+2
*Karen*
mika24
6 posters

Go down

Loss of hind leg control Empty Loss of hind leg control

Post by mika24 Mon Apr 23 2012, 04:56

Hello, this is my first post and I'm hoping someone can help me

My gorgeous staffie is 12 years old and hasn't ever had any real health problems (apart from a touch of arthritis in the cold). He's very fit and still quite muscular, with a good diet and appetite and loves exercise and play still. He's just my gorgeous boy.

For the past few months he has lost some bladder control, and the last few days has had diarrhoea which he gets occasionally so we have been giving him a very bland diet of boiled chicken and rice. Yesterday he couldn't stand up and seemed to have lost all strength in his hind legs. I took him to the vet who gave him an anti inflammatory injection but he still is very weak. He can walk just has difficulty standing up from a lying or sitting position. I have to take him back to the vets tomorrow for an x-ray of his spine (as there is no muscular degeneration in the legs themselves) and for blood tests. I'm really scared what these results might be. Has anyone else had this happen to their dog? What was the result? People keep telling me this was a last symptom before their dog had to be put down and I'm really scared Sad

Thanks in advance for any responses

Mel

mika24
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Mika
Dog(s) Ages : 12
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Loss of hind leg control Empty Re: Loss of hind leg control

Post by Guest Mon Apr 23 2012, 07:14

Hello Mel and welcome from me and Tilly >Big Grin< , sorry your first post is of this nature but welcome to the forum.
Lets hope that the Vet has some good news for you as you seem to have got a response from the anti inflammatory. You're boy is getting on and there's no easy way to say it but it does sound like old age is getting the better of him. Though having said that there are many older staffys around.
Don't want to build your hopes up or knock them down, I only have personal experience of my other breeds (Border Collies and BC X) in this area not staffies. Most important is your boy is comfortable and not suffering at all . When they reach this age its all about dignity.
Fingers and toes and 4 little paws crossed for you and please keep us updated >Big Grin<

Back to top Go down

Post by *Karen* Mon Apr 23 2012, 07:20

They are a worry when they reach their senior years, but he sounds like he is otherwise in very good health so hopefully it won't be anythin serious.

I know a lot of people take the back legs going as a sign that they need to make a decision but your vet will be able to best advise you following the x ray results.

Let us know how he gets on, fingers and paws crossed for him!!
*Karen*
*Karen*
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Mia
Dog(s) Ages : 13 July 2011
Dog Gender(s) : Lady
Support total : 45

Back to top Go down

Post by mika24 Mon Apr 23 2012, 08:03

Thanks for your responses, I will let you guys know what the results are after his x-ray tomorrow

mika24

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by stella Mon Apr 23 2012, 08:40

fingers and paws crossed for you both tomorrow,let us know how you get on >Big Grin<
stella
stella
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : sasha
Dog(s) Ages : 15years RIP
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 1747

Back to top Go down

Post by lmjc90 Mon Apr 23 2012, 09:34

hello and welcome from me and scarlett Smile finger , toes and paws crossed at this end for you aswell hope hes well again soon Smile >Big Grin<
lmjc90
lmjc90
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Scarlett
Dog(s) Ages : 5 months
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 20

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001801581232  More and

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Mon Apr 23 2012, 09:59

Hi & Loss of hind leg control Welcome

Welcome to the staffordshire bull terrier niceboard. We are pleased you have decided to join us, and hope you enjoy your stay. We hope to see plenty of pictures of your staffordshire bull terriers or any other breed you may have in your household Smile

If you would like to enter your dog(s), puppy(s) or another pet(s) you may have into our Monthly Competition, voting starts on the 20th of every month, if you are lucky your dog maybe placed on our Hall Of Fame page on our website.

Just one last thing before you look around could you please just have a quick look At This Poll, we would love to know how you found us.

Here are some links that will get you started with the website:-

Loss of hind leg control Icon_arrow Please read the Forum Rules before you start posting.
Loss of hind leg control Icon_arrow Here are a List of Tutorial & FAQs that will help you around the forum.
Loss of hind leg control Icon_arrow You can ask for Help here if you are having trouble doing something on the forum.
Loss of hind leg control Icon_arrow If you have any ideas to improve the forum please let us know Your Feedback Here.
Loss of hind leg control Icon_arrow We have a Website with alot of information if you would like to view it.
Loss of hind leg control Icon_arrow Make a Donate to help us to keep us improving our forum and website.
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Apr 23 2012, 10:24

Hi & welcome to the forum.

At his age, it's possible that the diareah has affected his back end. Severe runs can inflame the bowel & make the muscles that control the end of the spine sore or numb. Hopefully that's all it is, and by combating the runs you can combat the loss of strength in his back legs.

I'm sure that your vet will discuss all possibilities with you, though.

Whatever the outcome, please feel welcome to come on here & rant or cry or let us know how well he's doing!!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Apr 23 2012, 12:18

Hi and welcome from us and Suki. To caveat on what Caryll said it could be a number of different things. Hopefully all the tests will work out and he will be fine

Back to top Go down

Post by mika24 Mon Apr 23 2012, 23:07

Good news, he has regained full control of his hind legs so it looks like it was just a temporary inflammation and the x-ray has been cancelled Big Grin So glad I don't have to put my poor boy through any further testing and he is back to his old self Smile

mika24

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Apr 23 2012, 23:17

waheyt !!! Brilliant news and so pleased for you , I have to admit I was a bit worried this morning and feeling a bit sad for you as I've been through it 3 times now but hey ho life goes on , you should be partying dance dance group hug

Back to top Go down

Post by stella Tue Apr 24 2012, 07:46

so glad to hear it dance
stella
stella

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : sasha
Dog(s) Ages : 15years RIP
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 1747

Back to top Go down

Post by leigh46137 Tue Apr 24 2012, 20:33

a good to hear he is better.
leigh46137
leigh46137

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Holly
Dog Gender(s) : Girl
Support total : 32

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 24 2012, 20:42

That's great news! I bet you're so relieved!

Back to top Go down

Post by mika24 Wed Apr 25 2012, 02:55

I am absolutely relieved. He's only 12 and I'm not prepared for life without him yet. My kids have been born into his family and it just wouldn't be the same. But he's healthy and mobile again so I'm going to celebrate by buying him some pigs ears to much on Smile

mika24

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 26 2012, 02:27

Great news

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 26 2012, 03:15

Hi and welcome to the forum

I only just read this and having an older girl (15 years), I know what you would have been going through.
My older girl had a similar problem and the vet thought it may have been a "pinched nerve" in her spine.

Glad all is well now. >Big Grin<

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 26 2012, 07:55

When my old girl started losing bladder control, she was prescribed a syrup from the vet, im sorry, i can not remember its name. With in days she regained her control. She also had the same trouble with her legs, again she was given tablets. There is treatment that works. Alot of us here have been through this, im so pleased that he's ok. My old girl was 16 when we lost her, and like you, she was our family. Im sure he'll be around 4 some time yet xx

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down