how to get a puppy to sleep on their ow,

+2
Steve
jackie
6 posters

Go down

how to get a puppy to sleep on their ow,  Empty how to get a puppy to sleep on their ow,

Post by jackie Sat Nov 27 2010, 10:56

Hi Im new to this site, Ive got a 6 week old male staff called kofy, we have only had him just under a week and I was wondering if anymore has any advice as to get him to sleep on his own, coz at the moment he and me are sleeping on a beanbag, everytime we put him on his bed he sleeps for a while and then crys and for such a little thing its loud. PLEASE CAN ANYMORE HELP ME !!!!! ~angry

jackie
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

how to get a puppy to sleep on their ow,  Empty Re: how to get a puppy to sleep on their ow,

Post by Steve Sat Nov 27 2010, 11:00

he young just left his family Sad time will sort that out, i bet hes missing his litter mates and mum

Steve
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Male
Support total : 1443

https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com

Back to top Go down

how to get a puppy to sleep on their ow,  Empty Re: how to get a puppy to sleep on their ow,

Post by Guest Sat Nov 27 2010, 11:02

are you using a crate as it makes it soooooooooo much easier.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Nov 27 2010, 11:07

put a hot water bottle wrapped in a towel in his bed, hes missing the comfort and warmth that he got from his mother and siblings this will mimic the affect of been with his litter

Back to top Go down

Post by kerrie_fitzpatrick Sat Nov 27 2010, 12:52

Harley was the same but he was 8 weeks when we got him, we kept him in a crate in my room so I was close by and had a heat mat in there to keep him warm and padded out with throws and towels after 2 nights he was sleeping fine on his own. Try not to attend to him with every cry you will soon realise what cries are for attention and what ones mean he really needs something it takes time but Kofy will get there soon.
kerrie_fitzpatrick
kerrie_fitzpatrick
Regular Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Regular Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Nov 27 2010, 14:09

How come you got him at 5 weeks? That's so young, I'm not surpeised he's crying!

Try a warm hot water bottle, securely wrapped & leave a loud ticking clock near him, or a radio on soft.

Crate training can make things a lot easier as they feel safe & secure in them.

Back to top Go down

Post by Hayley109 Sat Nov 27 2010, 14:30

i've heard the clock works and a heat pad/ well wrapped up water bottle. I'm going to try these when i bring Logan to his new home. And be strong.....i'll have to try not to go to him if/when he cries!
Hayley109
Hayley109

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Logan
Dog Gender(s) : Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Nov 27 2010, 16:42

Hayley Logan looks class love Brindle and white dogs

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Nov 27 2010, 18:08

[quote="Hayley109"]i've heard the clock works and a heat pad/ well wrapped up water bottle. I'm going to try these when i bring Logan to his new home. And be strong.....i'll have to try not to go to him if/when he cries

yes the clock works a treat, going on my experience, it worked very well

Back to top Go down

Post by jackie Sun Nov 28 2010, 15:41

bigwazza wrote:are you using a crate as it makes it soooooooooo much easier.

Hi we have a crate, but when we put him in it, hes not in there long and start to cry we have tried leaving him in there, but we feel crual as he is only 6 weeks old

jackie

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Hayley109 Sun Nov 28 2010, 17:13

Marty wrote:Hayley Logan looks class love Brindle and white dogs

Thanks Marty! He's quite distinctive cos on the back of his neck (vertically) its half white and half brindle!! Cant wait to pick him up and it'll be interesting to see if any of the tips work for us. I've already decided to use the clock from my bedroom as its small yet ticks a treat!
Hayley109
Hayley109

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Logan

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Nov 28 2010, 20:24

As others said,a hot water bottle and a clock to mimick the mothers heartbeat works great.Thats what i used with Cairo.They do get better,dont stress too much.It will get easier!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Nov 28 2010, 21:16

Try a nice big teddy bear of cushion in his crate, I found that helped with my pup.

x

Back to top Go down

Post by buddha-maison Mon Dec 27 2010, 16:44

I let my little staff pup, buddha in my room for the first 2/3 weeks when we first got him and then had him on his own bed in the hallway with my t shirt next to him so he had the scent of me around him and it worked like a charm and now he loves sleepin on his own with nothing but his toys after a further 3 weeks and is doing brilliantly Smile

buddha-maison

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Buddha-Maison

Back to top Go down

Post by Nosipho Fri Dec 31 2010, 12:25

Unfortunately the only thing that fixes this is; being cruel to be kind Sad

You have to lock him in another room/crate with a hot water bottle, ticking clock, and some teddies and just ignore him. He will kick up a right fuss and will probably scream til you think his little lungs will burst! but trust me it'll work and every night he'll imporve no end (within about a week he should stop completely!)
Nosipho
Nosipho

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Skibadee, Tali, Kali-Mist, Nugget and Meg
Dog(s) Ages : 25/8/2005 - 01/10/2008 - 01/08/2012 - 23/10/2013992
Dog Gender(s) : All Girlies
Support total : 191

http://www.nosiphostaffords.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down