10 week old pup - feeding problems

4 posters

Go down

Crying 10 week old pup - feeding problems

Post by goldie87 Mon Apr 30 2012, 13:01

Hi all
Zeus - my 11 week old staffy has been on royal canin medium jr ever since i got him, this is what the breeder was feeding him. For a week or two now hes not interested in his food, he'll eat dribs and drabs of it but not the whole bowl like he used to. I keep the food down for 15 minutes at a time, I try teasing him into eating the food but again, hes not interested.

What are your thoughts on Royal canin medium jr? Some websites say it is average/medium food, I dont have a budget for food, I just want to feed the best possible dry food that he can have, which will make him look chunky, provide a good coat and give him overall good health and behaviour.

Do you have any recommendations? Also, I have been reading that some people give theyre SBT's scrambled eggs? and fish? Is this safe?

I have seen the following brands which I am thinking of trying, are they any good?
- James Wellbeloved
- Pero (http://www.pero-petfood.co.uk/products/p0027pero-staffordshire-bull-terrier-trial-offer)
- Arden Grange?

Thank you!
goldie87
goldie87
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Zeus
Dog(s) Ages : 12
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 164

Back to top Go down

Crying Re: 10 week old pup - feeding problems

Post by StuW Mon Apr 30 2012, 13:36

I fed my pup on Royal Canin but he wasn't keen on it, then changed him onto James Wellbeloved and eventually onto Fish4Dogs and I would recommend fish4dogs!
StuW
StuW

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Bailey, Sierra
Dog(s) Ages : 8th Sep 2011, 12th Sept 2012
Dog Gender(s) : Male, Female
Support total : 154

Back to top Go down

Post by goldie87 Mon Apr 30 2012, 16:33

thanks stu, i have ordered a sample of fish4dogs to see how he gets on, hopefully it works!
goldie87
goldie87

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by samg Mon Apr 30 2012, 19:24

We had problems with our girl not putting on the weight when she was eating Burns. At 16 wks she was 3.6kg, changed to Arden Grange and shes bulking out better now. At 19 wks she is 5.2kg and no fat. Think it really depends on the dog and what they adhere to. Good luck. Smile
samg
samg
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Delilah
Dog Gender(s) : A Lady
Support total : 3

Back to top Go down

Post by stella Mon Apr 30 2012, 20:24

they go through stages of being fussy with their food some times,all the foods you have listed are good,sasha has royal canin and a sardine added in with it and she loves it,must add she is on the senior one thou!
stella
stella
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : sasha
Dog(s) Ages : 15years RIP
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 1747

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Apr 30 2012, 20:38

All three of the foods you've listed are pretty good, plus fish4dogs is recommended by several people on the forum.

I don't know if the following will help you, but have a quick read....

https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com/t598-dry-food-recommendations

P.S. Welcome to the forum! Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by goldie87 Tue May 01 2012, 12:37

Hi caryll, thanks for your help. after reading through many posts, it seems like you are the person to speak to regarding raw food/bones.
yesterday i mixed in cooked chicken with his royal canin dry food and he gobbled it all down, literally licking the whole bowl. is it ok to mix in cooked meat with his dry? as i've got the understanding that you shouldnt mix in raw meat with his dry as itll mess up his digestive system? would it be beneficial for me to feed him raw meat in the morning, then dry for the other two feeds?
regarding bones, at 11 weeks, is he too young to eat raw bones? which bones do you think are best?
goldie87
goldie87

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue May 01 2012, 13:18

I've never noticed a problem with adding cooked meat to kibble, so i don't see why not.

If you want to test out the raw then by all means give raw in the morning & kibble for the other two. There's no lower limit on bones as long as they are big enough for him not to try swallowing them whole! Chicken wings are a good way to start them off - if you think he'll swallow rather than chew then just keep hold of the end of the wing until he's used to it. Either that, or give him one or two frozen chicken wings - if they're frozen he won't be tempted to just gulp them straight down!

Lamb bones are ok, especially the spines. There's not normally too much on them, but they are fairly soft & easily digestible plus they are usually big enough to encourage gnawing.

Back to top Go down

Post by goldie87 Thu May 03 2012, 15:14

Caryll wrote:I've never noticed a problem with adding cooked meat to kibble, so i don't see why not.

If you want to test out the raw then by all means give raw in the morning & kibble for the other two. There's no lower limit on bones as long as they are big enough for him not to try swallowing them whole! Chicken wings are a good way to start them off - if you think he'll swallow rather than chew then just keep hold of the end of the wing until he's used to it. Either that, or give him one or two frozen chicken wings - if they're frozen he won't be tempted to just gulp them straight down!

Lamb bones are ok, especially the spines. There's not normally too much on them, but they are fairly soft & easily digestible plus they are usually big enough to encourage gnawing.

thats great, thanks caryll. one last question, is it ok to mix in scrambled egg with his kibble? also, i have heard of some people cracking a raw egg ontop of their kibble, is this a good idea? would i still give the shell, as apparantly it provides calcium?
goldie87
goldie87

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down