Scared of men / night time/time of day

3 posters

Go down

Scared of men / night time/time of day Empty Scared of men / night time/time of day

Post by kathie450 Mon Mar 12 2012, 13:34

I know I keep going on about the same old thing with Elwood, BUT I think he has a problem with men, the dark and at a specific time of day he goes nuts. When my OH is here on his own with him he tries to nip,barks,howls and is generally a nuisance especially at bed time with not settling. I did think my OH wasn`t firm enough with him but I have changed my mind after seeing him with Elwood this morning, through the window! Elwood was barking and being a very naughty boy but just engaging with OH at all, but when I came in he was a different dog. He calmed down and came and sat next to me and was quite relaxed.OH says that when I`m not here Elwood does`nt really want to have much to do with him even though OH tries to call him or do any disiplining he ignores him. I`m just wondering if he may have had trouble in the past with men and problems at a certain time of night. I don`t really have any issues with Elwood when I am at home with him, it`s just my OH that does.
kathie450
kathie450
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Elwood
Dog(s) Ages : 3/3/11
Dog Gender(s) : naughty boy
Support total : 9

Back to top Go down

Scared of men / night time/time of day Empty Re: Scared of men / night time/time of day

Post by Guest Mon Mar 12 2012, 13:53

It's possible but he should bond with your OH if he is involved in training, walking and feeding. If there was an issue with men specifically he would most likely act that way around your OH whether you were there or not

Back to top Go down

Scared of men / night time/time of day Empty Re: Scared of men / night time/time of day

Post by shakespearesdog Mon Mar 12 2012, 14:14

Sorry I don't know much about your dog, is he a rescue?
The people that bred Romeo were black and when he was a puppy he would run up to every black person he saw-it was very embarrassing!
Something may have happened in his past that has made him wary of men. I would have your boyfriend feed him and make sure he takes him on lots of walks, that way he won't see him as a threat. Your boyfriend shouldn't do any 'disciplining' he should work on being kind to him and try to build a bond with him. He should never raise his voice to him or -God forbid- hit him. Every time he comes home from work he should give Elwood a treat or a toy.

shakespearesdog
Banned
Banned

Status Status :

Female
Dog(s) Ages :
Support total : 55

Back to top Go down

Post by Oclasticon Mon Mar 12 2012, 14:25

Does your OH take him for a walk?
A good long walk, 2 or 3 miles if possible is the very best way of bonding with a dog.He doesn't have to talk to him or encourage him, just walk him, travelling, trudge trudge trudge.
Also it may help if your OH ignores him deliberately at home for a while.
If Elwood is nervous of your OH, he will gain confidence if their relationship is less intense.
Intense eye contact especially can be intimidating to a nervous or unsure dog, especially if your OH feels a bit frustrated or annoyed at the dog's stand-offish behaviour.
Elwood will feel that, he'll read it in him but he won't understand why your OH feels that way.
If your OH is quiet, avoids direct eye contact and puts himself where Elwood can come to him when he's ready, this may help. Your OH can also make himself more attractive to Elwood by carrying some of Elwood's favourite treats, prefeably smelly ones, but make Elwood work for it. Just give him the scent at first, then a little tase if he waits and pays attention to your OH..
If your OH gets to stroke Elwood, much better if he strokes under the chin. Raising the head adds to a dog's confidence. A hand over the top of an already unsure dog's head will make him lower it and feel even more insecure.

Oclasticon
Regular Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Regular Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Rosie
Dog(s) Ages : 9
Dog Gender(s) : Spayed female.
Support total : 1

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Mar 12 2012, 23:09

if he's a rescue it could be the bad person that had him was a man. our rescue lottie is frightened of the dark too so i dont think thats naything drastic i just think its down the lack of light for visibility so things make them jump more. time of day. without knowing your dog and its back ground i dont realky know sorry just thought i would tell you yours isnt the only one frightened of the dark

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down