Don't now what they are

Go down

Don't now what they are  Empty Don't now what they are

Post by Guest Mon Nov 22 2010, 13:26

Milly has got what appears two little sores just at the front of both ears they not even sores really like little scratches, she is fit and well otherwise any suggestions I thought maybe it was because Lady likes to lick her ears??

Back to top Go down

Don't now what they are  Empty Re: Don't now what they are

Post by Guest Mon Nov 22 2010, 14:13

Could be. Try putting a tiny amount of Sudocrem on them & see if it helps. Dogs can't stand the taste (normally) so it should help to stop the licking & give it a chance to heal. If there's no difference in a couple of days, or if it looks like it's getting worse, I'd pop her to the vets.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Nov 22 2010, 14:15

yea it could be mites but i suspect its probably just something of nothing. When kaos was little i used to worry over every little change or mark or whatever that wasnt usually there lol u get over that pretty quickly as they get older but still keep an eye on it but i wouldnt worry lol

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Nov 22 2010, 14:18

mite damage doesn't normally show first in front of the ears. But then, this is a stafford we're talking about! Big Grin

When they're pups you tend to go over the top with every little thing, don't you? But then I always think it's better to be like that than not to care at all!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Nov 22 2010, 14:28

mites are they same as fleas no I might sound thick sorry

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Nov 22 2010, 14:29

memphis had a lovely cotton wool coat when i first got him lol

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Nov 22 2010, 14:31

no mites or tiny tiny things that go in the ears and small places

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Nov 22 2010, 14:32

That's it guys I am totally lost @-)

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Nov 22 2010, 14:32

is there something i can buy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Nov 22 2010, 14:43

before you go buying anything just get a cotton bud dampen with water and gentlely go round the ear and the inside but just round the inside not the ear canal and check for tiny little specks

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Nov 22 2010, 15:13

dont panic!!! Haha Just see how it goes and keep an eye on it if it doesnt seem to be clearing up then check with the vet!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Nov 22 2010, 15:14

ear mites in dogs are not that common their more prevalent in cats and ferrets and even rabbits, as warren said check inside his ear with a piece of damp cotton wool, if its ear mites there will be a dark brown smelley substance on the cotton wool,

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Nov 22 2010, 16:38

shane wrote:ear mites in dogs are not that common their more prevalent in cats and ferrets and even rabbits, as warren said check inside his ear with a piece of damp cotton wool, if its ear mites there will be a dark brown smelley substance on the cotton wool,

ye very true shane my rabbit used to get them every year or so but in the 25+with dogs iv never had them in a dog

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Nov 22 2010, 19:08

bigwazza wrote:
shane wrote:ear mites in dogs are not that common their more prevalent in cats and ferrets and even rabbits, as warren said check inside his ear with a piece of damp cotton wool, if its ear mites there will be a dark brown smelley substance on the cotton wool,

ye very true shane my rabbit used to get them every year or so but in the 25+with dogs iv never had them in a dog

none of my dogs ever had ear mites, but the cats and my ferrets have had them,

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Nov 22 2010, 21:52

MILLY-MOO wrote:mites are they same as fleas no I might sound thick sorry

Mites can't be seen without a microscope & are usually diagnosed by the vet taking skin scrapes. There are different ones, you can get ear mites & the 2 that cause mange (don't panic, it isn't as bad as you think!). The 2 that cause mange are Demodex canis & Sarcoptes scabei canis. Nice long words! All pups are born with a very small amount of Demodex mites which generally don't do them any harm at all & you may never even know they are there. Occasionally, perhaps when the dog has been unwell, the demodex mites multiply & cause hair loss & sometimes an itchiness to the skin. Mild cases will clear up on their own as long as you keep the areas affected clean & dry. Sarcoptic mange is a different matter & can be very nasty, but it is highly unusual for a well looked after pet to get this.

This article is quite informative.....
http://www.dogs.info/healthcare/skinproblems.html

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Nov 22 2010, 22:26

the vet will take a swab from the dogs ear and put it on a slide and look under the microscope, it looks like a dark brown ear wax to the naked eye this is what the vet done to our cat and showed them to me, what horrible little things they are,

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Nov 22 2010, 22:32

after they cleaned out the cats ears they gave it ear drops called canaural, never had the problem again after that

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Nov 23 2010, 07:29

Thanks guys I have had a good look well when I can keep her still and cannot see any wax etc but i was watching her last night and she was scratching there wonder if her nails need clipping the do look like little scratches (i no i am a ott mum).

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Nov 23 2010, 10:14

Could well be scratches, but there might be something causing her to scratch. As I said, if you put a little sudocrem on them it'll take away any irritation & that might be all you need. But if it doesn't start to clear within a couple of days I'd go to the vets.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Nov 23 2010, 18:48

Got some sudocrem Caryll just put it on see how it goes thanks

Back to top Go down

Post by kerrie_fitzpatrick Tue Nov 23 2010, 19:59

Rox had a problem with mites now use Advocate and all is now good
kerrie_fitzpatrick
kerrie_fitzpatrick
Regular Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Regular Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Nov 23 2010, 20:52

I used to call sudocrem 'magic cream'. I originally bought it as a nappy area cream for my son (he'll hate me for saying that!) but I found it was really good for most little cuts & scrapes. Then I used it on a sore spot on my staffie's tail & it worked wonders! The good thing about it, is that it's mild & doesn't seem to cause a reaction in a dog's skin like some do.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Nov 23 2010, 21:04

kerrie_fitzpatrick wrote:Rox had a problem with mites now use Advocate and all is now good

Kerrie Milly was treated with Advocate 2 weeks ago at vets so I am hoping they are just were she has scratched herself Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Nov 23 2010, 22:13

ah well if she was treated with advocate she definitely aint got mites now

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Nov 24 2010, 07:26

Thanks Shane

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Nov 24 2010, 08:44

milly moo are you sure it was advocate at 8 weeks as it not suppost to be sutable for pups under 12weeks ???
then again your vet will know best.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Nov 24 2010, 10:56

yeh it defo was she put it on back of her neck at her 10 week injection

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Dec 04 2010, 21:02

How is puppys ears today?.
We have issues here in Oz with flies... OMG we have a zillion of them is summer time...
When Dad and I had the Guard dogs ( G/sheps) we used to get vasoline (petrolium jelly spelling?) and child safe mozzie and fly spray that goes on your skin...
spray the repelant into the jelly to form a thick paste.. then we would smear it all over the out sides of their ears and any hot spots they had on their base of their tails.. this also seemed to stop the other dogs from taking a chew when they were playing...
I dont know if you guys have issues over there with flies and nasties like here is Australia but that stuff worked a treat.
i even mix it up and smear it on the kids when we are camping if there are sand flies and mozzies out Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down