Best Lead

3 posters

Go down

Best Lead Empty Best Lead

Post by petel1983 Sun May 20 2012, 11:20

Bruno is now 9 Months and when we got him we tried him with a harness but he pulled like hell and even worse with just a normal collar.
He is now using a choke collar what im not to sure about as a lot of people think they are dangerous.
Since using it he doesn't pull as much but has not stopped it all together.
Can anyone advise what i shall use as eventually would just like him to have a normal collar.
petel1983
petel1983
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Bruno
Dog(s) Ages : 9 Months
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Best Lead Empty Re: Best Lead

Post by Guest Sun May 20 2012, 11:54

I would advise against a choke collar because they can cause an injury and should only be used be very experienced handlers for very short training periods.

We use a harness and collar together. The lead stays on the harness most of the time but if we get somewhere where she is very likely to be distracted or we want control of her head we switch to the collar.

When he starts to pull turn around and walk in the opposite direction. It takes forever to get somewhere but it does work with patience and consistancy. Also keep some treats or a favorite toy with you to get his attention.

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Sun May 20 2012, 11:56

When we first got Rocky he was a bit of a nightmare on the lead so we treated him to a Canny Collar. They are available at Amazon but shop around as they may not necessarily be the cheapest:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Canny-Company-Collar-Black/dp/B000PI7L7M/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1337511149&sr=8-1
Kathy
Kathy
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by goldie87 Sun May 20 2012, 13:43

zeus's first lead was a chain one (to stop him from biting it and causing damage), and he hated it. he wouldn't move when it was on. as soon as i got a retractable lead, he loves going on walks. the advantage is that he can walk/run around as he pleases but when i want him to stop, i just tug him a little and say stop, and he stops and waits for me to walk up to him!
goldie87
goldie87

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Zeus
Dog(s) Ages : 12
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 164

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun May 20 2012, 22:06

I'd stop using a check chain, to be honest, for a couple of reasons. One is that the law says that a dog must have a close fitting collar on when in public & a check chain just doesn't fit the bill. Also, unless used properly & for training only they can cause harm to the dog quite easily. Staffords often don't respond well to check chains anyway.

I'd stick to a flat collar, a half-check collar or a head collar of some sort.

With proper training the dog will soon learn not to pull anyway!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down