How much sleep for a 12 week old puppy?

4 posters

Go down

How much sleep for a 12 week old puppy? Empty How much sleep for a 12 week old puppy?

Post by julespercules Sun Sep 02 2012, 11:08

Hi all, very worried owner/mum today. My little puppy tash after weeks of hoping she'd calm down and not be so boisterous. Today she is calm, too calm. Didn't eat her breakfast this morning, i use dried food and she doesn't always eat it if i dont add a bit of meat or something to make it tastier so not too worried by that, poos yesterday were slightly loose but not too bad so thats why she's just having dry with nothing added to it.

Woke up at 5.30am this morning for a wee, i then put her back in her cage where she cried but i decided to ignore, just as she went quiet my son woke up and started messing around hence tash started crying again, at 6.15 went downstairs and let her out, she was lying on me on the sofa, quite calm, but not sleeping. my hubby came down and she went slightly crazy but not like previous days and then when he left for work at 9am he put her in her crate as i was in the shower, she went to sleep and is still asleep now at 11am. Should i be worried or do you think she is just completely knackered.

She has not slept much these past days as she tends to fall asleep on the sofa but we have two little kids who run about like lunatics so maybe she isnt getting enough sleep and just putting her in her crate has helped this.

What do you think? am i being over anxious or not?

Jules worried
julespercules
julespercules
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
How much sleep for a 12 week old puppy? Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : tash
Dog(s) Ages : 18 months
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 25

Back to top Go down

How much sleep for a 12 week old puppy? Empty Re: How much sleep for a 12 week old puppy?

Post by Guest Sun Sep 02 2012, 11:11

I wouldn't worry too much. They sleep alot as a pup and she could be just a little off. If she continues to not want to eat or stops drinking or wanting to play than you might want to see a vet.

Back to top Go down

How much sleep for a 12 week old puppy? Empty Re: How much sleep for a 12 week old puppy?

Post by julespercules Sun Sep 02 2012, 11:17

Thats what i thought, i reckon she's just exhausted. Will definitely keep an eye on her. On the plus side getting lots of housework done.

Thanks

Jules
julespercules
julespercules

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Sep 02 2012, 11:19

Probably just sleepy. Loki is a bit older but he still takes a little nap in the morning/afternoon everyday, so it sounds normal to me, just keep an eye on if anything else changes.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Sep 02 2012, 11:20

Tommy will sleep for England (4 1/2 months), if he's not walking or in the Garden he is normally sleeping somewhere so wouldn't worry too much unless there are other signs sush as drinking and eating habit changes etc

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Sun Sep 02 2012, 11:31

Agree with all above, they do tend to be quite sleepy at that age if not jumping around like a crazy frog.

Perhaps just having a lazy day, make the most of it.
Kathy
Kathy
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by Girly Sun Sep 02 2012, 11:34

Jelly is 7 months now, took her for a walk and run around this morning and she will likely sleep until her next walk/lunch around 3. They sleep a lot as pups, yes, but they seem to go from sleepy pups to lazy dogs quickly LOL
Girly
Girly

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Jellybean
Dog(s) Ages : born 6 Feb 2012
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 46

Back to top Go down

Post by julespercules Sun Sep 02 2012, 15:29

Well i am pleased to announce that pain in the backside tash is back after her mammoth sleep and i couldnt be happier. Must have been tired.

Thanks for all your kind words, just needed someone else to tell me she was fine.

Jules
julespercules
julespercules

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Sep 02 2012, 17:47

Can I just say that she should be given somewhere quiet to escape to when your kids are running riot! No criticism intended - I've got 2 kids so I know what it's like. Pups need to be able to crash out at a moment's notice.

Back to top Go down

Post by Jackieb Sun Sep 02 2012, 17:59

In the early weeks I would pop my pup in his crate close the door and he would have a good sleep, I think u can tell when they need a bit of peace ! I have 4 kids age 5,8,10,12 so all sorts going on lol

The only other thing I can think of, ur pup has maby just had the 2nd jabs ? So could be feeling a bit rough. Other than that, so long as eating, drinking, wee n pooping normal, dont worry too much x
Jackieb
Jackieb
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Diesel & Tank
Dog(s) Ages : Diesel - May 2011. Tank - March 2012
Dog Gender(s) : Girl & Boy
Support total : 245

Back to top Go down

Post by julespercules Sun Sep 02 2012, 21:00

She has a crate and used to take herself off there when tired but has now taken to sleeping on the sofa on someone. She has a respite place, just choses not to use it. have now started to put her in it when she seems tired.

jules
julespercules
julespercules

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down