Is walking your dog bad for your health?

+3
stella
Kathy
harlou
7 posters

Go down

Is walking your dog bad for your health?  Empty Is walking your dog bad for your health?

Post by Guest Mon Feb 27 2012, 20:19

for some reason my computer won't let me copy the link on the news but it will let me copy the text so here you are.

You might think that taking your dog for daily walks would help to keep you fit and healthy, but new research indicates that that might not be the case.

Over a two month period, doctors at the Conquest Hospital in Hastings, East Sussex noticed 37 cases of patients needing treatment for broken bones, soft tissue injuries and head wounds caused by dogs - which would add up to more than 200 injuries a year.

Most were pulled over by their dog while it was on a lead, while others tripped, fell over leads or were knocked over by their pets. Sixteen of them needed surgery as a result.

The Daily Mail reports that doctors were so surprised by the results that they concluded that the risk to dog owners may offset any of the health benefits.

The new study, published in the journal Accident Analysis and Prevention, looks at how many injuries, other than bites, dogs cause.

Previous research has shown that owning a dog can reduce the risk of depression and eczema, lower blood pressure and combat obesity.

Dr Henry Willmott from the Conquest Hospital told the Daily Mail: "We have shown that dog-related injuries are common, particularly in the elderly.

"The presence of a dog in the house should be taken into consideration when the risk of falls is being assessed and dog obedience training should be considered. I am sure that this is a common phenomenon across the UK.

"Elderly women walking their dog on uneven ground were most at risk of injury. Some of the injuries were serious and resulted in considerable morbidity."

Back to top Go down

Is walking your dog bad for your health?  Empty Re: Is walking your dog bad for your health?

Post by harlou Mon Feb 27 2012, 20:26

When we first adopted olly we bought a 50" training lead once my wife threw the ball and i wasnt looking he pulled me off my feet and dragged me about 3 yards ,it was really embarrasing but other walkers had a good laugh .i had to get a cortisone shot in my shoulder ,no more training lead just a pocketful of treats which is much less painful
harlou
harlou
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Is walking your dog bad for your health?  Top_ra10

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : OLLY
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 12

Back to top Go down

Is walking your dog bad for your health?  Empty Re: Is walking your dog bad for your health?

Post by Guest Mon Feb 27 2012, 23:42

soryy but Laughing can jus timagine that sight on the field. must have been painful though sorry

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Tue Feb 28 2012, 15:32

I know that I am definately more healthy since we've had Rocky. I have lost 9 kilos in weight (about a stone in old money) and I feel better for it. I suppose I could have just stayed in and sat on the sofa then I would have stayed the same. i dont know
Kathy
Kathy
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 28 2012, 16:19

I love the papers.

Back to top Go down

Post by stella Tue Feb 28 2012, 21:51

i think i'll take the risk and carry on walking,i know some times when its raining or cold it seems a bit of a chore but on the whole a really enjoy it and look foreward to it Smile
stella
stella
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : sasha
Dog(s) Ages : 15years RIP
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 1747

Back to top Go down

Post by steve76 Tue Feb 28 2012, 22:00

was off my feet for just over 2 months thanks to marley, christmas was spent on crutches, but we are back out walking a couple of times a day around 45 mins each time, he's helping me keep fitter and build my leg back up and he's getting a good amount of exercise so it's a win win and i wouldn't be without him now
steve76
steve76

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Marley
Dog(s) Ages : 2
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 239

Back to top Go down

Post by Gazagem Wed Feb 29 2012, 18:39

I've been dragged along by my gsds Luckly it was on grass and no injurys apart from bruises and a bruised ego

I did get a swollen ankle when playing football and my gsd thought my foot was the ball lol

I have also been knocked on my bum a few times by Skye playing and not looking where she was going

But that's not bad going for over 20 years walking my dogs oh no showings age now lol
Gazagem
Gazagem

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Skye
Dog(s) Ages : 4
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 146

Back to top Go down

Post by Taz Thu Mar 01 2012, 03:49

I think the answer would definitely be, that's it's an individual thing.

Does it say that the people falling over are generally accident prone etc ? There seems to be too many factors to consider before the base question can be answered, it's not quite as black and white as its written ......

We are told to walk 20 minutes a day minimum for our hearts (blood pressure, cholesterol), dogs are known for lifting the soul , a life time of companionship, permanent giggle, meet new people, exercise - physical, emotional & social health should be improved!!

versus

responsible ownership, training, the odd accident & a bit of stress when things arent good ( health etc)

I know I'm healthier, happier and more sociable since owning my pup Big Grin

Taz
Taz
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Is walking your dog bad for your health?  Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : 'lil Miss Taz Devil Demoania ~ TAZ
Dog(s) Ages : 31:05:2011
Dog Gender(s) : She's a lady, a tinker, a beauty, an a real b!tch
Support total : 27

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathan Sun Mar 04 2012, 18:32

When I take marley out its like therapy, esepcially after work. within 10 mins into the walk the stress of the day has gone Smile but he has given me a few racing heart moments since I've had him.
To be honest Im more likey to break something tripping over his damn toys he keeps leaving on the stairs and my most frequent "injury" is standing barefoot on raggady chewed up bits of hide chews doh
Nathan
Nathan

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Marley and Laska
Dog(s) Ages : 30/08/2011 Marley 03/05/12 Laska
Dog Gender(s) : Male Marley Female Laska
Support total : 626

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Mar 04 2012, 18:43

axam102 wrote:When I take marley out its like therapy, esepcially after work. within 10 mins into the walk the stress of the day has gone Smile but he has given me a few racing heart moments since I've had him.
To be honest Im more likey to break something tripping over his damn toys he keeps leaving on the stairs and my most frequent "injury" is standing barefoot on raggady chewed up bits of hide chews doh

can certainly agree with this. am luck not to have been injured when we go out with his mate izzy the GS as when they are flying around and bang into you full throttle its a miracle i dont end up in a heap on the floor!!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down