9 year old male staffie urinating ramdomly

4 posters

Go down

9 year old male staffie urinating ramdomly Empty 9 year old male staffie urinating ramdomly

Post by samw Mon Jul 15 2013, 10:40

Hi I have a 9 year old male staffie who about 2 years ago began urinating randomly, especially on the corner of my sons bed. He cocks his leg up now on anything new which does seem behavioural, however, why was this not an issue from him being a puppy up to approx 8 years of age. I do not think he has incontinence issues as when he is left in the kitchen at night he does not soil it or anything in it. Any ideas would be most welcome as it is really starting to become an issue for us. Thanks

samw
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Charlie
Dog(s) Ages : 9 years
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

9 year old male staffie urinating ramdomly Empty Re: 9 year old male staffie urinating ramdomly

Post by Maria90 Mon Jul 15 2013, 10:47

Hi and welcome to the forum from Rocky and I, I have moved your topic to the Staffordshire Bull Terrier Chat as it will get more views here Smile Firstly, does your dog have easy access to the yard or is being taken out for toilet? Also when he does go toilet in the house, is it only in the one spot? or in various places? When they wee in the house its best to use a bio washing powder to clean the mess to take away the scent that dogs can pick up which makes them want to go in the same place again. Im not too sure if it would be health related, im sure someone will be along with some more advice Smile

https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com/f7-new-member-introductions

Why don't you come over and introduce yourself?
Maria90
Maria90
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 10 months (09.01.2013)
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 453

Back to top Go down

9 year old male staffie urinating ramdomly Empty Re: 9 year old male staffie urinating ramdomly

Post by samw Mon Jul 15 2013, 10:55

Hi Maria and thanks very much for your reply. He just urinates in the same place upstairs and has done for about 2 years. We have even cut the bit of carpet out and covered it with many many rugs and he continues to do it at any given opportunity as he is not really allowed upstairs!! I have cleaned the area and even used bleach on the bare floorboards but he continues. He has even started urinating on anything that is in our garden and especially our babys toys, cots ect.

samw

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Mon Jul 15 2013, 11:01

how many times are you walking him and how long for?

Steve

Status Status :

Male
Support total : 1443

https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by samw Mon Jul 15 2013, 11:02

He gets walked once per day for about half an hour

samw

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by samw Mon Jul 15 2013, 11:03

I will try and take him out a little bit more, but I do not think this is the issue really

samw

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Mon Jul 15 2013, 11:09

I just noticed that you say you have cleaned the area with bleach, this is not the best cleaning option as a scent of ammonia will remain and encourage your dog to continue to urinate in the area. Maybe better to use a non biological washing detergent to clean rather than the bleach.
Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria90 Mon Jul 15 2013, 11:10

As they are very active dogs, I would try taking him out at least 2-3 times a day and see how you go.
Maria90
Maria90

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Mon Jul 15 2013, 11:15

samw wrote:He gets walked once per day for about half an hour

This is not enough exercise for your dog, please try to increase the amount of time he is walked.
Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by samw Mon Jul 15 2013, 11:24

easier said than done......

samw

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jul 15 2013, 11:24

Same advice as above, I know you perhaps don't believe that exercise is the problem but it is the major key to a lot of problems. Hope things improve for you Smile 

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria90 Mon Jul 15 2013, 11:28

I know it is easier said that done, but they are very active, and require a lot of exercise, other wise they are going to find other avenues to get attention and play up. Try get in some play time as well, wear him out with some running around the yard, or even a close by park with a long training lead, play some tug, or throw a ball around, Rocky goes mad if he doesn't get his normal 2-3 walks a day, starts doing things he knows he shouldn't.
Maria90
Maria90

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jul 15 2013, 11:51

The behaviour probably started from some change in routine/boredom, or even a touch of cystitis, and is now a habit. As already said, bleach won't help because it leaves a smell of ammonia which to a dog is similar to urine & so he'll continue to mark there. A solution of biological washing powder or liquid is the best & cheapest way to clean up urine accidents.

Does this only happen while you're out? Has he had a check up from the vet to make sure there's no underlying problems with his urinary tract?

samw wrote:easier said than done......

Dogs, especially active breeds like the Stafford, need at least 2 and preferably 3 walks per day of approx. 45 minutes each. You say it's easier said than done, but when you have a dog you have to make time for that sort of thing!

I managed my Stafford's walks when my children were only babies/toddlers - if I can do it, so can others!Big Grin 

Back to top Go down

Post by samw Mon Jul 15 2013, 11:57

Well all I can say is that you most certainly need a medal then. Surprised  he has managed fine for the last 9 years. I will most certainly increase his active time and try what has been suggested but if he continues to urinate in my house then unfortunately I will have to look at re homing him. It appears that I may have joined the wrong website as all the "experts" seem to know best and are rather patronising!

samw

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jul 15 2013, 12:00

samw wrote:Well all I can say is that you most certainly need a medal then. Surprised  he has managed fine for the last 9 years. I will most certainly increase his active time and try what has been suggested but  if he continues to urinate in my house then unfortunately I will have to look at re homing him. It appears that I may have joined the wrong website as all the "experts" seem to know best and are rather patronising!

And your post there isn't patronising?

I don't need a medal, I just found time for my dog after my kids were born!

If you're saying you'd get rid of a 9 year old dog just because it has urination problems, then maybe you are on the wrong site!angry 

Back to top Go down

Post by samw Mon Jul 15 2013, 12:07

I suppose it all depends on how much you like to have a clean house for you and your children! I agree that too many dogs especially staffs are up for re homing and it is sad, however if the owners are in a position where they cannot manage the dog anymore would you rather them be given the chance of re homing or be put to sleep well before their time? I know for a fact that we will not be getting rid of our dog but people also need to respect what other people with any breed of dog are going through when they are asking for advice.

samw

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Mon Jul 15 2013, 12:09

Please do not look at our advice as being patronising we are trying to help you with the information you have given us.

May I ask how old your son is? Does he help with any of Charlies training or feeding ? It may be that your son needs to be involved with Charlie. Maybe you could get him to help with the feeding which will create a bond with the dog.

Please do not give up on Charlie, there are already so many Staffys and Staffy crossed in rescue centres now that they cannot cope. The future for an older dog there would be very bleak.
Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by samw Mon Jul 15 2013, 12:22

My son is 13 so has aways been around and charlie already has a lovely bond with the children. I will try the suggestions and see how we go, thanks

samw

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Mon Jul 15 2013, 12:35

Thank you, please let us know how you get on.
Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jul 15 2013, 20:45

samw wrote:I suppose it all depends on how much you like to have a clean house for you and your children!

My house was clean.

Your dog obviously has a problem and all we're trying to do is figure out what it is, and what may correct the behaviour. You feel that 30 minutes once a day is enough exercise for a dog. We know differently.

Yes, he's put up with it for 9 years, but that's because he has had no choice. It may not be the reason for his urinating, but it can't be helping. As a dog gets older, his bladder gets weaker.

samw wrote:I agree that too many dogs especially staffs are up for re homing and it is sad, however if the owners are in a position where they cannot manage the dog anymore would you rather them be given the chance of re homing or be put to sleep well before their time?

Nobody has sugested, even obliquely, that your dog should be pts!

samw wrote: I know for a fact that we will not be getting rid of our dog

Really? Then why did you say you may have to think about it?

samw wrote:people also need to respect what other people with any breed of dog are going through when they are asking for advice.

When has anyone not respected what you are going through? Had that been the case, nobody would be trying to come up with reasons/solutions.

You have had some good advice/sugestions. Whether you decide to use that advice or follow those sugestions is entirely your choice.

Back to top Go down

Post by samw Tue Jul 16 2013, 10:32

Caryll.... oo it appears to me that I may have really hit a nerve with you as you have felt the need to disect my comments to support your own!
In terms of taking him out, he does go out more regularly I was just stating a general and I would presume that there are many dogs out there that do not get walked at all!!
I merely said I may think about re homing him, which I did and I wont be, I hope this cheers you up as you have obviously nothing better to do with your time than make yourself feel better on this site!
Situations change within peoples lives many times and for some people this means unfortunately having to re home any pet, if this has never happened to you and you can catergorically state that it never will, then lucky you you are a mindreader.
For everyone else, yes I agree and thank people for their advice and support and we will will try everything.

samw

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 16 2013, 13:19

If life gets a bit tough, would you rehome your kids? No? Then why even consider rehoming your pet.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 16 2013, 13:29

I'm not going to have a go at you or lecture you about what you may or may not be doing wrong, as others have already voiced my opinions.

What I will say is that you came onto this forum through your own choice, presumably to find a solution to your problem - your dog urinating in the house.

Nobody is picking on you or trying to patronise you. You asked for help and they're giving it to you. You can't expect people to lie and tell you everything is fine! If they did that, they wouldn't be doing you, your family or your dog any favours.

You don't have to listen to the advice given, but if you want to find the solution to your problem, I think it would be a bad idea not to listen. The people on this thread are only trying to help you and your dog. They're not saying these things to be cruel!

I understand that it's extremely frustrating to have a dog suddenly start acting out, particularly if you're worried about the hygiene effect it could have on your family. But the tensions caused by the trouble you're having with your dog could be harmful to your family as well, which is why I think it's best just to take a deep breath and think things through calmly and rationally. It can't hurt to try some of the suggestions mentioned. Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 16 2013, 19:40

samw wrote:Caryll.... oo it appears to me that I may have really hit a nerve with you as you have felt the need to disect my comments to support your own!
In terms of taking him out, he does go out more regularly I was just stating a general and I would presume that there are many dogs out there that do not get walked at all!!
I merely said I may think about re homing him, which I did and I wont be, I hope this cheers you up as you have obviously nothing better to do with your time than make yourself feel better on this site!
Situations change within peoples lives many times and for some people this means unfortunately having to re home any pet, if this has never happened to you and you  can catergorically state that it never will, then lucky you you are a mindreader.
For everyone else, yes I agree and thank people for their advice and support and we will will try everything.

Please don't make it personal , this is good general advice that has been given to many and it does help (including me) . Some people like Caryll come from a well experienced backround of breed specific ownership and are pretty well qualified to help from experience and not sitting around trying to make themselves feel better . Other people and many other members (staff included) started off as novices to the forum and have learned heaps by spending the time reading and asking and now have the opportunity to pay these lessons back to the staffy community.
What you don't see is this kind of behaviour / problem /issue cropping up time and time again for the same reasons , and if you want to raise a red rag to a bull on here we love our dogs to bits so please don't mention subjects in temper or the heat of the moment like rehoming etc , I can guarantee it will never get a polite or positive response

From me its only advice , not looking to be shot down in flames if you don't like my comments but its your choice whether you listen or not , remember you came to us for help and weren't ambushed Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 16 2013, 20:03

If he's peeing on the same spot then best thing to do is wash it with a mix of biological washing powder and warm water to really get rid of the smell, and hopefully try to discourage him from peeing in that spot

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 16 2013, 20:13

samw wrote:Caryll.... oo it appears to me that I may have really hit a nerve with you as you have felt the need to disect my comments to support your own!

Don't flatter yourself. I haven't 'disected' your comments, just broken them down so that I could answer each point.

samw wrote:In terms of taking him out, he does go out more regularly I was just stating a general and I would presume that there are many dogs out there that do not get walked at all!!

You do seem to contradict yourself, don't you? You say you're thinking of having him rehomed, and then you're not. You say he gets one walk of 30 minutes a day, and then it's more. Hard to know exactly what to believe, isn't it?

samw wrote:I hope this cheers you up as you have obviously nothing better to do with your time than make yourself feel better on this site!

Laughing Laughing  Well, thank you! You obviously feel I needed to feel better - but unfortunately, you've failed.

samw wrote:Situations change within peoples lives many times and for some people this means unfortunately having to re home any pet, if this has never happened to you and you can catergorically state that it never will, then lucky you you are a mindreader.

This really has nothing whatsoever to do with your situation - unless, of course, something has changed in your circumstances that has affected your dog?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 16 2013, 21:08

samw wrote:Hi Maria and thanks very much for your reply. He just urinates in the same place upstairs and has done for about 2 years. We have even cut the bit of carpet out and covered it with many many rugs and he continues to do it at any given opportunity as he is not really allowed upstairs!! I have cleaned the area and even used bleach on the bare floorboards but he continues. He has even started urinating on anything that is in our garden and especially our babys toys, cots ect.
Im wondering is he feeling a little left out because of the baby? He sounds like he's marking to me. Try to spend some 1 on 1 time with him. Im not saying your not doing so already, but this will help reinforce your bond, just to let him know he's still an important family member. I read some good advice regarding this some where, I'll loo and post for you. As for cleaning his wee, bleach is a big no no, you can get a spray from your pet shop that will take his scent scent away xxx

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down