Housetraining confusion

Go down

Housetraining confusion Empty Housetraining confusion

Post by Guest Wed Nov 24 2010, 11:27

Hey guys,

While my dad and his wife have Charlie, they are paper training him cos they don't want him out in the garden cos alot of stray moggies go in there and they don't want him catching anything from any unvaccinated cats. I normally don't encourage paper or pad training cos I think it just confuses them when you want them to start doing it outside. I had planned to take Charlie straight outside for his toileting when I get him home but I'm worried about confusing him cos he's been using paper at my dad's. But I also don't want him to get into the habit of going on the paper then refusing to go outside - I've known that to happen a fair few times. Really dreading the housetraining bit. Any advice?

Back to top Go down

Housetraining confusion Empty Re: Housetraining confusion

Post by Guest Wed Nov 24 2010, 11:32

just keep paper training him, if you change it now you will only confuse the dog, everytime hes goes to the toilet on the paper, keep moving the paper closer to the door and then eventually outside the door, then when he wants to go to the toilet he sit at the back door to go and do his business

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Nov 24 2010, 11:36

Thanks Shane. That's what i thought would be best. I don't want to confuse him but I do definitely want him to learn to do his business outside eventually. I think I'll start off with the paper closeish to the door ayway and just put him on it whenever he's showing signs that he wants to go. Hopefully it won't be too long before I have him doing it outside. This weather aint gonna help with tying to get him to go outside tho!Sad

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Nov 24 2010, 11:40

no it wont be long at all paper training is one of the best known methods for house breaking your dog, and they will pic it up in know time. just give him plenty of praise and attention when he goes to the toilet on the paper.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Nov 24 2010, 11:43

I will do. Gonna practise my best high pitced happy voice for him Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Nov 24 2010, 12:29

Yes, I'd keep doing what he's used to. You'll only confuse him otherwise.

(By the way, dogs can't catch cat illnesses & vice versa.)

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Nov 24 2010, 12:37

Ah if I'd known that I'd've asked my dad just to put him straight outside for housetraining! Ah well, I'll keep up with the paper training now.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Nov 24 2010, 14:16

Don't worry, it isn't a problem, just a different way of doing things! As long as you gradually move the paper towards the door, and eventually outside, you won't have a problem.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down