+2
Steve
dan_southampton
6 posters

Go down

Advice please Empty Advice please

Post by dan_southampton Sat Mar 10 2012, 00:22

Hi all,

My sister is having to rehome her 4 year old male staffy. He is home with my 3 year old niece and a younger staffy. We are considering having him however we have a 19month old little girl and a 17 week old jack russell x paterdale terrier.

Would it be advisable to move this dog in our surroundings?
if anyone has any reccomendations otr suggestions please let me no on here

Thanks

Dan

Last edited by jstaff on Sat Mar 10 2012, 00:26; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : personal e-mail addresses are not allowed)

dan_southampton
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Advice please Empty Re: Advice please

Post by Guest Sat Mar 10 2012, 00:24

Hi & Advice please Welcome

Welcome to the staffordshire bull terrier niceboard. We are pleased you have decided to join us, and hope you enjoy your stay. We hope to see plenty of pictures of your staffordshire bull terriers or any other breed you may have in your household Smile

If you would like to enter your dog(s), puppy(s) or another pet(s) you may have into our Monthly Competition, voting starts on the 20th of every month, if you are lucky your dog maybe placed on our Hall Of Fame page on our website.

Just one last thing before you look around could you please just have a quick look At This Poll, we would love to know how you found us.

Here are some links that will get you started with the website:-

Advice please Icon_arrow Please read the Forum Rules before you start posting.
Advice please Icon_arrow Here are a List of Tutorial & FAQs that will help you around the forum.
Advice please Icon_arrow You can ask for Help here if you are having trouble doing something on the forum.
Advice please Icon_arrow If you have any ideas to improve the forum please let us know Your Feedback Here.
Advice please Icon_arrow We have a Website with alot of information if you would like to view it.
Advice please Icon_arrow Make a Donate to help us to keep us improving our forum and website.

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Sat Mar 10 2012, 00:29

give it rescue center and hope for the best. please tell your sister not to get anymore pets if she cant commit to a dog.

Steve
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Male
Support total : 1443

https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Mar 10 2012, 00:29

I removed your e-mail address because they are not allowed on the forum.

Have the dogs met before? If not have them meet on neutral territory and see how they get along. Walking them together would also be good. They are great with kids but I wouldn't leave them alone with the dog unsupervised

Back to top Go down

Post by dan_southampton Sat Mar 10 2012, 00:31

thank you, it's not my sisters does not want him she has just had a big operation and will not be able to give it the exercise it needs at this time and feels it would be unfair on the dog.
so steve before commenting things like that why not ask

dan_southampton

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by steve76 Sat Mar 10 2012, 00:58

hello and welcome, sorry to hear about your sisters situation, you could try introducing them on neutral ground for a couple of times, then at her house then your's and see if they get along if they are ok then maybe build up the length of time they spend together but keep them segregated at night for a while until the pup is bigger and you are sure that all is ok
steve76
steve76

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Marley
Dog(s) Ages : 2
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 239

Back to top Go down

Post by dan_southampton Sat Mar 10 2012, 01:00

what do you think about the dog with my little girl. my sister rescued the dog when it was 15 months old so we will be his 3rd home i believe I dont know if this will affect things at all. he has been with my sister the last 2 and a half yrs. and she is just concerned at this moment in time she is not going to be able to give him the attention and exercise he requires

dan_southampton

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by steve76 Sat Mar 10 2012, 01:07

has the dog met your daughter? if so what was the reaction? most staff's love kids and are usually very protective over them. the new home may take a little while to settle in to
steve76
steve76

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by dan_southampton Sat Mar 10 2012, 01:11

met her once and just had a sniff and that was it. not seen her since xmas though. my sis is talking about bringing him down for the day next weekend and seeing how he is for the day with my daughter and pup is that advisable

dan_southampton

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by steve76 Sat Mar 10 2012, 01:24

i think that would be good(only my opinion though) that way they can be introduced on your territory, if he's leashed to start with then build up from there as to how much more freedom he has around him.just make sure he's supervised at all times incase he tries to scent the room over riding the pup's smell

as an after thought it could be good to make sure he's well walked before the introduction aswell so there's less likely to be any jumping or over excitement

Last edited by steve76 on Sat Mar 10 2012, 01:30; edited 1 time in total
steve76
steve76

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by dan_southampton Sat Mar 10 2012, 01:27

if he doesnt take nicely to the pup is it staffys that have lock jaw? our pup is tiny at the moment i hope they will bond ok but just thinking of the possibilitys if they dont

dan_southampton

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by steve76 Sat Mar 10 2012, 01:35

any dog can lock on and not let go. as for bonding there's only one way to find out. our staff is a big softy when it comes to pup's, he see's one he lies down whimpers then rolls on his back, but i wouldn't leave a pup alone with him over night
steve76
steve76

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by dan_southampton Sat Mar 10 2012, 01:41

ok thank you

dan_southampton

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by staffybwoii Sat Mar 10 2012, 12:49

i have a 3 year old staffy and a 9 month old there briliant with my kids but if another dog in my house would cause major arguments lol your weee dog would get over powered and bullied thats not fair on him/her. whats this staffy like?
staffybwoii
staffybwoii
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : gunner + minnie + chaos
Dog(s) Ages : 17months + 3 1/2 + 5 months
Dog Gender(s) : male/ bitch/ male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Mar 10 2012, 14:56

I would introduce the dogs on neutral territory and walk them togeher first. My boy is great with little puppies and is good with my 18moth old grand son. He sometimes gets a bit boisterous around the 2 and a half year old boys when they run around all hyped up but this is to be exp Supervision is essential with any dog and small children.ected. He just want to join in.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Mar 10 2012, 15:16

I personally would be taking the dog to a rescue center. Your little puppy would be mincemeat in seconds if this dog decided to go for it. A puppy and a baby is a lot of work can you really commit to ANOTHER dog that you will have to work with seperately? I think you are taking on too much tbh.

Back to top Go down

Post by dan_southampton Mon Mar 12 2012, 01:10

We introduced the dogs in neutral territory today at our local park and if im honest the staff paid minmul attention to our puppy. our jack russell was jumping all over him and barking and the staff looked a little unsure of her tbh. I dont know if this is because she is so small. however the staff was brilliant with me, my wife and also my little girl.
My sister has suggested us having the dog over at ours in the week with her not present for a few hours to see how both the dogs behave is this something that everyone thinks is advisable?

He is such a lovely dog and it would be a shame for him to go to a rescue centre. I want to give him a stable home but at the same time do not want to bring him in if (a) he turns or (b) is unhappy

dan_southampton

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by dan_southampton Mon Mar 12 2012, 01:10

We will have the time for him and the puppy my wife is at home full time and I work a night rota of 3 on 3 off.

Equi wrote:I personally would be taking the dog to a rescue center. Your little puppy would be mincemeat in seconds if this dog decided to go for it. A puppy and a baby is a lot of work can you really commit to ANOTHER dog that you will have to work with seperately? I think you are taking on too much tbh.

dan_southampton

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by steve76 Mon Mar 12 2012, 01:13

a trial weekend could be good, but also maybe meet up at your sisters before and see how they are on his territory then decide from there
steve76
steve76

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by shakespearesdog Mon Mar 12 2012, 02:36

f he doesnt take nicely to the pup is it staffys that have lock jaw? our pup is tiny at the moment i hope they will bond ok but just thinking of the possibilitys if they dont
Do you also think the earth is flat and the moon is made of cheese? Think about this seriously for a moment-an animal, a canine, a dog, a creature made of flesh and blood having a locking jaw. Tell me, can you lock your jaw? Are they made of steel? No? Then neither can a dog. ANY dog, be it pitbull, mastiff, bulldog or Yorkshire terrier. Lockjaw is a bacterial disease not a special robotic feature of Staffordshire bull terriers.
He is such a lovely dog and it would be a shame for him to go to a rescue centre. I want to give him a stable home but at the same time do not want to bring him in if (a) he turns or (b) is unhappy
There's no such thing as a dog 'turning'. A dog won't suddenly snap one day and decide it wants to eat (a) your child (b) your other dog*. A dog will give fair warning that its upset, growling, eye-balling, freezing, flattening it's ears, cringing low to the ground, raising its hackles. There are hundreds of variables that can cause a dog to bite someone/something, the most common one being people not paying close attention to the aforementioned signs. You seem very reluctant to own a stafford and I suggest you give him to someone that is less judgemental then yourself and experienced about the breed. I also suggest you buy a good book on staffordshires and read up about them and not the daily mail.
*Unless of course it has a brain tumour. Then anything's possible.

shakespearesdog
Banned
Banned

Status Status :

Female
Dog(s) Ages :
Support total : 55

Back to top Go down

Post by dan_southampton Mon Mar 12 2012, 04:55

Dont patronise me I am coming on here asking questions!!! I have nothing against the breed whatsoever!!! I just want to be sure before I bring a 4 year old one into my home. I appreciate the breed has alot of bad press but there alot of people that speak very highly of the breed. I am trying to do whats right for my family and also the dog here. Do you think I want to see my ill sister get her dog put in a rescue home NO, I am trying to home him with us just need to be sure.

My advice to you if you dont like my questions then dont bother replying on the thread. There are people coming on here giving me tips and things I do not need a lecture from someone who feels its ok to patronise others

dan_southampton

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by dan_southampton Mon Mar 12 2012, 04:55

cheers steve thanks for this I will see what I can arrange

steve76 wrote:a trial weekend could be good, but also maybe meet up at your sisters before and see how they are on his territory then decide from there

dan_southampton

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by willowthewisp Mon Mar 12 2012, 16:19

i think u need to get a crate for staffy he then goes in it a night and you know both dogs are seperated and also if you need a break in the day the dog can be put in crate my staff if i put him in his crate he goes to sleep! i think you should see how you go as you sound like you want to.
willowthewisp
willowthewisp
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Advice please Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : willow and chester
Dog(s) Ages : willow 3 years chester 2
Dog Gender(s) : willow female chester male
Support total : 32

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Mar 12 2012, 16:26

Sorry to hear about the situation.
Yes I guess the only way you will ever know is to give it a try! If your wife is home all the time and if the dogs get on well together ...well that is a good start!
I never leave my 2 alone together , mind you there is a 12 year age difference ! But you can't be too careful.
If you decide to take on this staffy, hope it works out well.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down