced from a rescue to teach Blue some basic socializing skills, Then I think get a puppy so Blue has a companion.
Then I think....just concentrate on training Blue and enjoying him.
So know how you feel.
I think I'm only going to get that 2nd dog once I know it's what I want

Back to top Go down

Post by emmaa Mon Jun 11 2012, 23:42

yer id not leave them together unsupervised. i just dont know what to do lol i think im just going to try to ignore all of the other cute dogs out there and enjoy my girl while i can. Smile hmmm but then again i really want to rescue a dog and give a dog that needs a loving home..
emmaa
emmaa

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Buster's_Mum Tue Jun 12 2012, 09:57

I have a small dog aswell as Buster, but she was here first. They dont play together (she is too grumpy) infact, they dont do much together, except sleep together occasionally. I think it can work, but it will depend on the temprement of your dog, and I would also get a male, whichever breed you get.

LuLu has always got on with other dogs outside the house, although she isnt too keen when they are bouncy so I knew when I got Buster that there would be problems, although I thought by now she would be better with him. If she had been a staffy then I think one of them would have suffered some sort of injury now (most likely Buster as he is too soft, but then he mightve fought back if she was bigger) as LuLu has told him off a fair few times, and has bit him! (she has never drawn blood, so I think they are all still warning bites) He just stands there, waits for her to finish, then either walks off or takes whatever it was he wanted anyway Rolling Eyes I am always with them, they are never left alone together as if he did ever do anything back LuLu would come off badly injured, or worse!
Buster's_Mum
Buster's_Mum
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
thinking about getting another dog but small dog... Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Buster, LuLu (chinese crested)
Dog(s) Ages : 10 months, 3 1/2 yrs
Dog Gender(s) : Male, Female
Support total : 9

Back to top Go down

Post by Galadriel Tue Jun 12 2012, 10:34

I'd avoid something like a yorkie TBH, a bit fragile for playtime with a staffy. Something small but tough like a JRT would be more suitable IMO.

Generally, you'd be better off getting a dog rather than a bitch but that's not a hard fast rule. If I were you, I'd go to my local rescue and just spend time finding another dog that suits you and your current dog.

Galadriel
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Support total : 175

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jun 12 2012, 10:37

Have a look at rescue. Please! At least with rescues you can take Lexi along to the centre to see if they get on. Then, you can introduce them & get them used to eaxh other a bit before you take the new dog home.

I'd go for a male.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jun 12 2012, 11:21

Definately id say a male, I have 2 bitches & a dog n the girls cant play my female staffie is waaay to rough with the whippet/jack, and as my males getting bigger i have to limit it slightly, only this morning my OH had to stop the play as Kode was hurting Brandy just playing.
Also my parents have 4 bitches and all they get is 24/7 fighting, They was all fine for years then the pack got upset by the house move, parents now have to put 2 in "free run behavourist kennels" (bit like cesar milans place) whilst at work and the other 2 r seperated in different rooms, the fights spark over nothing sometimes even when we are all there watching them, its not even due to lack of space they have a huge house and acres of land.

Back to top Go down

Post by emmaa Tue Jun 12 2012, 13:01

orite thanks for the advice Smile the only reason why i was thinking about getting another bitch is that i used to have two staffs 1 male and 1 female and even thought the bitch was spayed the male dog use to try to mate with her and she use to have none of it and they would get into bad fights, however this would not happen often. but they were the best of friends, they were lovely together only got bad when the male dog wanted to mate. so thats why i was thinking about getting another bitch. hmmm i dont know what to do.
emmaa
emmaa

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jun 12 2012, 13:43

Yorkies are little yappers and I think it would disturb your staff (I know it does Tilly) and Dachshunds are actually one of the most aggressive dogs around believe it or not , think it's little man syndrome for both of them.
Would you not consider another Staffy , from a rescue ?? We've just gone down this road but breeder was the only real option for us as my OH is a childminder

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jun 12 2012, 21:15

davemck3834 wrote:Yorkies are little yappers and I think it would disturb your staff (I know it does Tilly) and Dachshunds are actually one of the most aggressive dogs around believe it or not , think it's little man syndrome for both of them.
Would you not consider another Staffy , from a rescue ?? We've just gone down this road but breeder was the only real option for us as my OH is a childminder

Dave no dogs born aggressive its how they are brought up Smile, just like staffs bad owners = bad dogs.

I have a smallish dog tara not really small but smaller than the boys and they get on great. i knwo someone who has staffs and a chiuahah (however u spell it!!) and they too get on fine.

I would go for a male also tbh.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jun 12 2012, 21:23

emmaa wrote:orite thanks for the advice Smile the only reason why i was thinking about getting another bitch is that i used to have two staffs 1 male and 1 female and even thought the bitch was spayed the male dog use to try to mate with her and she use to have none of it and they would get into bad fights, however this would not happen often. but they were the best of friends, they were lovely together only got bad when the male dog wanted to mate. so thats why i was thinking about getting another bitch. hmmm i dont know what to do.

Your dog wouldn't have been trying to mate with your bitch - it would have been purely a display of dominance, and that can also happen with two bitches.

xXxshelly_stanliexXx wrote:
davemck3834 wrote:Yorkies are little yappers and I think it would disturb your staff (I know it does Tilly) and Dachshunds are actually one of the most aggressive dogs around believe it or not , think it's little man syndrome for both of them.

Dave no dogs born aggressive its how they are brought up Smile, just like staffs bad owners = bad dogs.

I know what Dave means - some of the smaller breeds are known to be a bit snappy - not aggressive as such, but snappy & noisy!

I wouldn't get a Daschund purely beacause I'd be worried about damage to the over long back by an over enthusiastic staff!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jun 12 2012, 21:26

I have a smallish dog tara not really small but smaller than the boys and they get on great. i knwo someone who has staffs and a chiuahah (however u spell it!!) and they too get on fine.

Sorry Shelley I stand corrected Blushing , but I think it is fact that the little dogs (and I don't include Tara ) are always the gobby ones , but maybe that's because they generally spend more time travelling in someone's arms or handbag Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jun 12 2012, 21:29

Caryll wrote:I know what Dave means - some of the smaller breeds are known to be a bit snappy - not aggressive as such, but snappy & noisy!

I wouldn't get a Daschund purely beacause I'd be worried about damage to the over long back by an over enthusiastic staff!

Through being treated like babies by idiot owner, just like we defend staffs on a regular basis it isnt the dog its the owner.
Ive met nicely behaved not yappy jrts, dachshounds, ive met a few yappy ones also.
I wouldnt have a dacshound either not the dog for me lol. but a pug on the other hand id love Big Grin lol

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jun 12 2012, 21:31

davemck3834 wrote:

Sorry Shelley I stand corrected Blushing , but I think it is fact that the little dogs (and I don't include Tara ) are always the gobby ones , but maybe that's because they generally spend more time travelling in someone's arms or handbag Big Grin

Lol, just sometimes feel we shouldnt say things about other dogs makes us as bad as those who judge staffs.
Haha tara dosnt yap but can be snappy at times with other dogs.
Totally agree it is because they spend more time treated like babies than dogs. GRRRRRRR

Back to top Go down

Post by kate32 Tue Jun 12 2012, 21:38

My friend has a sausage dog x who's 8 and a staff pup who's 6 monthsish, both female, pup gets abit much for the sausage dog and she puts it in its place a fair bit, the pup tends to play with the cat more!

If it was me, id go for a male also, and rescue so you Can do proper introductions..
Have you thought about fostering? That way you Can trial run having another dog in the house! X
kate32
kate32
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : maisy n scooby
Dog(s) Ages : 2 n 3
Dog Gender(s) : female n male
Support total : 19

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jun 12 2012, 21:47

I don't own a small dogs, but my two especially Chance who's a 50kg ambull LOVES to play with little dogs particually jack russels, he also seems to know to be alot more careful around them Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Maggie1 Tue Jun 12 2012, 22:48

We have a male mini jack russell, who we had first, they get on fine. I picked 2 from the rescue I liked a bitch and a dog as I have 1 of each. They didn't get on with the dog so we get the bitch.

I personally would avoid achshounds. My friend had 3. 2 ended up damaging their backs and having surgery. 1 never recovered and was put to sleep. They were not old when this happen. I do like they as dogs, but couldn't personally get a dog with such high risk of health problems.
Maggie1
Maggie1

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Maggie
Dog(s) Ages : 2
Dog Gender(s) : F
Support total : 16

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down