help and advice please

4 posters

Go down

help and advice please Empty help and advice please

Post by Lillypuppy Thu May 08 2014, 09:58

hi any advice plz my 8 year old bitch is very dominering she always has been shes not agressive but she does try to pin other dogs down and try to hump them Blushing anyway my daughter whos lived at home for 19yrs has recently moved into her first property and she desperatly wanted a dog so we advertised what we wanted and someone gt in touch with us and he was a perfect match for my daughter and may i say shes had him about 6 weeks now and its going fab between them hes a red staffy  ,anyway the problem is we are both nervouse about lilly our dog meeting jack my daughters dog hes 3 years old by the way,we go on 2 to 3 walks together a day walking near each other but we havent let them off together apart from if im way in front of jack because they just seem to want to just avoid each other,but last night on a walk my lilly sniffed jacks bottom first time shes showed any interest and he flipped round and nearly snapped her on her nose they did touch but it was more like a warning to lilly now lilly has let jack sniff her a couple of times but trys to get away from him quickly im really unsure on wat to do because id really love for them to get on, any advice would be great  Smile

Last edited by Kathy on Thu May 08 2014, 18:36; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Moved post to Staffy Training & Behaviour)
Lillypuppy
Lillypuppy
Regular Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Lilly,Jack
Dog(s) Ages : 8,3
Dog Gender(s) : girl,boy
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

help and advice please Empty Re: help and advice please

Post by -Ian- Thu May 08 2014, 17:50

Sounds to me as though your on the right track by walking them together whilst under control. I would hope that the more they meet the more sociable they will become.

I'm not an expert with behaviour but I'm sure others will be able to offer more advice.

Staffy-Bull-Terrier Online Community
Meet the forum staff - Who's Who
Please read the forum rules - Click Here.

help and advice please B110
-Ian-
-Ian-
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Anything, she's Deaf !
Dog(s) Ages : RIP Flo
Dog Gender(s) : Girl
Support total : 2862

Back to top Go down

help and advice please Empty here they are this was days ago

Post by Lillypuppy Thu May 08 2014, 22:12

thanks for your reply ian, i guess we will just go with the flow weve been out for a quick walk again today and were going out again tonight hopefully they will get along off the lead together as we go round each others houses a few times a day n would be nice if they could come too thanks again.help and advice please 10255207_10152390875115853_461663871036925838_n
Lillypuppy
Lillypuppy

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by -Ian- Fri May 09 2014, 00:27

Great pic of the two of them  Big Grin 

In my experience with my Flo, they can pick up on nervousness from you. This might be through the lead or otherwise. Flo is much calmer off the lead and when my OH is walking her, she is a lot calmer with Flo when confronted by other off lead dogs. This used to be an issue as Flo would tell the other dogs off. No real malice, just a telling off.

I know it's easier said than done but if you can relax a little on the meetings you might find they settle a bit easier. Worth a go if nothing else.

Do let us know how you get on.

Staffy-Bull-Terrier Online Community
Meet the forum staff - Who's Who
Please read the forum rules - Click Here.

help and advice please B110
-Ian-
-Ian-

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Anything, she's Deaf !
Dog(s) Ages : RIP Flo
Dog Gender(s) : Girl
Support total : 2862

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachel33 Fri May 09 2014, 10:06

Hello! Great posts from Ian Smile my girl likes to hump other dogs too, but she seems to do it out of excitement/anxiety more than anything, she's never really been mixed with dogs though (rescue) and is very reactive/defensive with all unknown dogs.

Definitely think you're doing the right thing by walking them close to each other, even with dogs that Biscuit has walked with for a while she won't let them sniff her bum. It's not a very polite interaction between dogs, so I wouldn't panic about this.

I'd keep going with parallel walks with you both on the inside and the dogs on the outside on lead, and watch your dogs. If they're getting on okay after a few weeks move one to the inside and one to the outside, still no interaction but monitor. If getting on okay pr
Rachel33
Rachel33

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Bug (Biscuit)
Dog(s) Ages : 7 ish
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 1012

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachel33 Fri May 09 2014, 10:09

*progress to both inside walking next to each other still not interaction. If both seem comfortable try allowing a face to face sniff. This can take weeks, but try to prevent any negative reactions, so don't move too fast. Sorry for the split post I'm on my phone and sent too early.
Rachel33
Rachel33

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Lillypuppy Fri May 09 2014, 16:18

thanks for the coment rachel ill keep it up and see how we go was told the other day tht you should never let a dog sniff face to face and only butt sniffing lol is allowed?so i followed that advice as i didnt no iether 1 was right or wrong anyway but will try how you said and keep you posted thanks again
Lillypuppy
Lillypuppy

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachel33 Fri May 09 2014, 16:29

It really depends on the dog, sniffing each others hind quarters is fine, but not on first initial greeting, that's what makes it impolite.

Generally whenever I've mixed sociable dogs if we let them off lead together they would naturally sniff face first and then curve around to sniff each others bums. The face to face greet is brief, and should be more faces next to each other than looking at each other because obviously a stare is just asking for trouble.

Rachel33
Rachel33

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachel33 Fri May 09 2014, 16:31

It also depends on the butt sniff (what a wonderful conversation to be having lol!!) I've known of dogs to politely sniff and move away, and I've known of dogs to literally pick Biscuit up off of the floor with their nose under her bottom and she's really told them then. Mostly Labradors!!

This is good article in regards to greetings

http://k-9solutionsdogtraininginc.blogspot.co.uk/2008/05/lesson-in-canine-greetings.html
Rachel33
Rachel33

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Bane Fri May 09 2014, 21:36

Let us know how they get along Smile My parents staff was never really dog friendly and the first few times Bane and him met, he would snap at Bane whenever he got too close, but now they get along fine. It took quite a few weeks of walking them together to let them get to know eachother and to allow Domino to see that Bane wasn't a threat Smile
Do you know any history about your daughters?
Bane
Bane
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Bane
Dog(s) Ages : 13th August 2013
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 332

Back to top Go down

Post by Lillypuppy Sun May 11 2014, 01:22

hiya the only thing we no is up to now my daughter is his 3rd owner his 1st owner had a rottweiler aswel as jack and apperantly they was always fighting so his 2nd owner took him in ,she had him since december so she had him 4 4 months then gave him to us hes sopposed to be 2 years old,we have already had him in vets 4 his jab flea and worming tablets he said he doesnt think hes 3 more like 2 years old so we dont really no anything which is a shame hes back at vets in 2 weeks 4 second jab and microchipping and weve already got him on the waiting list to gets his bits done poor thing hope he will forgive us 4 it lol,and emma i will keep walking them together 4 aslong as it takes, its very encouraging tht your mums dog finaly got along with urs i will keep u updated thanks again u guys  Smile
Lillypuppy
Lillypuppy

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Bane Sun May 11 2014, 10:32

It's always hard with a dog that you don't know any of the history as anything could have happened to him to make him wary of other dogs.
Good luck with the walking Smile Hopefully they will learn to accept each other.
Bane
Bane

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Bane
Dog(s) Ages : 13th August 2013
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 332

Back to top Go down