List of things to help homeless and problem dogs?

+5
Passey83
*Karen*
Ben
stella
Steve
9 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

List of things to help homeless and problem dogs? - Page 2 Empty List of things to help homeless and problem dogs?

Post by Steve Wed Apr 25 2012, 16:35

First topic message reminder :

Let make a realistic list of things that will fix our problem.

Thing that will work list:-

1. Take down all websites that are selling dogs and puppies.
    Websites like gumtree, pets 4 home and so on are a breeding ground for back yard breeders so taking them from the internet and any others that will pop up.

2. Tougher on owners
    If anybody make their dogs into a weapon they should face charges like you would with guns & knifes crime.

3. If Your dog kills a person on your property or in the public domain you should face a tough punishment.
    Depending on what happened. You should always be responsible for your dogs actions. If you have a dog that doesn't like other people you have to have it under control at all times even if you're not there.

4. Dog abusers or owners of a dog that has attacked someone should have a life ban
    Any animal abuser or if your a owner of a dog that as bitten someone then you clearly don't deserve a dog or animal you should be have a life ban.

5. Rescue Reform
    If a good owner comes forward to offer a home to a dog they should be able to get one after vetting.

6. Schools & Youth Clubs to teach basic animal care
    Schools and youth clubs leaders should teach the basic of care and control of all animals.

7. Removing dogs from bad environments.
    Families who cant care for and control their dogs should lose them, teenagers who repeatedly walk around the streets with a dog and they are guilty of using the dog to scare people the dog should be taken off them, drug dealers, etc.

8. Problem kids/adults volunteers at dog rescue centers.
    Anybody with a problem background should be sent to do some volunteer work in animal rescue center.

9. Dogs must be on a leash while walking on streets
    If your dog is off the leash you could be fined or if you are a repeat offender you dog could be taken away

10. Prison dog training scheme
    When a prisoner is deemed to be correct for it, they qualify to help train dogs. Abandoned/Seized Dogs come in from local rescue centers and the prisoners get to spend time with them helping with their training. This is obviously supervised by the prison guards and professional dog trainers, however it has had good results in the US. It helps to rehabilitate the prisoner as well as the dogs. For more information what going off in the American http://www.dc.state.fl.us/apps/utopia/learn.html

Maybe List:-
  1. Rewards to people who report abuse.
  2. Make breeders responsible for the pups they have bred for their whole lifetime.
  3. Laws for all pups to be health tested
  4. Dogs that get out and get picked up by wardens should be neutered and spaded straight away
  5. An age limit for owners eg, 25 or over

Last edited by Steve on Sat Oct 27 2012, 13:15; edited 41 times in total

Steve
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Male
Support total : 1443

https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com

Back to top Go down

List of things to help homeless and problem dogs? - Page 2 Empty Re: List of things to help homeless and problem dogs?

Post by Steve Thu Apr 26 2012, 19:32

the maybe list can change and debated lol that why i haven't move them to the proper list yet

Last edited by Steve on Thu Apr 26 2012, 19:37; edited 1 time in total

Steve

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

List of things to help homeless and problem dogs? - Page 2 Empty Re: List of things to help homeless and problem dogs?

Post by Guest Thu Apr 26 2012, 19:34

Steve wrote:people are getting reject for silly things. like not having a garden or having kids and so on i think they can do better, the kid rule is stupid if they are good enough they should have a dog.

Agreed , they have to have rules etc, but strict rules don't always fit the circumstances. but maybe under these circumstances if the dog seems happy to go then they should appoint a doggie care worker so the animal is monitored for a few weeks sort of like on approval, with a legal right to get back, and then after the trial period an official adoption could take place. But it would have to be based on case by case

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 26 2012, 19:37

I really like point 10 as well , and agree 100% with the thought and motivation behind it , if it can turn a life round for both of them it can't be a bad thing

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 26 2012, 20:10

I don't agree on the age one, i got lexi at 17 and i think all in all i have been a pretty decent owner! I'm not a chav or thug, quite the opposite, and i worked since i was 15 with dogs so age can't be the only indicator of a chav or thug..

I do have to say though and sorry for any offence to anyone, it is people in estates that are generally the chavvy thug ones who want these status dogs..so maybe a ban on owning a dog in an urban area under the age of 21?

I just think the age wouldnt work anywhere else as sheep farmers literally need their dogs and work with them from the age they can walk

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 26 2012, 20:46

I'm 22, I was 21 when I got Saxon. There are responsible and irresponsible people of all ages.

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Thu Apr 26 2012, 20:48

it would be very unlikey to be enforceble but it would be a using tool for police to remove a dog off a chav, thug or wananbe making trouble with their dogs

Steve

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Thu Apr 26 2012, 20:51

but saying that the Removing dogs from bad environments would do the samething.

Steve

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 26 2012, 20:53

Equi wrote:I don't agree on the age one, i got lexi at 17 and i think all in all i have been a pretty decent owner! I'm not a chav or thug, quite the opposite, and i worked since i was 15 with dogs so age can't be the only indicator of a chav or thug..

I do have to say though and sorry for any offence to anyone, it is people in estates that are generally the chavvy thug ones who want these status dogs..so maybe a ban on owning a dog in an urban area under the age of 21?

I just think the age wouldnt work anywhere else as sheep farmers literally need their dogs and work with them from the age they can walk

Sorry but I 100% don't agree with that one at all , it's out of order to say that about the urban areas and that would really p*** joe public off. I agree as a cliche the council estate kids get up to no good . But I grew up on a council estate and not a chav (I don't think they actually existed though when I was a kid Laughing ) and I live on a nice private estate now where we have lots of kid trouble, and I know from the small village I used to live in that the farmers kids can cause a lot of trouble when they want too (have you never seen Emmerdale Smile ) I think the key to young owners is a responsible adult to back them up.
If I was desparate for a dog at 15 or 16 yrs old and couldn't have one because I live in an "Urban area" though by your comments I think you would happily narrow this down to "council estate" if you could get away with it, then I would be 1 unhappy child.
Remember for every bad kid on an estate there are probably another 5 good kids , rant over but sorry that really struck a note with me Straight Face

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Thu Apr 26 2012, 21:00

here is 1 to 3 maybe 1 to 2 where i live i walk down a road the other and i heard 10/11 year old saying "get me" I dont want to s in the get me, get me crew so young I dont want to s

Steve

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 26 2012, 21:02

But it is true. Farmers dont have status dogs -shrug- i agree they cause trouble too, all kids do...but the fact is that most "status" dogs are owned by people who are in gangs in the cities and in council estates. That is not me saying that everyone in a council estate is trash because that would mean my whole family is trash, which is not true and pretty much everyone i know lives in an estate so don't take it that i mean it that way. I mean in a purely factual and statistical way that status dogs belong to people in these areas..

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 26 2012, 21:11

Equi wrote:But it is true. Farmers dont have status dogs -shrug- i agree they cause trouble too, all kids do...but the fact is that most "status" dogs are owned by people who are in gangs in the cities and in council estates. That is not me saying that everyone in a council estate is trash because that would mean my whole family is trash, which is not true and pretty much everyone i know lives in an estate so don't take it that i mean it that way. I mean in a purely factual and statistical way that status dogs belong to people in these areas..

So the answer is to root them out and not punish everyone around them, I agree Farmers don't have status dogs much too hard and plain thinking to even contemplate anything that doesn't help toward the bills (we have several farmers in our family) We cannot as a society take the line that if you are Urban then there is a high chance you will be a chav therefore you can't have a dog. Maybe they can have a chav test and if found guilty we take their status dogs away and sentance them to 6 weeks of babysitting a handbag dog , that'll make them think twice Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 26 2012, 21:15

Well whatever they're doing now isn't working. Chavs dont come from the country side, theres no other way to say it. I was just adding a suggestion, no need to jump down me throat. A hypothetical suggestion at that, as none of this will actually be getting put into place.

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Thu Apr 26 2012, 21:16

calm down calm down you two Tongues

Steve

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Thu Apr 26 2012, 21:18

Equi wrote:Well whatever they're doing now isn't working. Chavs dont come from the country side, theres no other way to say it. I was just adding a suggestion, no need to jump down me throat. A hypothetical suggestion at that, as none of this will actually be getting put into place.

you dont know.... we may have mps on here or we could send also send it to a mp or someone

Steve

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 26 2012, 21:21

Steve wrote:
Equi wrote:Well whatever they're doing now isn't working. Chavs dont come from the country side, theres no other way to say it. I was just adding a suggestion, no need to jump down me throat. A hypothetical suggestion at that, as none of this will actually be getting put into place.

you dont know.... we may have mps on here or we could send also send it to a mp or someone

pah! They're too busy discussing how much they can get away with rising their paychecks this year to worry about the little ants that have to do what they say or get a fine. i think they actually make the law so ridiculous so people just think ah to hell with it im not doing that and then they DO get a fine which the government then use for their pay checks.

God im so cynical, i'm like an old man with grapes on my bottom.

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Thu Apr 26 2012, 21:24

We can try if's nothing happen nothing happen it been fun doing it Smile atleast we will have common sense Big Grin

Steve

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Thu Apr 26 2012, 21:27

the title going to be our 24 steps to cure our dog problem

does that sound good?

Steve

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 26 2012, 21:34

Hmmm, my immediate thought was "98 problems but a * aint one!" so maybe a different name steve lol

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Thu Apr 26 2012, 21:35

depend how many thing we can think of but i thought 24 thing sound good Laughing

Steve

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Thu Apr 26 2012, 21:43

come on hayley get your thinking hat on, we want realistic idea and ont need huge amolunt of money to enforce

Steve

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Passey83 Fri Apr 27 2012, 08:46

Just a quick note the phrase "CHAV". This is a very discriminatory term meaning Council Housed And Violent, now i get that it has become a very easy term to use when describing the young louts you see on the streets, however this is a very stereotypical view.
I grew up in council housing, originally on a typical estate in London, and then a nice village in the fens. I'm not violent and i'm not a thug. I'm well educated and have made something of my life, as have all of my brothers and sisters. I own a very lovely dog who everyone adores, he happens to be a Staffordshire Bull Terrier.

I'm used to being looked down on because of my council upbringing and now i get looked down on because of the dog i own, i'm used to it. However i did not think that i would see this level of stereotypical generalisation on a Staffordshire Bull Terrier forum.

In response to the point that "Chavs" don't come from the countryside, what a load of BS!!! As much as I hate the term "chav", there are plenty of these types in The Fens, and you don't get much more countryside than The Fens

Following on from steve said about taking this to an MP, i think that is FANTASTIC idea. In fact i would also like to send it to all local and national newspapers, the BBC, everyone! If it doesn't work, it doesn't work. But at least we can all say we tried to make a difference!
Passey83
Passey83
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Leo
Dog(s) Ages : 1
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 6

Back to top Go down

Post by *Karen* Fri Apr 27 2012, 08:55

I think we need to get something formal written up, sent off to all local papers, gm tv etc and hopefully house of commons!!

Maybe we should now take a vote on which of the suggestions we all agree could work, once we're agreed as a forum we can send out the suggestions and get vocal

I'd love to see our ideas come from us, the staffy owners and not anyone else, makes us look good!!
*Karen*
*Karen*

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Mia
Dog(s) Ages : 13 July 2011
Dog Gender(s) : Lady
Support total : 45

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Fri Apr 27 2012, 10:12

sound like plan to me karen Smile

Steve

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Passey83 Fri Apr 27 2012, 13:59

Does anyone have any contact with any other dog forums? Ideally Rottweiler, GSD, Pitbull etc.? I'm sure we would be able to gain their ideas and support with this?
Passey83
Passey83

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Fri Apr 27 2012, 14:00

great idea thumbs up we do that tonight

Steve

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Apr 27 2012, 15:37

Passey83 wrote:

Just because one person who lives in a place is good doesnt mead they all are, which is exactly the same argument i keep getting, only reversed. I live in the country and everyone calls me a farmer and says all i care about is money and i don't care about animals and make cracks about me having a staff saying "oh you must catch some nice badgers with that one!"

There are stereotypes everywhere. I don't get angry when people do it to me, it is a way of describing. I am describing the anti-social louts that use this breed and others as status dogs as chavs that doesn't mean i think everyone in a council estate is a chav. So again, stop jumping down my throat and actually read what i have said.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Apr 27 2012, 15:40

It would be great if we could get some social media things. Like have someone who is really good at writing send all the papers and mags OUR side of the story instead of them all having stories about devil dogs and everyone who has a dog like this being a to use my own words, anti-social lout. Because they are associated with people like that and its just not true.

Whos a good writer?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Apr 27 2012, 15:45

It would also be great if someone who was a good trainer could do like...displays? Displays of how intelligent staffies can be and how willing they are to please. The agility at crufts was lovely to see but not many people watch that. Someone needs to do a youtube channel on it lol and send it viral

Back to top Go down

Post by Passey83 Fri Apr 27 2012, 16:11

Equi/Hayley,

I would like to apologies for my rant earlier, was having bad morning and incorrectly vented on here.

Back to the topic at hand, I'm "okay" at writing, I would happily draft something up and allow people on here to critique/improve it.

I think joining forces with other breeds that get bad press would raise our numbers, and the awareness, significantly.

Does anyone on here know anyone at the East Anglian SBT Club? They are the team that put on the agility display at Crufts. I'm sure they would be willing to help.

I'm also sure we would be able to get support from respected celebrities such as Dame Helen Mirren and Paul O'Grady (both have spoke up in defence of Staffords in the past)
Passey83
Passey83

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Apr 27 2012, 16:18

It would be great to get that team on board. Definitely draft something up coming from the point of view that us as bully owners are sick of the devil dog stories and the same picture of one snarling dog being shown and how this is not representative of the breed at all and that they are loyal loving and totally trainable.

It would be great to have quotes from teh GSD and rottie people too so that can be incorporated into it x

Back to top Go down

Post by Passey83 Mon Apr 30 2012, 13:06

Steve, did you manage to make contact with any other forums regarding our ideas?
Passey83
Passey83

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by *Karen* Tue May 01 2012, 14:51

Come on Steve you look all talk and no action at the mo
*Karen*
*Karen*

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Tue May 01 2012, 14:55

Laughing karen Laughing

i went onto some facebook pages got no feedback at all and these had like 20,000 members on doh

i will join some forum tonight

Last edited by Steve on Tue May 01 2012, 15:31; edited 1 time in total

Steve

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by *Karen* Tue May 01 2012, 15:11

Ha ha, to be honest, I think we just need to get it out there, if we had something standard we could send it out to local papers etc and maybe start a petition for it?
*Karen*
*Karen*

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Tue May 01 2012, 15:34

we need to sent it to DEFRA they having discussing at the monet about bring some new dog laws out or something like that

Steve

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Tue May 01 2012, 15:35

http://www.defra.gov.uk/consult/2012/04/23/dangerous-dogs-1204/

Steve

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Tue May 01 2012, 15:36

animalwelfare.consultations@defra.gsi.gov.uk

is the email address thinking who going to type a email

Steve

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by *Karen* Tue May 01 2012, 15:39

Well if u want it done properly better get a woman to do it ...
*Karen*
*Karen*

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Tue May 01 2012, 15:40

Laughing

Steve

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by *Karen* Tue May 01 2012, 15:44

I could do maybe tonight/tomorrow... I'm kind of supposed to be working at the mo
*Karen*
*Karen*

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Tue May 01 2012, 15:46

Any comments on the proposals in this consultation document should be sent by 15 June 2012.

we get time Smile

Steve

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by *Karen* Tue May 01 2012, 15:48

Do u wanna c it before it goes? Lol guess it depends what other exciting things you might be up to!
*Karen*
*Karen*

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Tue May 01 2012, 15:51

type it here and other member may add something to it Smile

Steve

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by oldsalt Fri May 04 2012, 09:37

Licence people and not dogs.

A person should apply to have a pet licence, sit an exam for the particular pet care, an authorised person checks the intended home to ensure there is shelter/fencing and fit for an animal as many ain't!

Naturally, all of the above is paid for by the licence fees.
oldsalt
oldsalt
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Angus McTavish
Dog(s) Ages : 2,5
Support total : 2

http://www.tri-service.org

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Thu May 10 2012, 14:58

liscences didn't work in the uk that why we got rid of it

Steve

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu May 10 2012, 15:06

Our licence fee went up to £12.50 this year haha. and you have to have chipped to renew the licence or you get £250 fine

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Thu May 10 2012, 15:20

where the money coming to enforce this I dont want to s glad we dont have silly licence in england

Steve

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu May 10 2012, 16:15

the councils have your addy and send you out letters and if you havent paid it they fine you, noone actually enforces the "if you havent bought one" part

Back to top Go down

Post by lmjc90 Thu May 10 2012, 16:23

iam 22 and i know how to train my dog, i was 20 when i got my lab. its common sense to be honest. there are people under 25 who can and will train a dog. also give them a loving home Smile
lmjc90
lmjc90
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Scarlett
Dog(s) Ages : 5 months
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 20

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001801581232  More and

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu May 10 2012, 18:20

I thought your lab was put down cause of agro?

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next