Staffy VS Pitbull ?!

3 posters

Go down

Staffy VS Pitbull ?! Empty Staffy VS Pitbull ?!

Post by x0gawjus0x Mon Jul 23 2012, 15:24

So here's an on-going argument? Here are some comments ive managed to find all over the net .. what is your opinion, what do you think to be true?
Here are some statements:

'Staffys are the same as a pit bull... The AKC just did not like the name/reputation of pit bull so they changed the breed name'

'Staffy's are the "show versions" of pittys'

'staffs fall under what people call pitbulls.
there is three
american pitbull terrier
american staffordshire terrier
stafforedshire bull terrier

the way law sees it is that all 3 are pitbulls'

'A Staffy is a very close relative of the American Pit Bull Terrier, but they are not the same - Their breeding defines a lot to what they are, and how they preform'

'Well, as soon as people wake up and learn that it is NOT how you raise them as they keep repeating but, it IS all about genetics'

There are many more but there are some of them - im sure you can find loads.. If they are or are similar to pitbulls, surely they would be banned as pitbull "type" dogs are banned? I can also see that staffys are shorter and wider than pits. I think that staffs do have close features to the pitbull however there definately are also differences, and are clearly not the same. Whats your opinion
x0gawjus0x
x0gawjus0x
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Vinnie
Dog(s) Ages : 10/05/2012
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 6

Back to top Go down

Staffy VS Pitbull ?! Empty Re: Staffy VS Pitbull ?!

Post by Guest Mon Jul 23 2012, 16:39

x0gawjus0x wrote:'Staffys are the same as a pit bull... The AKC just did not like the name/reputation of pit bull so they changed the breed name'

False. The APBT was developed seperately from the Staffordshire Bull Terrier & has been bred seperately for decades.

'Staffy's are the "show versions" of pittys'

Again, false. Staffords are their own breed & APBTs are their own breed.

'staffs fall under what people call pitbulls.
there is three
american pitbull terrier
american staffordshire terrier
stafforedshire bull terrier

The APBT and the AmStaff are virtually the same breed. The AKC wouldn't register pitbulls so they changed the name to American Staffordshire Terrier. However, people carried on calling dogs APBTs and started up their own registry.

The Staffordshire Bull Terrier is very different from both the above.

the way law sees it is that all 3 are pitbulls'

False.

'A Staffy is a very close relative of the American Pit Bull Terrier, but they are not the same - Their breeding defines a lot to what they are, and how they preform'

They come from a common ancestor (the old Bull & terrier dogs exported to the USA over a hundred & thirty years or so ago) but have been bred seperately for over a century.

'Well, as soon as people wake up and learn that it is NOT how you raise them as they keep repeating but, it IS all about genetics'

Genetics has a huge part to play in what a dog's character is like. However, all of the bull breeds should have good temperaments with humans, and most of the 'bad' ones are that way because they have been brought up badly.

There are many more but there are some of them - im sure you can find loads.. If they are or are similar to pitbulls, surely they would be banned as pitbull "type" dogs are banned? I can also see that staffys are shorter and wider than pits. I think that staffs do have close features to the pitbull however there definately are also differences, and are clearly not the same. Whats your opinion

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Mon Jul 23 2012, 16:42

In the US though, there is much more debate on the above Caryll. Doesn't seem like legislators or insurance companies (home owner's policy) care about whether or not they are really separate. They do lump them together despite the facts. Really is quite maddening. They simply dismiss facts presented by interest groups or the AKC.
Ben
Ben
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Frosty, Piglette
Dog(s) Ages : 3, 5
Dog Gender(s) : Male, Female
Support total : 325

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jul 23 2012, 16:46

Certainly in the UK there's a strong awareness of their seperateness.

They really are at least two seperate breeds, and maybe three if you seperate APBTs & AmStaffs.

Back to top Go down

Post by Galadriel Mon Jul 23 2012, 17:03

I think you're getting confused between the Staffordshire Bull Terrier and the American Staffordshire Terrier. Two different breeds although similar in name.

Am Staffs and APBTs used to be able to be dual registered (registered as an Am Staff with one KC and APBT with another) so it can be argued that they're the same breed but I believe the dual registration is no longer allowed although not 100% sure on that one as I can't remember the source. Smile

Last edited by Galadriel on Mon Jul 23 2012, 17:07; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Typo)

Galadriel

Status Status :

Female
Support total : 175

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Mon Jul 23 2012, 17:58

Galadriel wrote:I think you're getting confused between the Staffordshire Bull Terrier and the American Staffordshire Terrier. Two different breeds although similar in name.

Am Staffs and APBTs used to be able to be dual registered (registered as an Am Staff with one KC and APBT with another) so it can be argued that they're the same breed but I believe the dual registration is no longer allowed although not 100% sure on that one as I can't remember the source. Smile

You are correct about dual registrations now as well as new registration for amstaffs not being allowed. Not sure of you are referring to my quote above but in the US, all three are often lumped together. I've found roughly 50/50 in people who will agree to seperate breeds despite the AKC and very strong historical evidence that Sbt and amstaffs are two seperate breeds. Just a weird thing here. Too many sheeple.
Ben
Ben

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Frosty, Piglette
Dog(s) Ages : 3, 5
Dog Gender(s) : Male, Female
Support total : 325

Back to top Go down

Post by Galadriel Mon Jul 23 2012, 18:06

bbimson wrote:
Galadriel wrote:I think you're getting confused between the Staffordshire Bull Terrier and the American Staffordshire Terrier. Two different breeds although similar in name.

You are correct about dual registrations now as well as new registration for amstaffs not being allowed. Not sure of you are referring to my quote above but in the US, all three are often lumped together. I've found roughly 50/50 in people who will agree to seperate breeds despite the AKC and very strong historical evidence that Sbt and amstaffs are two seperate breeds. Just a weird thing here. Too many sheeple.

No, sorry, I was referring to the OP when I mentioned about getting confused.

I know a few old folk over here who loosely term all dogs descended from bull and terrier types as 'pit dogs' although they're aware of the different breeds...

Galadriel

Status Status :

Female
Support total : 175

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down