how to housetrain my 2 year old bitch staffie Roxie

5 posters

Go down

Crying how to housetrain my 2 year old bitch staffie Roxie

Post by Caitlin&Roxie Sun Jan 15 2012, 12:37

I am a new owner of the breed and im loving having my little bundle of joy run around the house but she is weeing and poo'ing on my cream carpet!! my house is really starting to smell like the kennels and im getting so frustrated. i dont shout at her as i have never caught her in the act and know its wrong to shout at at dog if its not in the moment. but have given her a stern no after coming across it, she puts her head down as she knows she's wrong. I let her out several times a day in the yard and take her for long walks but as soon as she gets in she'll wee on the carpet. please can someone help me try and stop this.
Caitlin&Roxie
Caitlin&Roxie
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Roxie
Dog Gender(s) : Bitch
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Crying Re: how to housetrain my 2 year old bitch staffie Roxie

Post by Kathy Sun Jan 15 2012, 12:38

Hi & how to housetrain my 2 year old bitch staffie Roxie Welcome

Welcome to the staffordshire bull terrier niceboard. We are pleased you have decided to join us, and hope you enjoy your stay. We hope to see plenty of pictures of your staffordshire bull terriers or any other breed you may have in your household Smile

If you would like to enter your dog(s), puppy(s) or another pet(s) you may have into our Monthly Competition, voting starts on the 20th of every month, if you are lucky your dog maybe placed on our Hall Of Fame page on our website.

Just one last thing before you look around could you please just have a quick look At This Poll, we would love to know how you found us.

Here are some links that will get you started with the website:-

how to housetrain my 2 year old bitch staffie Roxie Icon_arrow Please read the Forum Rules before you start posting.
how to housetrain my 2 year old bitch staffie Roxie Icon_arrow Here are a List of Tutorial & FAQs that will help you around the forum.
how to housetrain my 2 year old bitch staffie Roxie Icon_arrow You can ask for Help here if you are having trouble doing something on the forum.
how to housetrain my 2 year old bitch staffie Roxie Icon_arrow If you have any ideas to improve the forum please let us know Your Feedback Here.
how to housetrain my 2 year old bitch staffie Roxie Icon_arrow We have a Website with alot of information if you would like to view it.
how to housetrain my 2 year old bitch staffie Roxie Icon_arrow Make a Donate to help us to keep us improving our forum and website.
Kathy
Kathy
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Sun Jan 15 2012, 12:39

only way to fix that problem is 2/3 walks per day for 45mins plus each time

Steve

Status Status :

Male
Support total : 1443

https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Sun Jan 15 2012, 12:43

Back to the basics.

Take her out and when she goes lots of praise. And make sure you clean the mess up really thouroughly, it can't still smell or she will continue to do it.

Hiya and welcome from me and Moo Smile
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Scubasteve Sun Jan 15 2012, 12:50

We had this problem when we first got our dog. She came to us a few months back and is nearly 2 now. For the first couple of weeks, she would poo on the kitchen floor. We didn't get her cues to go outside, she wouldn't really let us know. We would take her for a walk each morning and night and out in the garden in the day and she would still rather come home and poo inside. She was kept outside by the previous owner all day so wasn't used to holding on or letting anyone know she needed to go.

It took a few weeks of patience with her, we ignored her accidents. Didn't even tell her no as this is still reprimanding when not caught in the act. She may bow her head but as she will understand she has done wrong but she won't know what it is she has done wrong, so you shouldn't really do this either unless you actually see her going.
We walked her morning and night, took her to areas of grass and stood with her waiting for her to go for a wee/poo. When she did we put a command to it, we use "toilet" and praised her. She soon learned that toilet meant it was time to go and the time it took her to go after being told gradually shortened. But you do have to be prepared to take her out regularly and try her. If she does go put the command with it and use the same command each time.

With the holding on issue, we think she was thrown out in the garden at 6am by the previous owner. She couldn't hold on past 6am, as soon as she heard movement upstairs she had to go. We couldn't even try getting up before her as she would need to go as soon as she heard us. It was a testing few months coming down to an accident every morning.

Now she gets regular walks in the day, an hour twice a day plus time in the garden and has learned to let us know when she wants to go by standing by the back door and whining, she is now able to hold on. Not sure we did anything to assist this except for letting her now she has a routine with walks, food etc and so she knows she will be let out if she needs to go.

And this hardwork paid off as we had a lie in until 8am this morning, but she was busting as soon as I got up bless her!
Scubasteve
Scubasteve

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Tinkerbell
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 34

Back to top Go down

Post by Scubasteve Sun Jan 15 2012, 12:51

Oh and also our last dog was a hard one to toilet train as a pup. He only really cracked it when we pulled up the carpet he was weeing on (rug in the kitchen and thoroughly cleaned it). They tend to go in the same place, and if not cleaned the smell lingers so they repeat the behaviour. We found using washing powder dissolved in warm water worked to bring out the smell.
Scubasteve
Scubasteve

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Tinkerbell
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 34

Back to top Go down

Post by Caitlin&Roxie Sun Jan 15 2012, 12:59

thanks scubasteve. i will try the 'toilet' thing with her this afternoon. we put her out in the yard and sometimes she poo's but other times she'll just run straight back to the door and whine to get in. i will try and say 'have a wee' to her whilst standing at the door but she just hates being outside. her previous owners must have locked her outside for long periods of time.
Caitlin&Roxie
Caitlin&Roxie

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Sun Jan 15 2012, 13:01

She'll get there, but you'll have to be patient. One day it just clicks Xx
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Sun Jan 15 2012, 13:04

a 2 year old who is weeing and poing in the house need extra walks and for longer.

Steve

Status Status :

Male
Support total : 1443

https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Caitlin&Roxie Sun Jan 15 2012, 13:07

i am going to try and get her out as often as i can. she definately needs more time to run around. as she's a rescue dog im still frightenend to let her of the lead around other dogs. she doesnt seem to show aggression she just pulls towards the other dogs. but im worried if i let her off she'll attack another dog. she's very strong although she can walk nicely on a lead. it just takes alot of pulling back and telling her to stop pulling.
Caitlin&Roxie
Caitlin&Roxie

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Sun Jan 15 2012, 13:21

Are using a flexi lead? It could give her more freedom and also boost your confidence Xx
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Caitlin&Roxie Sun Jan 15 2012, 13:34

hi janey, im using a chain lead with a harness. she's snapped three good strong fabric/rope leads clean in half. so i do have a struggle taking her out. she does tend to rip my arm out and if i havent got really thick gloves on she's rip my hands to shreds as im having to use alot of force to stop her walking me. i need to invest in a good strong harness aswell. as the one she has is ill fitted and doesnt let me have full control. someone recommended a head collar but she has a very very small face. and i dont think i'd get one to fit her xx
Caitlin&Roxie
Caitlin&Roxie

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Sun Jan 15 2012, 13:36

Maybe a halti head coller would work for you Xx
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Caitlin&Roxie Sun Jan 15 2012, 13:41

whats a halti head collar? xx
Caitlin&Roxie
Caitlin&Roxie

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Sun Jan 15 2012, 13:56

I don't use one myself but I know that people who have dogs that pull swear by them.

http://www.petsathome.com/shop/halti-dog-head-collar-by-the-company-of-animals-37019

This kinda explains if not I'm sure someone will be on soon that does use them Xx
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jan 15 2012, 17:52

janey wrote:

Back to the basics.

Take her out and when she goes lots of praise. And make sure you clean the mess up really thouroughly, it can't still smell or she will continue to do it.

Hiya and welcome from me and Moo Smile

I agree with Janey. It is essential that you clean the area very well and remove all trace. Fill a spray bottle with 200ml surgical spirits to 1ltre water for an inexpensive and effective pet odour neutraliser.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down