Sore hind leg

2 posters

Go down

Sore hind leg Empty Sore hind leg

Post by rascal-girl Thu Jan 19 2012, 06:44

About a week ago, Rascal seemed to be favouring her R hind leg. When she jumped from the kids trampoline her hind legs collapsed. The same thing happened when she jumped down from the couch. Well, she no longer collapses when she jumps but she still seems to favour that leg a tiny bit. She's no longer as "bouncy" as she used to be,however she still jumps all over the kids! We feed her according to the Whole Prey model of feeding and I know during that week we prob overdid the bones. Are we doing the wrong thing by letting her up on the trampoline? Is it maybe too high for her? She also has a real bum swaying thing goin' on when she walks. is this usual for Staffs? She's our first dog so a lot of this is uncharted territory for us! All advice/opinions welcome Big Grin
rascal-girl
rascal-girl
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Rascal
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 11

Back to top Go down

Sore hind leg Empty Re: Sore hind leg

Post by Guest Thu Jan 19 2012, 11:12

The bum swaying is typical staffy walk! Laughing It's quite unique to the breed, and you can spot a staff a mile off just because of 'the walk'!

Your feeding routine won't have anything to do with the leg. If she's doing well on the prey model diet, then keep going. If you give too many bones all that will happen is she'll get a bit constipated & you just cut down the ratio a bit.

She's still very young (can't remember how old she is) and I wouldn't be too comfortable with her jumping from fairly high places just yet. She probably strained a tendon or muscle & it's taking a while to fully heal. If it hasn't eased off by the middle of next week I'd pop her to the vets to make sure there's nothing else.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 19 2012, 11:33

Caryll wrote:The bum swaying is typical staffy walk! Laughing
The walk is one of the things I love about staffies. I can watch Ty walk from behind for ever. It amuses me the way each back foot is placed exactly in the place of the other which produces that characteristic gait. I keep trying to video it but somehow not managing that yet.

I dont think bouncing on a trampoline would be too good for your pup either.

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Thu Jan 19 2012, 11:49

Try to avoid any jumping around, if there is a problem with the leg this isn't going to help it heal properly. keep to short walks on the lead for now.

They do have a sexy wiggle don't they. I'm sure Rocky exaggerates this when he sees the young ladies jogging around our local park it's so funny Laughing
Kathy
Kathy
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 19 2012, 12:43

The walk is normal. Staffies take awhile to fully mature usually 2-3 years. They tend to put on weight faster than their neuromuscular system can devolp. High impact exercise such as jumping, weight pulling, back packing and running on concrete should be avoided or at least minimized until they are 18-24 months old and then be gradually built up or increased.

This allows for the joints, ligaments and tendons to be able to properly support the dog and reduce long term health care issues such as arthrirtis and hip displacia.

Back to top Go down

Post by rascal-girl Wed Jan 25 2012, 22:47

Thanks so much guys, still working on the trampoline thing short of removing it altogether, not sure how to stop her. So, we've put a low table next to it which cuts the jump height in half, so she's jumping 25cm onto the table, and 75 cm onto the ground. She seems better now, and thanks for the reassurance about the sexy staffy hip sway thing Big Grin Caryll, she's 10mths old now. Will have to post an up to date pic.
rascal-girl
rascal-girl

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Rascal
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 11

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content