appollo13102000
stella
janey
Steve
Taryn
12 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

flexi lead. yay or nay? Empty flexi lead. yay or nay?

Post by Taryn Mon Feb 13 2012, 20:54

I brought Romeo a flexi lead the other day. he loves it, and so do it because it makes perfect for training his recall, which has been getting worse lately.
But what do you guys think. Romeo has a harness and collars, and now normal leads, one 2m and one 1m and now this flexi lead.
Its great to let him wander without worrying about him racing off where he should not go, or when he needs to get his butt back at my side Tongues I guess i am lucky Romeo is really senstive to movment on the lead, i'd hate to see what happened if he just didnt care and raced for the hills with all that power behind his shoulders.
Taryn
Taryn
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Romeo
Dog(s) Ages : 27.09.2011
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 207

http://tehotassundynamiitti.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

flexi lead. yay or nay? Empty Re: flexi lead. yay or nay?

Post by Steve Mon Feb 13 2012, 20:56

i use one for my sam becasue he never goes off the lead it give him that bit of freedom

Steve

Status Status :

Male
Support total : 1443

https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Feb 13 2012, 20:58

i love teh leads they let them have some freedom while keeping them out of mischeif and like you say if the recall is rubbish then at least you know theyre not going far

Back to top Go down

Post by Taryn Mon Feb 13 2012, 20:58

i used to let Romeo off lead all the time until his recall started to waver, that and he is kind of 'super' friendly and wanted to greet everyone, not everyone is keen on Romeo's loving
Taryn
Taryn

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Feb 13 2012, 21:01

Romeo wrote:i used to let Romeo off lead all the time until his recall started to waver, that and he is kind of 'super' friendly and wanted to greet everyone, not everyone is keen on Romeo's loving

yeh lemy is a bit over the top with his greeting of people too. he thinks everyone wants to say hello to him and have him jump up their leg and lick them to death bless him he's such a sociable chap

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Feb 13 2012, 21:01

great product , my daughter and OH can walk Tilly on the lead when she's off the lead as they dont have the confidence. Sometimes I still use it as I don't keep tilly off lead if i dont know the people / dogs, not worth the risk of moaning and get really fed up of letting her off then calling her back to put her back on lead so if its really busy then use the flexi and let her wander

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Feb 13 2012, 21:04

Romeo wrote:i used to let Romeo off lead all the time until his recall started to waver, that and he is kind of 'super' friendly and wanted to greet everyone, not everyone is keen on Romeo's loving

This is one of my main reasons , Tilly can get over excited and its strange how a lot of people go walking in their good clothes, I was guilty this morning as clean jeans for work when I normally wear trousers as I was a bit hands on , is ok but when Tilly decides she want to find the biscuits in my pocket it all get s a bit messy Sad

Back to top Go down

Post by Taryn Mon Feb 13 2012, 21:06

i used to be really confident about romeo... but his balls are litterly getting bigger and so is his, i'll do what i want attitude.
When i brought it i was worried since the rope is so thin that he would snap it if he gave it good enough tug, but, so far so good Big Grin

Also we have cross country skiing around my area, and Romeo has decided they are the best thing ever to chase, the skiiers dont agree.
Taryn
Taryn

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Mon Feb 13 2012, 21:08

Moo has always been off lead with me, but it was a real help for my mum and daog walker to build up trust.

When I initially got her she was on a harness and flexi lead so if she did make a bolt for it she wouldn't strangle herself!

Worked well in my situation to build others confidence with her and realise her recall is fab. After all I do rely on them Smile
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Taryn Mon Feb 13 2012, 21:12

mines more like.. convincing Romeo to come back... when i dont have some kind of tasty treat for him, cunning little bugger.

I just think in some countries, you cant have breeds like staffs or Amstaffs on flexies... which is bull, it should depend on the dog, not the breed, i have seen pleanty of toy sized dogs that should be muzzled and on a meter leash
Taryn
Taryn

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by stella Mon Feb 13 2012, 21:16

i had one for sasha when she was a pup,it was good because she could have a run but i knew i still had control of her Smile
stella
stella
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : sasha
Dog(s) Ages : 15years RIP
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 1747

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Feb 13 2012, 21:18

Yay when used responsibly.

I have one for stan and tara.

Back to top Go down

Post by Taryn Mon Feb 13 2012, 21:19

xXxshelly_stanliexXx wrote:Yay when used responsibly.

I have one for stan and tara.

not Hooch?
Taryn
Taryn

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Feb 13 2012, 21:23

No not needed hooch has perfect recall and never goes up to other dogs.
Stans not quite there yet lol if hes not playing fetch and he sees another dog he would want too go play and tara well shes tara and has major deaf moments so if i m where other dogs are i have her on the flexi.

Back to top Go down

Post by appollo13102000 Mon Feb 13 2012, 22:49

i use one for murfy but more for my peice of mind
as his hearing and sight are goinghe gets to roam
but not to fat bless his cotton sox Tongues
appollo13102000
appollo13102000

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : ruby/ nigel
Dog(s) Ages : 9 and 7ish
Dog Gender(s) : female/male
Support total : 28

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Feb 13 2012, 22:54

I used one for Dempsey to start with - but I used one of the really strong ones with a tape lead rather than rope - it's actually much stronger. I can't remember the breaking strain, but it was quite high. I wouldn't dare use one now, if he took off he'd take me with him!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Feb 13 2012, 23:02

We don't use one too afraid it would break. We use a long lead instead but it serves te same purpose.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Feb 13 2012, 23:09

I'm not a fan because people always let their dogs roam throughout the store on the flexi lead knocking things down and whatnot, plus I've heard some horror stories of people losing fingers from the cord wrapping around them. Saxon has a 5' lead (1.5 meter) for regular walks and a 25' lead (7.6 meter) if he needs to run, but can't be off lead and that works fine for us!

Back to top Go down

Post by Taryn Mon Feb 13 2012, 23:28

yeah before i got one i used to be kind of worried about them as i had seen some one ride their bike into one and half choke the dog and fall facefirst into the pathment. when i am in the city or i shopping locations i keep that flexi nice and short, but when we are out and about i let me have free roam. i must admit, with so much ice and snow here... i worry about romeo taking me for a 100m dash face first through the snow when we go down hill.
Taryn
Taryn

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Andy Mon Feb 13 2012, 23:33

I have a heavy duty one for Max and its great, but I have made a "fail safe" secondary rope with a dog clip on as I didnt really trust the brake to be strong enough if he wants to go Wink
Andy
Andy

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Max
Dog(s) Ages : DOB: Aug 2010
Support total : 305

Back to top Go down

Post by Taryn Mon Feb 13 2012, 23:37

yeah thats what i worried about since i tried my own strength on it and if i really 'want' to i can force the rope along with the break on. well for now it seems pretty good, he's happy with it, we'll see when he gets older, as he is going to be 5 months old on the 27th. oh he's such a big boy 13kgs already!
Taryn
Taryn

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Andy Tue Feb 14 2012, 10:42

Yeah Max does drag training so he's almost trained to pull now (but only when in his harness), tho obviously, if he see's summut he wants to check out while on a collar and flexi, he has the tools now to over power the brake on the lead Rolling Eyes ... I just got a spare peice of static 6mm climbing cord (you could hang a car off this stuff Wink ), and tied it through the handle of the flexi lead then tied a clip on the other end ... bobs ya whotzit !! Big Grin
Andy
Andy

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Taryn Tue Feb 14 2012, 11:30

wow, max must be a pulling mechine
Taryn
Taryn

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by shakespearesdog Tue Feb 14 2012, 11:50

I hate flexi leads or rather the people that use them incorrectly. When they have an aggressive dog and walk them late at night-can't see them at all and if the dog should lunge, and its useally a big powerful one, they have no way to pull them back.
I think they are very dangerous.
I useally only put Romeo on the lead because other people are uncomfortable with a dog being offlead and not because he can't be trusted.

shakespearesdog
Banned
Banned

Status Status :

Female
Dog(s) Ages :
Support total : 55

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 14 2012, 11:54

Im in two minds about them to be honest, i always thought they were a bit dangerous for powerful dogs like ours but on the other hand for dogs like my Ty it may offer him some fredom when we are around other dogs like at the beach etc. I always feel for him at the beach when kaos is off playing and he has to be at my side, but he just cant be trusted. Im undecided to be honest lol

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 14 2012, 11:55

i use the flexi lead for walks round places they can have a bit of freedom but for short walks round the streets or for toilet breaks its a normal lead. flexi leads are for a bit of freedom not every day use i think. i have one each for my 2 and i bought the heaviest one so i knew it would hold them

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 14 2012, 11:57

blaze wrote:Im in two minds about them to be honest, i always thought they were a bit dangerous for powerful dogs like ours but on the other hand for dogs like my Ty it may offer him some fredom when we are around other dogs like at the beach etc. I always feel for him at the beach when kaos is off playing and he has to be at my side, but he just cant be trusted. Im undecided to be honest lol

if you dont trust the flexi lead there is someone on here that has once mentioned the very long guide ropes they use for horses. the flexi lead though will coil back when the dog is closer the horse rope won't. flexi lead is less likely to be peed on so no smelly rope to to pick up Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by Andy Tue Feb 14 2012, 11:57

Romeo wrote:wow, max must be a pulling mechine

He's getting there Laughing ... thats why I dont have a go at him too much for pullin on a lead walk, its to be expected when he enjoys his drag training so much for him to flex his muscles on a lead walk now and then Big Grin ... kills ya arms tho Laughing
Andy
Andy

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 14 2012, 12:12

shakespearesdog wrote:I hate flexi leads or rather the people that use them incorrectly. When they have an aggressive dog and walk them late at night-can't see them at all and if the dog should lunge, and its useally a big powerful one, they have no way to pull them back.
I think they are very dangerous.
I useally only put Romeo on the lead because other people are uncomfortable with a dog being offlead and not because he can't be trusted.

It isn't the flexi lead that's dangerous, it's the people that use them!

And putting your dog on lead around other dogs is just plain good manners; nothing to do with whether a dog is trustworthy or not! Sorry, big bug bear of mine! Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 14 2012, 12:17

_julie_ wrote:
blaze wrote:Im in two minds about them to be honest, i always thought they were a bit dangerous for powerful dogs like ours but on the other hand for dogs like my Ty it may offer him some fredom when we are around other dogs like at the beach etc. I always feel for him at the beach when kaos is off playing and he has to be at my side, but he just cant be trusted. Im undecided to be honest lol

if you dont trust the flexi lead there is someone on here that has once mentioned the very long guide ropes they use for horses. the flexi lead though will coil back when the dog is closer the horse rope won't. flexi lead is less likely to be peed on so no smelly rope to to pick up Laughing

Yea i have one of those had used it when training recall with both boys. The trouble is its not really practicle in the situations i want ty to have more freedom ie at the beach. Ty is unpredictably agressive with dogs so the lunge line would take so long to reel in etc that it may be to late by then...

Back to top Go down

Post by shakespearesdog Tue Feb 14 2012, 12:27

And putting your dog on lead around other dogs is just plain good manners; nothing to do with whether a dog is trustworthy or not! Sorry, big bug bear of mine!
That makes sense if you're in an open small field or on the pavement where you can see another dog coming but when your in a country park with hundreds of acres and woodland with dozens/hundreds of dogs running free everywhere it would be impossible to clip him onto lead everytime i saw another dog, they're splashing out of the lakes and coming out from bushes every few seconds. If someone is bringing a DA dog along to the country park they keep it on lead and it would make sense for the lead to be a bright, easily seen one especially in the more gloomy parts of the woods. Some people don't bother they just put a muzzle on them and let them roam free like the others.
Do you not have large parks where you live?

shakespearesdog
Banned
Banned

Status Status :

Female
Dog(s) Ages :

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 14 2012, 12:31

Yes, I have large parks. Dempsey isn't da but he's very dominant & will try to pin down any dog that comes bowling over to him. I just think it's polite to introduce dogs on lead first & make sure that the other person actually wants their dog to play/interract with yours. There are times when I want Dempsey to have a run off lead, but don't want him playing with other dogs. There's nothing wrong with that. I try to stay away from other people as much as possible, but it can't always happen. In that case I put him on a lead & expect the other person to do likewise (or at least keep their dog away).

It's totally irresponsible to just let your dog go bounding up to every dog they see without checking with the other owner first. I'm sorry if that offends, but that's the way I see it.

Back to top Go down

Post by shakespearesdog Tue Feb 14 2012, 12:39

It's totally irresponsible to just let your dog go bounding up to every dog they see without checking with the other owner first. I'm sorry if that offends, but that's the way I see it.
Doesn't offend me. Smile Romeo doesn't go up to any dogs unless I say he can. I always check with the owners-unless they're miles in the distance! Laughing

shakespearesdog
Banned
Banned

Status Status :

Female
Dog(s) Ages :

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 14 2012, 12:44

shakespearesdog wrote:
Doesn't offend me. Smile Romeo doesn't go up to any dogs unless I say he can. I always check with the owners-unless they're miles in the distance! Laughing

Dempsey doesn't go up to dogs either, but you'd be surprised how many numpties allow their dogs to come running up to Dempsey without checking first! Baaaaad mistake! Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by Andy Tue Feb 14 2012, 12:47

Caryll wrote:Yes, I have large parks. Dempsey isn't da but he's very dominant & will try to pin down any dog that comes bowling over to him. I just think it's polite to introduce dogs on lead first & make sure that the other person actually wants their dog to play/interract with yours. There are times when I want Dempsey to have a run off lead, but don't want him playing with other dogs. There's nothing wrong with that. I try to stay away from other people as much as possible, but it can't always happen. In that case I put him on a lead & expect the other person to do likewise (or at least keep their dog away).

My way of thinking completely thumbs up
Andy
Andy

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by jshrew Tue Feb 14 2012, 19:19

If we are out for long 'along road' walks then I keep to a regular leather lead but when we are just spinning round the park (literally just out of the back gate) then we use the flexi lead (although I do want an 8m 50kg tape one) Ledger very rarely takes it to the full extension and he is learning to unwrap himself when he goes the wrong side of trees the only things I would like on them is a built in clicker option (gotta be easy to build into the handle) and maybe a strap to hook over my wrist
jshrew
jshrew
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Moderator

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Ledger and Maple
Dog(s) Ages : 7 and 2
Dog Gender(s) : Male and Female
Support total : 209

Back to top Go down

Post by linzy Tue Feb 14 2012, 19:49

I don't use them any more, since Violet has burst out of 3 of them - even the heavy duty one for 50kg dogs when she was 5 months old Sad We have a really long line for her now, and although it's a total nightmare for carrying compared to the flexileads, I'm not worried about her running after her doggy pal and leaving me standing with an empty lead casing in my hand!
linzy
linzy

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Violet
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 25

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 14 2012, 19:51

That's the thing. If you dog's a serious puller, then no flexi lead will hold it!

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Tue Feb 14 2012, 19:58

flexi lead for large dog can handled pullers my sam is really strong and pull alot lasted nearly 6 years

Steve

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Tue Feb 14 2012, 20:00

flexi lead. yay or nay? Smycz-FLEXI-automatyczna-comfort-compact-3-%5Blarge%5D-czarna.600x400

Steve

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Tue Feb 14 2012, 20:01

flexi comfort 3 for large dogs

Steve

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 14 2012, 20:01

The problem, Steve, is that although it'll take a sustained pull, a sudden power pull from a good sized staff can break it! The lead itself stays in one piece, but the 'handle' mechanism can bust!

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Tue Feb 14 2012, 20:04

i rate this one Tongues i had my nearly 6 year hes not broken it

Steve

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 14 2012, 20:11

I know, a lot of them are great. I've got one that even Dempsey hasn't snapped! But I think if he really took a sudden pull at it, it would be hard put to resist!

Back to top Go down

Post by Taryn Tue Feb 14 2012, 20:48

well.... so far so good with mine Big Grin
Taryn
Taryn

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Pado Tue Feb 14 2012, 21:04

Last edited by Pado on Sat Mar 03 2012, 03:02; edited 1 time in total

Pado
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
flexi lead. yay or nay? Top_ra10

Status Status :

Male
Dog Gender(s) :
Support total : 19

Back to top Go down

Post by jshrew Tue Feb 14 2012, 21:41

Well I just found a Flexi Maxi for £17.99 (inc postage) on Mr Pets and have invested for my 'study week' next week as dog walking is much more preferable to essay writing and planning a venture to a beach if the weather plays ball
jshrew
jshrew

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Ledger and Maple
Dog(s) Ages : 7 and 2
Dog Gender(s) : Male and Female
Support total : 209

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 15 2012, 08:52

Caryll wrote:
shakespearesdog wrote:

Dempsey doesn't go up to dogs either, but you'd be surprised how many numpties allow their dogs to come running up to Dempsey without checking first! Baaaaad mistake! Big Grin

This drives me up the wall....i get sooo angry! To be honest if kaos is off lead and so is another dog then i dont get to bothered by other owners allowing thier dogs to come over as 1. kaos is good with other dogs so i dont have to be on edge 2. although i dont agree i can see why people would assume he is friendly if he is off lead. What REALLY gets my goat is people allowing thier dogs to bound up 2 Ty when he's onlead! I spend half my time shouting at other owners to get thier dogs away from him as he doesnt like other dogs. The other day a oldish lady was walking a couple of cross breeds, i had Ty on lead by my self, they came racing over sniffing him etc etc Ty was being really good and not reacting, i was shouting at the woman to get the dogs away and she said "oh they dont listen 2 a word i say, they just do as they please" i was like if u dont get them away he WILL attack them and she said "well maybe they will learn then, anyway i think ur over reacting he looks fine to me" bearing in mind i was crouched down with him holding his head and pushing these other dogs away. In the end i though sod it and stood up to walk away and Ty went for the dogs....what else could i do? Then the woman was highly offended and stormed off. I get it all the time people allowing thier dogs to wander up to Ty, its like he's on a lead and he is on it for a reason *iss off!

Back to top Go down

Post by Andy Wed Feb 15 2012, 08:53

Steve wrote:flexi lead. yay or nay? Smycz-FLEXI-automatyczna-comfort-compact-3-%5Blarge%5D-czarna.600x400

Thats the one I use, but with a secondary line so the brake mechanism dosent take the load when reeled right in and control is needed Wink
Andy
Andy

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 15 2012, 09:09

blaze wrote:This drives me up the wall....i get sooo angry! To be honest if kaos is off lead and so is another dog then i dont get to bothered by other owners allowing thier dogs to come over as 1. kaos is good with other dogs so i dont have to be on edge 2. although i dont agree i can see why people would assume he is friendly if he is off lead. What REALLY gets my goat is people allowing thier dogs to bound up 2 Ty when he's onlead! I spend half my time shouting at other owners to get thier dogs away from him as he doesnt like other dogs. The other day a oldish lady was walking a couple of cross breeds, i had Ty on lead by my self, they came racing over sniffing him etc etc Ty was being really good and not reacting, i was shouting at the woman to get the dogs away and she said "oh they dont listen 2 a word i say, they just do as they please" i was like if u dont get them away he WILL attack them and she said "well maybe they will learn then, anyway i think ur over reacting he looks fine to me" bearing in mind i was crouched down with him holding his head and pushing these other dogs away. In the end i though sod it and stood up to walk away and Ty went for the dogs....what else could i do? Then the woman was highly offended and stormed off. I get it all the time people allowing thier dogs to wander up to Ty, its like he's on a lead and he is on it for a reason *iss off!

Carly, I so know where you're coming from! I get it all the time, and even the size of Dempsey doesn't put them off. This whole "Oh, it'll do them good to get told off" really gets to me as well, because it'll be my dog that's to blame if one of them gets injured! When I'm anywhere near other dogs I either take hold of Dempsey's collar or I put him on lead, but it makes no difference at all to some people!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next