Night time behaviour

3 posters

Go down

Night time behaviour Empty Night time behaviour

Post by Guest Mon Feb 06 2012, 12:36

Well, the last couple of months we have settled into a night routine which ends with Vlad in his crate asleep when we go to bed. Whether it's because my husband is on nights or because he feels the need for more attention, Vlad decided to have a few barks. After a couple of barks first I thought he may need to go to the toilet, so I quietly go down the hall to find him starting to settle. I didn't want to chance it, so I took him outside to se if he needed to go... a couple of minutes passed and he just sat my feet for a fuss or wanted me to play... after 11pm is not play time! So straight back inside to his bed. I just said "bed" and he looked at me all sad... I hate that look... it makes me just want to cuddle! Now he is letting out occasional whimpering. Am I awful for ignoring it? He was actually very naughty this morning and for the first time he looked as though he knew he'd done the wrong thing... he was put outside and we ignored him for a few minutes, I went out and he walked over calmly with his little head down (like he was saying sorry) sat down on my feet and when I patted him, he looked up and I could tell he knew then he went back to his playful self. Is he still boundary pushing? Am I being mean?

Back to top Go down

Night time behaviour Empty Re: Night time behaviour

Post by janey Mon Feb 06 2012, 13:23

Your not being mean at all. Your totally right to ignore the whinning and barking from the crate, if you pander to him he will associate that barking=attention. I doubt it will last very long TBH.

Now the sad eyes is a totally different thing, thats when you need to be strong and not give in Laughing as hard as it is with those sorrowfull eyes staring back at you!! Xx

janey
janey
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Feb 06 2012, 13:57

Janey is right, you should ignore him, as long as he has been to the loo before he goes to bed, otherwise you will be doing for ever.

I know the feeling regarding cuddles i feel so mean sometimes

Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by thepack Mon Feb 06 2012, 17:50

He is just pushing boundaries hun

My 3 all tried it at some point but you have to be strong and stick it out.
They quickly learnt I wasnt going to come back down the stairs once the lights had gone off.

Stick with it hun

thepack
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Support total : 12

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Feb 06 2012, 22:20

Agree with all you are not being mean for ignoring him as hard as it is

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Feb 06 2012, 22:45

yeah we had a few nights when Russell was getting older when he would scratch at the door or come around to the bedroom window and whimper (I used to let him in the window from outside) but it passed within a few days of ignoring him.

its hard at first because they haven't done it since they were little and you feel like there's something wrong!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 07 2012, 08:08

Thanks... he ended up whimpering for about 45 minutes! I had to get up at 5.30 this morning, and he's such a lazy bugger... he'd sleep most of the morning if you let him! It's hard because we want his inside time to be a positive and calm time (he's outside during the day and inside of an evening and night) It's hard work training him... but his crate is his bed, and he sometimes bypasses a cuddle with me when he comes in and just goes straight to his crate!!! I call him out because I miss him when I'm at work and I want a cuddle! But last night... I just hope there isn't a repeat! It's a tough call, because if he barks while he's in, it usually means he needs to go to the toilet... so I can't risk not letting him out if he barks can I?

Back to top Go down

Post by Rob Tue Feb 07 2012, 22:23

Provided its genuine!

As others have said, if you go each time there is a bark, the dog will learn from this and continue.

Unless there are health issues, or an evening walk / toilet break was missed, there is no reason for a dog to need to go toilet during the night, bode was going all night from about 11 - 12 weeks when she was in her crate, she no longer sleeps in her crate, just in her bed, but we put the water bowl up before we go to sleep.

You'll get there, tough love!! Lol
Rob
Rob
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Bode
Dog(s) Ages : 23/09/2011
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 7

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 08 2012, 08:32

I thought the same... he has never barked at night for the toilet. He usually just sleeps from the moment he gets in his bed until we get up of a morning for work! He didn't do it last night, so fingers crossed he's not going to continue it!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 08 2012, 11:18

so he's been inside for an hour and a half and asleep for most of it! SNORING! and it's 10.15pm here!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down