How to make Tilly more Vocal ??

+2
Kathy
Buster's_Mum
6 posters

Go down

How to make Tilly more Vocal ?? Empty How to make Tilly more Vocal ??

Post by Guest Sun Apr 29 2012, 09:55

Hello everyone , sure a lot of you would like to be able to make your dogs more quiet at times but we have the opposite problem. Apart from the odd excited growl (very unconvincing and unthreatening ) when meeting other dogs when both on leads(never off lead) and falling out with her Boomer ball , Tilly never really makes much noise and sort of wanders about silently (apart from the snoring , farting and belching Laughing ) . Although its nice and peaceful at times , we could really do with making her more vocal at toilet times etc.
Although we have only had 1 or 2 accidents from her since she was toilet trained or if she has vomited from feeling a little off colour, she never issues a warning cry or tries to get your attention. She would literally jump off the bed in the middle of the night and stand at the door expecting us to have automatically woken up and let her out , sometimes more often than not me or my OH do wake up and let her out but on them odd occasions where we haven't heard her and she couldn't wait any longer Sad So in short I want to teach hger to cry , bark , paw my face whatever to let her out , any ideas ????

Back to top Go down

How to make Tilly more Vocal ?? Empty Re: How to make Tilly more Vocal ??

Post by Guest Sun Apr 29 2012, 10:01

No idea at all Billy is exactly the same, in fact he got into our spare room and the door closed behind him and he would not get out we found him 2 hours later he did not make a sound when he was locked in

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 29 2012, 10:03

Could you teach her to give you a paw or speak when she is at the door and maybe she will associate that with going to toilet? I really have no idea, sorry. I'm just glad that Bella is mostly quiet because Millie is very vocal. It's trying to get Millie to be quiet thats the problem Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by Buster's_Mum Sun Apr 29 2012, 10:10

Buster doesn't make much noise unless he is playing, he doesn't even bark if someone knocks at the door or comes in! We have taught him to jump up at the door when he wants to go out. I started by standing at a gate in the park that we normally go through and kept touching the top of it and saying up untill he jumped up it, then I gave him a treat. Then when he got home I took him by the door, told him up, and when he did it I gave him a treat and let him out (he loves going outside) he soon realised that if he jumps up the door we will let him out. There might be an easier way to teach them, but this worked well and very quickly for us Smile
Buster's_Mum
Buster's_Mum
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
How to make Tilly more Vocal ?? Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Buster, LuLu (chinese crested)
Dog(s) Ages : 10 months, 3 1/2 yrs
Dog Gender(s) : Male, Female
Support total : 9

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 29 2012, 10:16

lynne wrote:No idea at all Billy is exactly the same, in fact he got into our spare room and the door closed behind him and he would not get out we found him 2 hours later he did not make a sound when he was locked in

We often have exactly the same problem as she spends most of the days when I am at home with me in her bed under my desk in the office so she goes wandering in there looking for me and nobody realises or she's maybe decided to go to bed and sulk Sad . When we find her in there we just get the big sad "how could you eyes"

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Sun Apr 29 2012, 10:16

I know they say " be careful what you wish for" make the most of the silence while it last. Maybe Tilly will get more vocal as she gets older.

Is she quiet when she plays tug or any other games with you?? Is she quiet when out on walks or is this just at home??
Kathy
Kathy
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 29 2012, 10:17

Buster's_Mum wrote:Buster doesn't make much noise unless he is playing, he doesn't even bark if someone knocks at the door or comes in! We have taught him to jump up at the door when he wants to go out. I started by standing at a gate in the park that we normally go through and kept touching the top of it and saying up untill he jumped up it, then I gave him a treat. Then when he got home I took him by the door, told him up, and when he did it I gave him a treat and let him out (he loves going outside) he soon realised that if he jumps up the door we will let him out. There might be an easier way to teach them, but this worked well and very quickly for us Smile

Sounds like a promising idea thinking

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 29 2012, 10:21

kathytake2 wrote:I know they say " be careful what you wish for" make the most of the silence while it last. Maybe Tilly will get more vocal as she gets older.

Is she quiet when she plays tug or any other games with you?? Is she quiet when out on walks or is this just at home??

She gets more "boundy and rough" excited during gameplay than noisey though on odd occasions if she thinks she's been tricked (pretend to throw the ball one way and do it the other etc) then it turns into a growly "barky" game (I use "" as she has certainly not got a strong bark

Back to top Go down

Post by *Karen* Sun Apr 29 2012, 10:30

I know how you feel, Mia never barks never makes a sound!!

She may growl playfully when she is really wound up but apart from that she is silent!!

Not too fussed by it but it would be nice to hear her bark sometimes like you say, if she wants to go out etc
*Karen*
*Karen*

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Mia
Dog(s) Ages : 13 July 2011
Dog Gender(s) : Lady
Support total : 45

Back to top Go down

Post by jshrew Sun Apr 29 2012, 11:33

Ledger isn't very vocal except when he was sick he would stand at the door and whine. In general he just stands and tilts his head giving me a 'look' guess he has trained me cause if I then say 'you want to go toilet' he gets all excited and runs to the door however if I haven't noticed him giving 'the look' he will climb on me and put his bits near my face!
jshrew
jshrew
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Moderator
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Moderator

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Ledger and Maple
Dog(s) Ages : 7 and 2
Dog Gender(s) : Male and Female
Support total : 209

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 29 2012, 14:18

Most books say staffs are very vocal at all so i have no idea how to make her so. The way i taught my lab to bark on command was to get his fave toy and hold it until he barked then reward, but i don't see this working on a staff tbh.

Be interesting if anyone can come up with a good idea though

Back to top Go down

Post by kaztaz Sun Apr 29 2012, 19:23

i trained troy the talk command (me making loads of barking noseys till be barked)and gave him a treat ever time with loads of good boys and fuss then ever time he went by the back door i would do the command he soon worked out barking gets the door open lol
kaztaz
kaztaz

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : troy
Dog(s) Ages : 12 months
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 38

Back to top Go down

Post by Gazagem Sun Apr 29 2012, 19:44

Skye does make a noise when she wants out but I taught her to speak by holing a treat in my hand and just let her smell it it took a while but as soon as she made a noise she got the treat each time she made a noise quicker
Buster on the other hand is a noisy little boy it's trying to get him quiet lol
Gazagem
Gazagem

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Skye
Dog(s) Ages : 4
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 146

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down