New Member - Considering a Staffy. Have questions.

+6
linzy
steve76
gem
Kathy
janey
Gee
10 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Smile New Member - Considering a Staffy. Have questions.

Post by Gee Wed Jan 25 2012, 20:52

First topic message reminder :

Hello all,

Little background on myself firstly!

I am not a first time dog owner, had several dogs when I was a child and a couple of years ago my beloved Sam passed away after 12 years. He was not a pedigree of any sort. So, I basically know what to expect from owning a dog, the costs, vet bills, 2x daily walks a day (minimum) etc.

Now, my main concern is that I no longer live in a home with parents and brothers etc, but by myself (I'm 28!) and work Monday to Friday, 7:30am till 4:00pm. Previously in my old household there was always somebody around at some point and 'Sam' wouldn't be left alone for long times very frequently at all.

So, basically would it be acceptable to leave any dog by itself throughout the day within the hours I have advised above? I have searched, including on this forum and can see that some people work 9 to 5's and their dogs seem to be fine as long as they have some form of stimulation, such as a radio on and chewy toys etc.

I have also read that it is best to work in stages leading up to longer periods by firstly leaving for 1hr, then 2hrs, then 3hrs and so on. It would be a puppy I would get and would be taking a few weeks of work to spend time with the puppy and start training and such things at the start.

I am aware that they can get bored and chew a lot, however I have a large basement area which I would be willing to fully carpet and make habitable and comfortable for my dog for times I am away.

My girlfriend also is at mine 3-4x a week and would be there even more if I got a Staffy as she adores them!

Sorry if this has been asked 1,000 times already, as above..I did do some searching but would like some solid answers Smile

Thank you.

Gee
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Male
Support total : 34

Back to top Go down

Smile Re: New Member - Considering a Staffy. Have questions.

Post by Guest Sun Jan 29 2012, 23:14

Gee wrote:Thanks for the replies.
Hmmm, when it comes to concerns with The potential of horrible fights breaking out and the potential of huge damage to furniture due to their strength, would it be best to avoid a bully breed altogether? Sad
No matter what dog I got, it would be loved all the same bit there are no specific ones that interest me at the moment apart for a staffy / staffy X.
I know any dog can be destructive etc but of course certain breeds have certain tendencies too.
Basically I dont want any dog I own hurting my brothers or ripping my mothers house apart lol

If you take precautions, none of the above will happen! I know that gem has two dogs that have always got along well, and are left alone together. BUT, I also knew someone who had two bitches who had grown up together & were best of friends. They were always left alone together wothout a problem, but one day something must have started an argument between them and the lady came home to two comatose dogs & blood everywhere! It isn't normally too difficult to seperate two dogs while you're out of the house - just shutting one in a room & leaving the other one out would be all you need.

As to the chewing etc, staffs are nowhere near as bad as EBTs, believe me! Laughing

If you get another male you could have problems with dominance issues. Then again, you may not. All I'm saying is that I would personally not leave two dogs together when I'm out.

Back to top Go down

Post by Gee Sun Jan 29 2012, 23:21

Splitting them up shouldn't be an issue. One in the kitchen, one in the living room.

Should things be okay on walks on and off the lead with 2 dogs of the same sex?

These questions make me sound like a complete newbie, I had a male mongrel for 12 years and never got into scraps unless another dog attacked. He got on great with both sexes. Just has me thinking now what if something went wrong while off the lead and they had a scrap. Don't think a Labrador would come out too well in a scrap with a bully.

I know these things can happen with any dog, any breed, anytime but bullies are so tough and strong, things could turn ugly fast!

Think I'm overreacting and worrying too much now?

Gee

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jan 29 2012, 23:28

Walks, on & off lead should be fine as long as you are aware of both dogs' body language, but that would be the same whatever the breed.

Just keep an eye on them & if the play starts to get too intense, the put them both on a lead & walk them calmly for a while.

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Mon Jan 30 2012, 04:53

Wow! Lots of good stuff. Everyone has different experiences but it is always good to see the possibilities. I have two males and they adore eachother. Only a couple pillows have been destroyed but I was my fault really. I also think 12 months is ideal. Still puppyish but through the house breaking, teething and terrible twos. The down side is no baby pics to remember and pups are so darned cute, but until I can retire, I'll be sticking with the older pups if at all possible (and my oh stays home). My dogs do very well on their own but at the moment I'll only leave both out after excersise and for an hour max (I plan to work up from there). When I need to leave longer we crate Frosty. I love having a couple dogs with my family (we have 4 kids as well). I work full time but can occasionally work from home and come home for lunch most days and the wife is here a lot of the time. You can make it work, and it sounds like you are aware of the sacrifices necessary. Hopefully you and your gf find the right one for you both!
Ben
Ben

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Frosty, Piglette
Dog(s) Ages : 3, 5
Dog Gender(s) : Male, Female
Support total : 325

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jan 30 2012, 09:53

Caryll wrote:
Gee wrote:Thanks for the replies.
Hmmm, when it comes to concerns with The potential of horrible fights breaking out and the potential of huge damage to furniture due to their strength, would it be best to avoid a bully breed altogether? Sad
No matter what dog I got, it would be loved all the same bit there are no specific ones that interest me at the moment apart for a staffy / staffy X.
I know any dog can be destructive etc but of course certain breeds have certain tendencies too.
Basically I dont want any dog I own hurting my brothers or ripping my mothers house apart lol

If you take precautions, none of the above will happen! I know that gem has two dogs that have always got along well, and are left alone together. BUT, I also knew someone who had two bitches who had grown up together & were best of friends. They were always left alone together wothout a problem, but one day something must have started an argument between them and the lady came home to two comatose dogs & blood everywhere! It isn't normally too difficult to seperate two dogs while you're out of the house - just shutting one in a room & leaving the other one out would be all you need.

As to the chewing etc, staffs are nowhere near as bad as EBTs, believe me! Laughing

Agree with Caryll I would seperate them if you are going to be gone. It's always better to be safe IMHO.

If you get another male you could have problems with dominance issues. Then again, you may not. All I'm saying is that I would personally not leave two dogs together when I'm out.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jan 30 2012, 15:29

..my 2 boys get on well together...there is a very big age gap though, and Jethro ( my oldie ) has always loved other dogs..and the desexing has gotten rid of the overload of testosterone ! Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Gee Mon Jan 30 2012, 18:12

Thanks for all the replies, you have all been really helpful.

My brother has agreed to call down at least 3x a week to walk my dog around midday in exchange for using my gym equipment lol.

Gee

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Rob Mon Jan 30 2012, 18:50

We got Bode at 9 weeks.

I took her to work with me, until the christmas break, wasnt ideal, but then we never planned to get her in the first place.

Its been too cold to leave her in my van, and I'm too worried about her being stolen, she has stayed at home since christmas with the exception here and there when my girlfriend can take her to work herself.

Bode is now just over 4 months.

She is walked in the morning before my girlfriend goes to work.

left from about 08:30 until anything from 11 am to 12:30 (during that time our nieghbour pops in, but just to take our poodle to her house as she always has, the poodle has separation anxiety)

from about 13:30 Bode is left until about 4pm.

Its not ideal, but its the best we can do..

She has the kitchen to herself with water available, lots of different toys each day to keep her amused, and the radio on (we use radio stations with more talking rather than drum and bass music lol)

In the evenings I spend alot of time with her to make up for it, playing games with toys, learning new tricks with treats, and puppy classes on a thursday, as well as practicing what we learn on other days.

Bode has had a chew at the skirting board once, and once only, she was told "no" and hung her head.. (we were at home at the time..) its all about the boredom!!!

Weekends were here all day.

Be prepared to get up a little early, go for a morning walk before you leave for work, encourage your brother to go round as often as possible, or a neighbour...?

I dissagree with the post regarding 5 minutes per month for walking.

If Bode only walked that much, she would be climbing the walls!!!

She will happily go out for at least an hour for up to two running around, full of energy, also, if you intend to have your dog well trained on a lead, good with recall etc, your going to need lots of time practicing, 20 minutes wont cut it!

btw, I am by no means an xpert, Ive learned what I know in a few months, Ive puchased books, and read so so so much on these forums as well as the help from the puppy trainer.
Rob
Rob
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Bode
Dog(s) Ages : 23/09/2011
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 7

Back to top Go down

Post by Pado Wed Feb 01 2012, 19:42

Pado
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
New Member - Considering a Staffy. Have questions. - Page 2 Top_ra10

Status Status :

Male
Dog Gender(s) :
Support total : 19

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2