She hates her lead

+2
lmjc90
becki2009
6 posters

Go down

Sad She hates her lead

Post by becki2009 Thu May 10 2012, 16:09

We introduced our 8 week old puppy to a collar and lead yesterday..she doesnt mind the collar apart from itching it but she hates the lead.

We needed to put in on her yesterday as we were going to the vets for the first time so i think she may associate it with bad things like the vets. Today i put it on the floor and she was exploring it then i put it on and she was ok about that..then i held the end and she hates it..she tries to escape and backs up...even if i use treats to bring her to me she doesnt respond to.

All i can think to do is put it on her everyday increasing the time etc but is there anything else i can do. She is a confident puppy so i was quite shocked to see her so reserved and scared about it.

We were going to take her in the car but on the lead to see my mum tonight so she doesnt associate the lead with the vets?
becki2009
becki2009
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : sky
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 19

Back to top Go down

Sad Re: She hates her lead

Post by lmjc90 Thu May 10 2012, 16:25

Scarlett did the exact same thing we just had to lift her out the house and reassured her it was ok Smile. the best thing to do is put her lead on and carry her in your jacket and have a good 10 - 20 min walk after that Scarlett was fine Smile
lmjc90
lmjc90
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Scarlett
Dog(s) Ages : 5 months
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 20

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001801581232  More and

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu May 10 2012, 16:36

All dogs do this. Just keep putting it on and let her gt used to it, give her little bits of chicken or something when she is calm, never when she is being afraid. Don't use them as a bribe, only treat correct behaviour.

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Thu May 10 2012, 17:20

i would keep her collar all the time for the time beings and when she knew when lead means walkies she will be fine

Steve
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Male
Support total : 1443

https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by becki2009 Thu May 10 2012, 20:33

she has her collar on full time now.

she is not that botherd about treats..she'd rather back up into a corner than have a treat wether its a treat shes never tried before or something i know she loves. which is making things harder! Sad
becki2009
becki2009

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : sky
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 19

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Thu May 10 2012, 20:34

it take time when you are walking her daily she be fine

Steve

Status Status :

Male
Support total : 1443

https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Marty Thu May 10 2012, 20:42

Let her walk around with the lead attached with no one holding it in the garden for short periods she'll learn the leads not that to cause any harm then start to pick it up and walk her round few mins at a time

Marty

Status Status :

Male
Support total : 9

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu May 10 2012, 20:45

If you clip the lead on indoors & just let her drag it around; play with her while she has it on, but don't pick it up. Once she's totally used to that, you can pick the lead up but don't put any pressure on it at all, just hold it loosely & follow her around, maybe let her take you out into the garden.

Eventually she'll be happy to lead you and you can then give her the tiniest tug on the lead to get her to go the way you want - loads of silly-voice praise or a squeeky toy to get her interested in going the way you want her to.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri May 11 2012, 00:10

Caryll wrote:If you clip the lead on indoors & just let her drag it around; play with her while she has it on, but don't pick it up. Once she's totally used to that, you can pick the lead up but don't put any pressure on it at all, just hold it loosely & follow her around, maybe let her take you out into the garden.

Eventually she'll be happy to lead you and you can then give her the tiniest tug on the lead to get her to go the way you want - loads of silly-voice praise or a squeeky toy to get her interested in going the way you want her to.

That is what we've always done. Suki was like a fish trying to spit a hook out when we first started out

Back to top Go down

Post by goldie87 Fri May 11 2012, 10:30

ive got this same problem with zeus, he hates his lead! good advice caryll, will definatly do that
goldie87
goldie87

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Zeus
Dog(s) Ages : 12
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 164

Back to top Go down

Post by Buster's_Mum Fri May 11 2012, 10:48

All of my dogs must not be normal because I've never had to get them used to a lead. I would clip it on when we were about to go for their first walk and they would start pulling, but as soon as I open the front door and walk out they follow and don't think about the lead again. They were all used to wearing collars before though as I would get them one as soon as they arrived home, I don't know if that would make a difference?
Buster's_Mum
Buster's_Mum
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
She hates her lead Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Buster, LuLu (chinese crested)
Dog(s) Ages : 10 months, 3 1/2 yrs
Dog Gender(s) : Male, Female
Support total : 9

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down