unusual behavioural problem

4 posters

Go down

unusual behavioural problem Empty unusual behavioural problem

Post by pete123 Sun May 27 2012, 19:49

Our staffy has started to come up the stairs at night and jump up onto our bed spending the night there. We perhaps foolishly let this behaviour go a few nights, now he will not leave. If we bring him fown stairs to his usual bed, he will screetch and bark to the point that is impossible to sleep + he could wake neighbours so we no choice but to take him back down again compounding the problem!!!!

Has anybody got any suggestions as to how we might get him to stay downstairs barking /screetching the house down and driving our neighbours mad in the process?

Post moved to Training & Behaviour

pete123
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

unusual behavioural problem Empty Re: unusual behavioural problem

Post by Guest Sun May 27 2012, 19:51

Moved it to a new section

Back to top Go down

Post by kelpie Sun May 27 2012, 20:56

Hi, It's heartbreaking when they do behave like that Sad If it was me... I'd go back to basic's...Get back into a routine.. Out for bedtime wee... then into his bed... you go upstairs... if he cry's give him a minute or 2 then go down but DO NOT say anything to him.. get a glass of water or something.. then go back up... again if he cry's again give him 5 mins or so... then go down but again do NOT acknowledge him... it takes time but eventually they should stop because it's not getting him the attention he wants. We also left a radio on low and a nightlight for our dog... Some dogs get it really quick others it takes a few nights. Good luck, I'm sure others on here have had this experience too. C.
kelpie
kelpie
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
unusual behavioural problem Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Rolo
Dog(s) Ages : 2 1/2 years old
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 92

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Sun May 27 2012, 21:05

Your confusing him, I think you had a problem before with worrying about the barking? Either downstairs (nice apartment Wink ) or upstairs.

Get a stair gate and don't go to him when he whines, may take a while but he'll learn.
janey
janey
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun May 27 2012, 21:31

I agree with Janey. It might be worth knocking on your neighbour's doors too and explaining that you are training him at the moment to be alone and he may well whine for a couple of nights. Apologise, but let them know that it is necessary that you do it so that eventually your dog will be fine when left alone and won't whine and disturb anyone.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon May 28 2012, 00:00

janey wrote:Your confusing him, I think you had a problem before with worrying about the barking? Either downstairs (nice apartment Wink ) or upstairs.
Get a stair gate and don't go to him when he whines, may take a while but he'll learn.
shontelle wrote:I agree with Janey. It might be worth knocking on your neighbour's doors too and explaining that you are training him at the moment to be alone and he may well whine for a couple of nights. Apologise, but let them know that it is necessary that you do it so that eventually your dog will be fine when left alone and won't whine and disturb anyone.

I agree with both the above. I wouldn't go down to him at all. If he cries, then he cries. Sounds harsh, but when he finally realises that he isn't going to get what he wants (attention) he'll stop. It's just a matter of routine & apologising to the neighbours! Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon May 28 2012, 02:54

Caryll wrote:
janey wrote:Your confusing him, I think you had a problem before with worrying about the barking? Either downstairs (nice apartment Wink ) or upstairs.
shontelle wrote:I agree with Janey. It might be worth knocking on your neighbour's doors too and explaining that you are training him at the moment to be alone and he may well whine for a couple of nights. Apologise, but let them know that it is necessary that you do it so that eventually your dog will be fine when left alone and won't whine and disturb anyone.

I agree with both the above. I wouldn't go down to him at all. If he cries, then he cries. Sounds harsh, but when he finally realises that he isn't going to get what he wants (attention) he'll stop. It's just a matter of routine & apologising to the neighbours! Big Grin

I can't think of any other way unless you move his be into your room

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon May 28 2012, 11:44

Just like kids Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by Jackieb Mon May 28 2012, 20:45

Crate with a blanket over it at bedtime. Works a treat Smile
Jackieb
Jackieb
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator