appollo13102000
shakespearesdog
jshrew
flame
janey
scott61985
15 posters

Go down

how many hours are your dogs on there own Empty how many hours are your dogs on there own

Post by scott61985 Sun Jan 22 2012, 17:47

just thought i would ask people this question about how many hours are your dogs alone and how much would you say is fair and are people single and have a dog cheers
scott61985
scott61985
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : blade and zena
Dog Gender(s) : male and female
Support total : 3

Back to top Go down

how many hours are your dogs on there own Empty Re: how many hours are your dogs on there own

Post by Guest Sun Jan 22 2012, 18:02

well i have been off work for 2 years now and we got Lemmy February 2011 and Lottie October 2011 so they are very rarely in the hous eon their own and if they are its only for a matter of about half an hour at a time i think the longest was an hour.

Back to top Go down

how many hours are your dogs on there own Empty Re: how many hours are your dogs on there own

Post by janey Sun Jan 22 2012, 18:03

I'm single and work full time.

My mum has her 3 days a week so she is on her own for literally an hour and I have a walker (best friend) who has her the other 2 days I am at work, so really my answer is never.

But.......

Mums off on holiday soon and I have to work so she will be left from 9 till 5.30 and I only get 30mins for lunch but am able to pop home for that at least. I am slightly concerned but thing she'll be fine. They adapt so well but she isn't crated.
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by flame Sun Jan 22 2012, 18:04

hey

i am single, althou i have a 16 yr son and 7yrs daughter so my son helps me with the walks and her not being on her own so much etc. i would say i have left her no more than 3 hours on her own. she is a good dog thou. i tried and make it so when i need to go out i do so when my son is home. and she is left on her own downstairs of a night create door open with access to the Kitchen and living room. she was coming to up to my room of a night, but i think that might of been the cause of an issues we had so she is back to downstairs now. it also gives river some her time without any kids about and know the doors are shut so she can proper relax..

i dont really know whats fair i suppose it depends on your dog. i will say thou River craves human attention and needs loads of re assurance and cuddles when left on her own. i dont think its fair to leave them for long periods every day. but i dont really know, i understand staffys are people dogs and they need direction and stimulation and love i dont think they can get that if they are on there own all the time. however we all have to work i suppose i am fortunate my son is about while not at college. so it kind of works out..
flame
flame
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
how many hours are your dogs on there own Top_ra10

Status Status :

Dogs Name(s) : River
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 13

Back to top Go down

Post by jshrew Sun Jan 22 2012, 18:14

Single dog owner here apart from the odd few hours here and there when I go to the gym/go shopping I work close to where my parents live so on early and late shifts he stays with them and on nights (2 in every 10 days) he stays home and sleeps though and has his last walk about 9pm and is settled til I get home about 7.30am although if I was home he would sleep longer than that.

I am very lucky that he does just settle and doesn't even appear to touch his toys through the night I do leave the tv on til it goes to standby and I hide kibble and treats around the room but I expect he scavenges them all as soon as I leave Big Grin
jshrew
jshrew
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Moderator
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Moderator

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Ledger and Maple
Dog(s) Ages : 7 and 2
Dog Gender(s) : Male and Female
Support total : 209

Back to top Go down

Post by scott61985 Sun Jan 22 2012, 18:26

a few people like me in some ways. ive asked this because ive been off work since november since the split so ive been with dogs all time. its my first night back at work tonight. il be working 10 till 6 four nights a week for a while. iam feel bad that they are going to be on there own and people are saying its not fair on them so thats why i asked. il take them out before i go work and then when i get in. iam sure the dogs will adapt wont they iam a bit worried
scott61985
scott61985

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by shakespearesdog Sun Jan 22 2012, 18:49

I'm single and work full time. I leave the house at 7.30am and i'm generally not back till 7pm. But i still live at home so theres generally someone there. My boy has been left all day and been fine. I take him for a walk before work and he usually sleeps all day on the sofa.
When i got him i was unemployed and then only working a couple of days a week so i was with him almost all the time, its only been from June that i've been working full time. It took him about a month to adjust and hes fine now.
You're very lucky to have two dogs as they'll be company for each other. I'd dearly love to get another dog as a companion for my boy but i'm not allowed. Straight Face Still, at least he has the cat!

shakespearesdog
Banned
Banned

Status Status :

Female
Dog(s) Ages :
Support total : 55

Back to top Go down

Post by appollo13102000 Sun Jan 22 2012, 18:58

well if your leaving them at night they would normally sleep from what 11ish till 6 or 7 anyway so as i see it your technically only leaving them
a couple of hours they wouldnt normally be asleep thumbs up
appollo13102000
appollo13102000

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : ruby/ nigel
Dog(s) Ages : 9 and 7ish
Dog Gender(s) : female/male
Support total : 28

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jan 22 2012, 19:00

Samson is never left more than 2 hours as my mam has him during the day when we are at work

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jan 22 2012, 19:03

As long as they have a really good walk before you leave for work, they should be fine.

Charlie is sometimes left for about 6-8 hours and he's absolutely fine as long as he's had a decent walk before I leave, it's not often that he's left that long though, It's usually about 3-4 hours.

Back to top Go down

Post by Diwrnach Sun Jan 22 2012, 19:15

About 3-4 hours on a Sunday and thats about it, occasionaly a couple of hours in the week.

Most I left her was 8 hours once, she was fine, but wouldnt want to do that very often.

Diwrnach
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by scott61985 Sun Jan 22 2012, 19:29

I dont know if its safe yet to keep zena out of crate i dont know if blade catch her because ive read he still can. I would rather have her out because they sleep togeather would make it a bit better on them both.
scott61985
scott61985

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jan 22 2012, 19:36

I am single but lucky enough to work for myself so can generally choose when I work at clients and for how long I am away. I have a helper that comes in three days a week from 9.00 am till 3.00 pm so tend to do away work then.

There have been 2 or 3 times when I had no choice but to leave him from 9.00 until 6.00pm and he was just fine. Of course the ideal would be if they had someone for company all the time but reality is that this is not always possible. I am sure that as long as the doggies are walked before and after they will still be happy chappies.

Back to top Go down

Post by derbystaff Sun Jan 22 2012, 19:39

9 til 5 everyday except weekends, its more than id prefer but one of them things we both work full time. hes not crated and doesnt cause any damage, i just make sure i give him 2 long walks/runs morning and night
derbystaff
derbystaff

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : bruce
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 4

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jan 22 2012, 20:00

We are very lucky as my wife is a childminder so at home all day normally apart from trips to the shops etc , most she is ever left is 4 hours or so if we go shopping or something but then we get the neighbour to let her out in the garden, and if I'm away for work then my wife takes her for a walk with the kids or my daughter takes her out. Only real problem we have is I am away all week for work then all her walks are on lead at my request

Back to top Go down

Post by scott61985 Sun Jan 22 2012, 20:02

Would it be ok to leave them alone i mean about blade catching her
scott61985
scott61985

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jan 22 2012, 20:54

We only leave Suki for 2-3 hours normally and we make sure she is well exercised first

Back to top Go down

Post by Superbiatch Sun Jan 22 2012, 23:16

Ours is never left alone these days, he goes to 'Grandmas' which is also referred to as Doggy Disney as he loves spending time there. He's there about as much as he is at home but it seems to work and everyone is happy. When she isn't available, we work our jobs around either me being able to nip home at lunch or the other half working from home on those days.

In his younger days though, he did do 8 hours at times with a good walk before I left and after I returned, with no adverse effects.
Superbiatch
Superbiatch
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Zack
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jan 23 2012, 00:13

How long has it been since she started her season?

A season generally only lasts for about 3 weeks, and as Blade has now been done, I don't think there would be a problem.

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Mon Jan 23 2012, 00:29

Mine get left for a few hours in the am and afternoon 3-4 days a week. They do ok on their own but Frosty hates his crate ever since flying. They get two walks a day plus play time. I try to give them a break and not crate Frosty more than 3-4 hrs in a day.
Ben
Ben

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Frosty, Piglette
Dog(s) Ages : 3, 5
Dog Gender(s) : Male, Female
Support total : 325

Back to top Go down

Post by wentzer Mon Jan 23 2012, 00:35

8-9 hours, depending. Daisy is normally really well. I usually work 6am-330pm, and he works weird scheduales sometimes same as me some times night. it all depends. but she doesnt like go for walks in the am. she will go out potty and then come snuggle back to sleep. I do leave her food and water so she has it.
wentzer
wentzer

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Daisy
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 11

Back to top Go down

Post by harlou Mon Jan 23 2012, 15:28

Big Grin We are lucky both selfemployed so olly is with us 24/7 ,wouldnt be without him !
harlou
harlou

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : OLLY
Support total : 12

Back to top Go down

Post by Staffy lover Wed Jan 25 2012, 17:34

I am lucky I work from home. So far the most we have left Pixee is just under a hour, and she got very upset, I think it was cos we did lock her downstairs in the garden room, generally when I go out its for half hour, and she is left the run of the house, but I still worry about how far to trust her. She has been with us for only 3 weeks from blue cross. When she gets upset, she will wee, but not on carpets, its been in the garden room so far, and only cos she was upset. She loves human attention Big Grin
Staffy lover
Staffy lover

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Pixee
Dog(s) Ages : 4 ish
Dog Gender(s) : Bitch
Support total : 214

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Wed Jan 25 2012, 17:40

As both my hubby are at the moment both at home for most of the day it is rare that Rocky is on his own at all.
However we do have to go out sometimes together so our answer is for about 3 hours a day once or twice a week.
Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jan 25 2012, 17:43

As i am currently seeking work my two are never in the house alone for too long, only alone if i have to go out and no one else is in, but lately if im not in my mom is because she's off sick recovering from an op but goes back to work monday so its just me and my dogs again haha .. but when i finally find work, my moms job is 6am-9am and then 3am-6am so they will have someone home at somepoint before i get home Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Taryn Wed Jan 25 2012, 18:19

well i'm single full time worker, so, romeo comes to work with me Big Grin like litterly every where i go. he has been to photo shoots for Elle magazine, tv serives shootings, non fashions shows yet. but when i am in the salon he stays in the staff room Big Grin but i think the longest i have ever left him in his life was 6 hours because i had to go to a meeting and then work at a fashionshow and he was just too little to go to that show, those things are so hetic. but now i have a colapsable crate that i take eveywhere for him. but on avrage, i'd say he spends 4 hours alone every so many days, and its normally at the dead of night and he sleeps. its while i do my night job as supervisor at a store
Taryn
Taryn

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Romeo
Dog(s) Ages : 27.09.2011
Support total : 207

http://tehotassundynamiitti.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down