List of things to help homeless and problem dogs?

+5
Passey83
*Karen*
Ben
stella
Steve
9 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

List of things to help homeless and problem dogs? Empty List of things to help homeless and problem dogs?

Post by Steve Wed Apr 25 2012, 16:35

Let make a realistic list of things that will fix our problem.

Thing that will work list:-

1. Take down all websites that are selling dogs and puppies.
    Websites like gumtree, pets 4 home and so on are a breeding ground for back yard breeders so taking them from the internet and any others that will pop up.

2. Tougher on owners
    If anybody make their dogs into a weapon they should face charges like you would with guns & knifes crime.

3. If Your dog kills a person on your property or in the public domain you should face a tough punishment.
    Depending on what happened. You should always be responsible for your dogs actions. If you have a dog that doesn't like other people you have to have it under control at all times even if you're not there.

4. Dog abusers or owners of a dog that has attacked someone should have a life ban
    Any animal abuser or if your a owner of a dog that as bitten someone then you clearly don't deserve a dog or animal you should be have a life ban.

5. Rescue Reform
    If a good owner comes forward to offer a home to a dog they should be able to get one after vetting.

6. Schools & Youth Clubs to teach basic animal care
    Schools and youth clubs leaders should teach the basic of care and control of all animals.

7. Removing dogs from bad environments.
    Families who cant care for and control their dogs should lose them, teenagers who repeatedly walk around the streets with a dog and they are guilty of using the dog to scare people the dog should be taken off them, drug dealers, etc.

8. Problem kids/adults volunteers at dog rescue centers.
    Anybody with a problem background should be sent to do some volunteer work in animal rescue center.

9. Dogs must be on a leash while walking on streets
    If your dog is off the leash you could be fined or if you are a repeat offender you dog could be taken away

10. Prison dog training scheme
    When a prisoner is deemed to be correct for it, they qualify to help train dogs. Abandoned/Seized Dogs come in from local rescue centers and the prisoners get to spend time with them helping with their training. This is obviously supervised by the prison guards and professional dog trainers, however it has had good results in the US. It helps to rehabilitate the prisoner as well as the dogs. For more information what going off in the American http://www.dc.state.fl.us/apps/utopia/learn.html

Maybe List:-
  1. Rewards to people who report abuse.
  2. Make breeders responsible for the pups they have bred for their whole lifetime.
  3. Laws for all pups to be health tested
  4. Dogs that get out and get picked up by wardens should be neutered and spaded straight away
  5. An age limit for owners eg, 25 or over

Last edited by Steve on Sat Oct 27 2012, 13:15; edited 41 times in total

Steve
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Male
Support total : 1443

https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com

Back to top Go down

List of things to help homeless and problem dogs? Empty Re: List of things to help homeless and problem dogs?

Post by Steve Wed Apr 25 2012, 16:42

rewards for reporting dog abuse?

Steve

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

List of things to help homeless and problem dogs? Empty Re: List of things to help homeless and problem dogs?

Post by Steve Wed Apr 25 2012, 16:45

removing any dog from drug dealer or problem family homes?

Steve

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 25 2012, 17:05

Do you think that legitimate, responsible breeders' websites should be blocked, as well, or only BYB's sites? I agree with your other points, but I'm a bit iffy on the website one. Perhaps more restrictions on breeding websites.

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Wed Apr 25 2012, 17:07

kids that get in trouble should be made to volunteer at dog rescue centre?

Steve

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Wed Apr 25 2012, 17:09

CatStina wrote:Do you think that legitimate, responsible breeders' websites should be blocked, as well, or only BYB's sites? I agree with your other points, but I'm a bit iffy on the website one. Perhaps more restrictions on breeding websites.

websites like gumtree , pets 4 home and so on

Steve

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Wed Apr 25 2012, 21:35

come on surlye we can think of more....

Steve

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 25 2012, 21:41

CatStina wrote:Do you think that legitimate, responsible breeders' websites should be blocked, as well, or only BYB's sites? I agree with your other points, but I'm a bit iffy on the website one. Perhaps more restrictions on breeding websites.

I think a breeder should be able to advertise pups on their own websites, not on places such as gum tree etc.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 25 2012, 21:43

Make breeders responsible for the pups they have bred for their whole lifetime - ie if they are abandoned or if the new owner can't cope etc the breeder should take the pup/dog back & either care for it themselves or find a good new home.

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Wed Apr 25 2012, 21:46

i agree mrs caryll but thing that is enforceable

Steve

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 25 2012, 21:52

The only way you could make it enforceable is by a legally binding clause in a breeder's licence, plus a puppy contract with the new owners.

Although I don't think that licencing in general is a good idea, I do think that breeders should be licenced - anyone who owns more than one intact female should apply for a licence & shold be inspected annually.

Back to top Go down

Post by stella Wed Apr 25 2012, 21:52

make sure people that are took to court and found guilty of animal abuse are given a life ban on keeping dogs/animals not just a 5-10 year ban,these sort of people cant be trusted and dont deserve the love of a dog/animal.
stella
stella
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : sasha
Dog(s) Ages : 15years RIP
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 1747

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 25 2012, 21:53

stella wrote:make sure people that are took to court and found guilty of animal abuse are given a life ban on keeping dogs/animals not just a 5-10 year ban,these sort of people cant be trusted and dont deserve the love of a dog/animal.

thumbs up

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Wed Apr 25 2012, 21:53

it just enforcing it that would be a problem with us in cutting back mode i dont think we could afford it..

Steve

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Wed Apr 25 2012, 21:55

stella wrote:make sure people that are took to court and found guilty of animal abuse are given a life ban on keeping dogs/animals not just a 5-10 year ban,these sort of people cant be trusted and dont deserve the love of a dog/animal.

added to the list

Steve

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 26 2012, 00:25

make it law that all pups sold are health checked for all breed specific conditions.
no checks no money.

shelter re homing procedures need to be reformed as a lot of good owners could not re-home for the daftest of reasons

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Thu Apr 26 2012, 04:36

Require a licence to be a breeder that can register with the kennel club - to obtain a licence there should be courses taken and tests passed to make sure that the potential breeder understands the responsibility and issues that are involved in breeding dogs. This should include proper health screening, puppy care, maternity care for bitches as well as a basic financial responsibility of the breeder. Other professions require certifications, why not dog breeding?
Ben
Ben

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Frosty, Piglette
Dog(s) Ages : 3, 5
Dog Gender(s) : Male, Female
Support total : 325

Back to top Go down

Post by *Karen* Thu Apr 26 2012, 06:03

I like the suggested ideas about the breeders, but I'm not sure about the one for rewarding the reporting of abuse.

In theory it's good but when most reported cases do not even get followed up, I don't think there's resources available to then go around rewarding us, for me it would be reward enough just knowing that the abuse was going to stop.
*Karen*
*Karen*

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Mia
Dog(s) Ages : 13 July 2011
Dog Gender(s) : Lady
Support total : 45

Back to top Go down

Post by *Karen* Thu Apr 26 2012, 06:06

I know that most secondary schools now have a class called "citizenship" - which are basically lessons about ethics and society and how to be a good citizen.

I think we need to get some basic animal care and ethics put on that agenda, for example, you could teach the difference about back yard breeders and good breeders, you could also do school trips to rescue centres to show them the effects of over breeding etc.

We need to start educating the next generation!!
*Karen*
*Karen*

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Mia
Dog(s) Ages : 13 July 2011
Dog Gender(s) : Lady
Support total : 45

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Thu Apr 26 2012, 09:00

sound good to me karen thumbs up keep them coming

Steve

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 26 2012, 09:04

shot all cruel people, sorry, but aint got time for them.

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Thu Apr 26 2012, 09:06

Laughing i cant put that on our list Tongues we would have to get out of the human right act first

Steve

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 26 2012, 09:08

Laughing

good one though

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 26 2012, 09:10

Right, ok my last post was a bit extreme, heres my idea. I used to work at a youth club, and there was a programme we used to take groups to. It was called Western Spirit, Simon western was the founder. It teaches young people about the concequeses of your actions ( cant spell ). It was a real clever programme and did make a differance.

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Thu Apr 26 2012, 09:13

i will add that to school Smile

Steve

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 26 2012, 09:24

thank you

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Thu Apr 26 2012, 12:48

what about if your dog get out and get pick up by a warden he/she will get neutered and spade well if thye not already?

Steve

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 26 2012, 12:53

steve i was just going to say that one Big Grin true if a dog or bitch can get out what to say there not going to or get anther dog pregnant adding to the overbreeding of pups and pups in rescues /shelters

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Thu Apr 26 2012, 12:54

it may make owner be more careful with hteir dogs if they dont want them to get neutered and spade..

Steve

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 26 2012, 12:58

thumbs up

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Thu Apr 26 2012, 13:01

these should be easy to enforce and it wont cost billions to get sorted >Smile i think we still could do more

Steve

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Thu Apr 26 2012, 13:09

thinking what about dog shouldnt be allow in the front garden without nobody there?

Steve

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 26 2012, 14:27

that all depends if front garden suitable fenced off and cant be opened to easy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 26 2012, 15:48

Steve wrote: thinking what about dog shouldnt be allow in the front garden without nobody there?

how would that get policed

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Thu Apr 26 2012, 15:50

it be hard to police but wardens drive around they will see them

Steve

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 26 2012, 15:50

nobody under 25 year should own a dog,

there are far too many teenagers hanging round with their "Pit bull/ Staffies" not training them at all and they think they are so cool.

I even met one and he said he got his puppy cause he swopped it for and ipod,
Surprised

Back to top Go down

Post by Passey83 Thu Apr 26 2012, 16:04

I think we should try and do something like they are doing in various states in America.

Use dogs to try and help prisoners. They do it in quite a few prisons now, and it seems to work.

When a prisoner is deemed to be correct for it, they qualify to help train dogs. Abandoned/Seized Dogs come in from local rescue centres and the prisoners get to spend time with them helping with their training. This is obviously supervised by the prison guards and professional dog trainers, however it has had good results in the US. It helps to rehabilitate the prisoner as well as the dogs.

One prime example is the programme on Animal Planet "Pitbulls and Parolees", that has become quite commercial now though!

Passey83
Passey83
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Leo
Dog(s) Ages : 1
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 6

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Thu Apr 26 2012, 16:05

good idea...

Steve

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Thu Apr 26 2012, 16:06

prison dog trainning scheme.

Steve

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 26 2012, 16:23

dont like the rescue one....rescue centres main aim is to rehome dogs with suitable owners....forever. Not get them returned in a few months. Sorry to those who want to rescue and cant because of thier rules but the rules are all there in the best interests of the dogs. You cant knock the rescues they are the only ones actually mopping up the mess of all the breeding and people not being responsible....i would really like that one taken off.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 26 2012, 16:45

I like the prison dog training scheme, it works well in america! But it is usually for dogs for a specific thing.

I totally agree on the abuse thing, they should immediately get a lifetime ban on ANY animal. This should be enforced by surprise inspections once a year say, and any animal they have in their care taken right then an there no matter who they say it belongs to.

Also i think anyone with a sevre criminal record such as knife or gun crime or serious drugs crimes or violence should not be allowed to own a dog and possibly other animals too.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 26 2012, 16:48

blaze wrote:dont like the rescue one....rescue centres main aim is to rehome dogs with suitable owners....forever. Not get them returned in a few months. Sorry to those who want to rescue and cant because of thier rules but the rules are all there in the best interests of the dogs. You cant knock the rescues they are the only ones actually mopping up the mess of all the breeding and people not being responsible....i would really like that one taken off.

I agree with this but the rules are very tight. They will only rehome if you have a garden and will be home a lot, what about say a chihuahua that is perfectly suitable to stay in an apartment? They won't let it because of their rules...the other thing is cats, i can't rescue a cat because they won't allow me to have one outside unless its a yard cat that they have taken from a farm and they are usually wild as crows. So i have to get kittens or a cat someone is giving away which i dont like doing because cats shoudlnt be breeding left right and center, but cause of rescue rules i cant rescue

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Thu Apr 26 2012, 17:33

blaze wrote:dont like the rescue one....rescue centres main aim is to rehome dogs with suitable owners....forever. Not get them returned in a few months. Sorry to those who want to rescue and cant because of thier rules but the rules are all there in the best interests of the dogs. You cant knock the rescues they are the only ones actually mopping up the mess of all the breeding and people not being responsible....i would really like that one taken off.

I'm sure shon look into rescuing a dog but after looking at the rules and she wasn't allow becasue she had kids, i think rescue could do alot better.

Steve

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 26 2012, 18:33

I agree with pretty much all of them. Though I do think that most rescues try their hardest to find good homes for dogs, there are a few that could use some reform.

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Thu Apr 26 2012, 18:38

people are getting reject for silly things. like not having a garden or having kids and so on i think they can do better, the kid rule is stupid if they are good enough they should have a dog.

Steve

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Buster's_Mum Thu Apr 26 2012, 18:42

They are all good, apart from the underv25's one. I know alot of young people have them as status dogs in some places, but I do also know quite a few under 25's with dogs that care for them well and do dog training, agility, etc with them. It feels like we would be punishing them because of the bad owners, which is what we want to stop.
Buster's_Mum
Buster's_Mum
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
List of things to help homeless and problem dogs? Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Buster, LuLu (chinese crested)
Dog(s) Ages : 10 months, 3 1/2 yrs
Support total : 9

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Thu Apr 26 2012, 18:59

it's on the maybe list we could under the age Smile maybe 20/21?

Steve

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Buster's_Mum Thu Apr 26 2012, 19:15

Steve wrote:it's on the maybe list we could under the age Smile maybe 20/21?

One girl I know does agility with her dogs and is very good with them. She has not that long left school, and has been trainng them for a few years, although I think she started with her parents dogs, but she now has her own. Also when we were younger my auntie had her own dog (she is the same age as me, I think we wouldve been 10 ish) and she used to do alot of training with them.

And what is to stop someone under that age having a dog, but saying it is their parents and they are walking it? There would be no way of policing it I don't think. Maybe make all under 25's have to attend training classes, but again how would it be policed?
Buster's_Mum
Buster's_Mum
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
List of things to help homeless and problem dogs? Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Buster, LuLu (chinese crested)
Dog(s) Ages : 10 months, 3 1/2 yrs
Support total : 9

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Thu Apr 26 2012, 19:17

it be hard to police anything but setting a age limit would help the police to remove a dogs from a chav,thug and so on

Steve

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 26 2012, 19:29

Caryll wrote:The only way you could make it enforceable is by a legally binding clause in a breeder's licence, plus a puppy contract with the new owners.

Although I don't think that licencing in general is a good idea, I do think that breeders should be licenced - anyone who owns more than one intact female should apply for a licence & shold be inspected annually.

I definitely agree with the breeders licence , but do you then enforce fines etc for BYB or is it just a sign that the breeder is reputable ??

Don't like point 4 of the Maybes, it would be valid to do but instantly is a bit harsh, it could be a totally innocent reason like the lead broke , an accident or whatever so this would only be fair after say 2 or 3 days, if a responsible owner hadn't located their dog by then they obviously don't want to or can't , but it is a good argument for microchip or tattoo.

And the age limit on owners is way too high , though they could do something like if you are under a certain age (18 ??) then a responsible adult over the age of 25 for example has to countersign responsibility, bit sort of like the rules for learner drivers ??

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next